Pain in the wrist is a common cause of treatment of patients to doctors. Moreover, this syndrome always occurs acutely, without any “foreplay”, which is connected with the peculiarities of the anatomical structure of the wrist joint. The fact that the synovium of the joint is fed by a large number of nerve, lymph and blood endings, therefore any inflammatory process instantly responds to the strongest pain.
Causes of arthritis of the wrist joint
Rarely consider the disease is manifested as an independent disease, according to statistics, in most cases it is diagnosed as a complication/manifestation of lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis (systemic lesions).
Doctors consider other causes of arthritis of the wrist joint – for example, it can occur as a complication of tuberculosis, venereal and/or infectious pathologies. Pathogenic micro-organisms that provoke an inflammatory process, may penetrate into the wrist joint from any purulent focus with the flow of lymph or blood.
There is such a thing as an infectious-allergic arthritis, it is rarely manifested in the wrist joint, but this possibility of mind can not produce.
Symptoms of arthritis wrist joint
Symptoms of arthritis of the wrist joint is usually of variable, as it depends on several factors: how long there is inflammation in the hands, what is the reason contributed to the development of these diseases, what are the common diseases of a chronic nature is present in humans.
The main symptoms of arthritis of the wrist joint are:
- Pain. It the person experiences all the time, but particularly this syndrome manifests itself when trying to make some movement with the brush and fingers. At the beginning of the development of pathology of pain is present only in the morning, immediately after awakening, and within 30-40 minutes the status is back to normal, and the person can lead a normal lifestyle. Often arthritis pain wrist joint is accompanied by burning and tingling, these symptoms may be present early in the development of the inflammatory process, and in advanced disease.
- Stiffness. The patient can not move my fingers, turn in the direction you brush, patients describe this condition as “on the hand is too narrow, compressing the glove”. In order to perform some basic actions, patients are forced for 10-15 minutes to stretch the hand and fingers.
- The swelling and redness. The skin around the wrist becomes raised, tender and red, and touching it, you can feel an obvious increase in body temperature of a local character. Moreover, at the beginning of arthritis of the wrist joint these symptoms may be absent, then (as the progression of the inflammatory process) swollen, which extends to the fingers. And only at the moment of active disease progression redness of the skin.
- Crepitus. This is a characteristic articular creaking noise appears when driving. It should not be confused with the clicks in the joints, which, in principle, are the norm.
In addition, a person with developing arthritis of the wrist joint are concerned about General weakness, increased drowsiness, emotional instability background, irritability, disorders in the digestive system (e.g., a decrease or lack of appetite). Such manifestations of the disease in question is not typical, but are the place to be due to the progressive inflammatory process in the body.
Note:at a very early stage of development of arthritis of the wrist joint is practically invisible. Patients report some stiffness in the hands in the morning (for example, it is difficult to open a tap with water) and moderate pain (described as “aches”). These syndromes disappear literally 15-30 minutes and, therefore, nobody pays attention. Meanwhile, it is a reason to go to the doctor and clarify the diagnosis and begin treatment.
Treatment of arthritis of the wrist joint
The treatment of the disease should be comprehensive and carried out only under the supervision of a specialist.
The acute phase of the disease
Doctors prescribed to patients receiving non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs that quickly relieve pain and stop the development of the inflammatory process. In severe cases when the pain is unbearable, and drugs of this pharmacological group are injected directly into the inflammation.
In most cases the acute phase of arthritis of the wrist joint requires immobilization of the wrist, the patient should impose on her special belt, which prevents the movement of the joint.
The phase of remission
Patients should be prepared for the fact that treatment of arthritis of the wrist joint is a long process, therapy conducted within a few months. Treatment the doctor selects for each patient individually, but it is possible to allocate some the basic principles of the treatment of the above diseases in remission:
- Are assigned to drugs based on glucosamine and chondroitin. Course of these drugs is approximately 3 months, during which there is a restoration of hyaline cartilage of the wrist joint.
