Preparing for esophagogastroduodenoscopy
Such diagnostic procedure will require careful preparation. It includes a cleansing of the digestive tract from the presence of gastric juice and mucus.
Training requirements before conducting the study:
1. To abandon the use of alcoholic beverages and spicy food for 3 days before endoscopy.
2. 10 hours before gastroscopy can not eat.
3. Training includes mandatory refusal of blood thinners.
4. Alert the treating physician if an allergic reaction to any medicines.
A procedure called esophagogastroduodenoscopy or EGD is short helps to inspect the lining of the esophagus and stomach. The study is carried out by introducing into the human body through the oral cavity of the special probe in the form of an optical tube equipped with a video camera. Gastroscopy involves taking tissue from the examined on biopsy, to determine the absence or presence of malignancy in the stomach. As a rule, it is made from the most suspicious areas of the body.
In preparation for EGD in advance it is necessary to rinse a throat antiseptic, thereby reducing the sensitivity. This will make it easier to transfer the most difficult initial moment of manipulation – the penetration of the fiberscope. You may feel pain during biopsy. But it takes only a minute, which does not require special training to her.
There is a risk of bleeding in the process of the biopsy of the polyps due to the presence of a dense network of capillaries. This can be avoided by abandoning the use of drugs against inflammation non-steroidal origin and aspirin. Not on the day of the esophagogastroduodenoscopy to use means of neutralizing the hydrochloric acid. The reason – injury caused by the probe due to lack of required fluids.
The process involves signing papers of consent of patient to carry it out with a discussion of the likely consequences and risks.
Recommendations for preparation to the examination:
- If there is sufficient time to try not to eat spicy food, seeds, nuts and chocolate – at least 2 days. The same applies to alcohol.
- Last time you can eat no later than 6 PM. And the dishes should be of easily digestible foods.
- The day before the endoscopy of the stomach can not eat fiber, meat salads with mayonnaise, whole wheat bread, meat with fatty fish and cheeses.
Dinner should consist of green salad with white chicken meat. You can eat steam cutlets of chicken, buckwheat cereal and low-fat cottage cheese. Not recommended for beans and barley.
On the appointed day, preparing the patient for gastroscopy includes:
1. Complete abstinence from food and drink. It is permissible to drink a small amount of water 4 hours before the procedure.
2. If the patient is taking medicines in the form of capsules or tablets will need to refrain from their use, so that nothing prevented a thorough examination.
3. Quitting Smoking at least a day before the endoscopy.
Examination of the stomach in this way is associated with increased gag reflex. It is therefore very important to implement all the recommendations in order to avoid unpleasant manifestations in the process of conducting a gastroscopy.
In some cases, prescribe endoscopy?
Overview of the digestive tract are shown in the presence of symptoms such as:
- Bleeding in the stomach and intestines.
- Vomiting blood.
- Chair in the form of tar.
- Chest pain or epigastric.
- Reflux esophagitis.
- Ulcer of the duodenum.
- The presence of foreign bodies in the esophagus or stomach.
- Postoperative relapse.
With endoscopy there is a possibility to circumvent such research, as thoraco-and laparotomy. The procedure allows to find small or insignificant lesions, not detected by x-ray. Also gastroscopy of the stomach allows to remove trapped in the body soft and small foreign body is easy suction. A hard and larger are removed with special forceps and loop (coagulation).
Depending on the order of execution of the survey will be and limitations. For example, an emergency gastroscopy of the stomach, make almost any case, even with myocardial infarction in the acute form.
But during routine endoscopy of the stomach, there are limitations:
- Cardiovascular failure in severe stage.
- Myocardial infarction in the acute form.
- Severely disturbed brain bleed.
- Respiratory failure (severe).
- The recovery period after a stroke or heart attack.
- Aneurysm (carotid sinuses).
- Disturbed heart rhythm.
- Hypertension (crisis).
- Mental disorder severe.
All of these contraindications require medical consultation to assess the situation and identify possible consequences as appropriate to the conduct of the examination of the stomach.
Tips for patients
Before you go for such a procedure, the doctor should be informed about the availability of the following factors:
1. The presence of allergic reactions to medications. This is especially true anesthetic and antiseptic drugs.
2. Disease SSS with the adoption of appropriate means.
4. Diabetes making insulin.
5. The earlier operations and the transferred radiation therapy to the stomach.
6. Pathology of blood and the use of drugs acting on thinning of blood and clotting.
It is also important clothes – free and not easily soiled. Do not wear tight belts, tight sweaters, jewelry and jewelry. And don’t forget about the moral training – do not worry, be nervous and afraid. On EGD it is best to come early, but not too early, not to sit long under the doors of the Cabinet.
For gastroscopy will be required all previous test results, x-rays and other available surveys. For the procedure to bring a towel or wet wipes to bring himself up after a endoscopy of the stomach.
How is a gastroscopy?
For starters, the person laid on the surface on your left side with crossed belly legs and a straight back. If esophagogastroduodenoscopy do with the use of anesthesia, the patient lying on his back. By entering the device in the mouth, the patient must swallow for a better promotion on the esophagus. To suppress vomiting need to breathe evenly and calmly. Through the gastroscope there is a flow of air to straighten all the folds of the stomach.
Many people have a fear of choking, but it should not be afraid of normal breathing do not interfere. With the introduction of additional instrumentation to have the ability to remove polyps with submucosal pathological formations in the stomach, esophagus or duodenum. Also stops bleeding ulcers in chronic and acute form, superimposes the ligature at advanced vein and extracted a foreign body.
Modern medicine has the newest equipment, allowing to safely do a endoscopy of the stomach with minimal risk. Statistics indicate 1% of complications in patients with the need to seek medical help. These include perforation, requiring surgical intervention. There is also the risk of hemorrhage, formed due to destruction of the walls of the examined organ or biopsy and polypectomy.
But it is very rare. Therefore, the procedure must be done without abandoning the destination, especially if you have the above symptoms and indications. Thereby can be prevented in the early stages of a serious and severe disease developing in the body.