- The patient is given vasodilators. They are necessary in order to provide excellent blood supply to the joints, and to do it in the narrowing of blood vessels impossible. Such medicines include Tehnical, Actovegin and/or Trental. They are introduced intramuscularly or intravenously in a single course of treatment the doctors prescribed 10 injections.
- Assigned antibacterial drugs. It only makes sense if during the examination the patient was diagnosed with arthritis bacterial origin. In the case of active progression of the considered disease, injections of antibiotics are made directly to the inflammation.
- The patient should take vitamin-mineral complexes. They have to pick up the attending physician, taking into consideration the necessity of strengthening of such complexes with calcium.
Note:if the above therapy fails, the patient is prescribed corticosteroids and antimalarial drugs. But the doctors made every effort to avoid such appointments – the effect of such short-term funds, but the side effects can be a lot that will worsen the patient’s condition.
In remission, doctors recommend active use of funds local applications to ease symptoms. We are talking about ointments, which are non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents, the advantage of using them is the lack of negative effects of drugs on the gastrointestinal tract.
In the framework of complex therapy the doctors prescribe physiotherapy – acupuncture, electrophoresis, ultrasound, kvartsevanie. The most effective treatments, specifically, arthritis of the wrist joint are electrophoresis and ultrasound, while in other countries (e.g., China) use only acupuncture.
We should also mention the role of massage and medical gymnastics. First, such procedures should only be undertaken by specialists, at least at the beginning of treatment – the patient will be able to study, and then regularly. Secondly, any physical impact on the patient’s joint can be carried out only in remission. Thirdly, massage and exercises should not cause pain and discomfort.
Diet for arthritis wrist joint
To adhere to certain rules of nutrition in this disease will need all his life, and, in moments of aggravation of arthritis of the radiocarpal joint, and during remission.
You want to exclude from the diet:
- hot pepper;
- fatty meat;
- foods cooked on the grill;
- alcoholic beverages.
It is desirable to limit in the moments of exacerbation of the disease the use of:
- cocoa (including chocolate, coffee);
- green onions;
Definitely need to include in the diet:
- nuts (walnuts, hazelnuts, cashews, but would be particularly useful almonds);
- fruits and vegetables, which have a lot of vitamin C (papaya, oranges, peaches, gooseberries);
- sea fatty fish (especially salmon would be useful);
- ginger and turmeric (these products contribute to the reduction of the inflammatory process);
- millet, buckwheat, rice and oatmeal.
In the preparation of ration/diet patient diagnosed with arthritis of the wrist joint must adhere to the following rules:
- Break between meals should not be more than 3 hours.
- Do not overeat, but starve will be harmful.
- If you have excess weight, then you need to get rid of it, but only under the supervision of a specialist.
- Every day you should drink certain amount of water, which will determine the attending physician.
Rules for the treatment of arthritis of the wrist joint
When pain in the hands, everyone tries to apply any lotions, compresses – they do bring relief, but it will be short and will not stop the inflammatory process. Patients before the disease have to understand that a positive result after therapy is possible only in case if there will be some rules. These include:
- Do not self medicate. Any, even the most proven methods of treatment for diseased joints, should be agreed with your doctor.
- The load on the hands should be minimal. If this point is connected with the peculiarities of the labour activity, in periods of exacerbation of the disease should take sick leave.
- Every day you need to perform the exercises from a course of physiotherapy, which will recommend a doctor. They can be made only in the period of remission, no effort when you exercise not need to make.
- Heavy objects to raise the banned, a sudden movement of the brushes also carry undesirable.
- Night rest of the patient should be complete at least 8 hours.
- The diet should be followed precisely, without a break for weekends and holidays.
Arthritis wrist joint – disease is difficult, treatment lends itself to hard, full recovery does not occur. But with timely diagnosis and unconditional performance of all appointments and recommendations of the attending physician it is possible to achieve long-term remission and not lose the ability to work.
Yana Aleksandrovna Tsygankova, medical columnist, the therapist of the highest qualification category