To wash the baby’s nose can be the first weeks of life. But, because of their age, children under one year and older are different. Babies nose lavage is performed purely for medical reasons, because at an early age, the anatomical structure of the head differs, and the liquid used for washing the nasal passages, can get into the Eustachian tube, leading to the development of otitis media.
If the procedure was performed correctly, in accordance with the recommendations of the pediatrician, the likelihood of complications is minimized.
Indications for lavage
- remove from the nose of thick mucus;
- remove from the nose of the hardened crust;
- remove from the nose of dust and allergens;
- moisturize the nasal mucosa;
- to facilitate breathing;
- to provide peaceful sleep to the child.
Nose lavage is carried out in cases when you want to clear nasal passages prior to application of local medications (drops, sprays) — then the drug will act more effectively. Also, this procedure becomes relevant during the heating period, when due to the increase in room temperature reduces the humidity. Dry air leads to drying of the mucosa, on the cover which are cracks — and this is the best condition for the penetration into the body of viruses. That’s why hydration of the mucosa is an important element of preventive measures against respiratory diseases.
Also, this procedure is indicated for young children who do not know how to independently blow snot to clear their nasal passages.
Contraindications — when to wash the baby’s nose should not be?
This procedure is very effective, but it also has a number of contraindications.
- acute otitis media;
- obstruction of the nasal passages;
- a deviated septum;
- weak capillary net in the nasal passages (often bleeding);
- a different sort of education to mucous.
If the child has a clear contraindications to the procedure, it is still before washing you should consult with your doctor. It will determine whether the procedure is necessary, and will select the best method of washing and drugs, the purpose of which depends on the initial state of the patient and the goals to be achieved.
How to wash the baby’s nose right?
Nasal rinses are performed 2-3 times a day. Definitely the first time in the morning to clear the nasal passages from what has accumulated in them for the night and the last before bed to ease breathing and thereby ensure a peaceful sleep.
Improperly performed procedure can lead to injury of the middle ear mucosa and soft tissues. That is why one must carefully study the theory, and only then proceed to manipulation. To two years children nasal lavage is recommended in the clinic — if it is to do a qualified health care provider, likelihood of complications is significantly reduced.
If you carry out the procedure at home, regardless of the age of the child, must carefully monitor the sterilization of instruments used. They should be treated with steam or antiseptic (hydrogen peroxide or “Chlorhexidine”).
The choice of technology nasal lavage is individually — effective, but every single child is easier to use any one specific method. At the age of 3 years the child can already say that he didn’t like and why — this allows you to listen to his feelings and to choose this method of nasal lavage, which will be most suitable for the baby.
The traditional method of washing (“grandma”)
This option is more convenient that it doesn’t need inventory. But there are some inconveniences: it can be used only with children age five and older.
The wash procedure in this case can be described as follows:
- Standing at the sink or bath, the child puts her hands in front of a boat is touching the little finger side of your hands.
- In hand filled with salt water until about the middle of the palms.
- The child drops to the palms of the head and nose, takes a deep breath.
- Just holding your breath should exhale through the nose to bring the liquid together with the contents of the nasal passages.
Repeated this procedure several times until relieved. The complexity of the method is that the child should not ingest water: on the contrary, if ingested health will only worsen. But after several attempts, comes skill.
Washing the nose with a “Neti pot”
This method of cleansing the nasal passages requires the use of additional equipment (special silicone or metal teapot with a long spout, the outer edge of which ends clinopodium bell). Such a device is called a Neti pot and is especially popular in Indian culture, but due to practicality and ease of use, is rapidly gaining popularity with us.
The teapot is filled with salt water solution is all the necessary training.
The procedure is then as follows:
- A child stands at the sink or bathtub, turning his head to the side.
- In one nostril gently inserted the Neti pot so that the socket fits snugly against the walls of the nostrils, but without the use of force.
- Then the child bends at the waist over the sink and breathing through the mouth.
- At this time the parent tries to turn the Neti pot in such a way as to provide a slow but constant flow of water.
- Once the liquid begins to flow out the other nostril, it is necessary to detect 30 seconds, all the while continuing to breathe through the mouth.
- After the expiration of the specified interval, the Neti pot comes from the nose, then the respiratory passages are cleaned by blowing, and the procedure is repeated. Only now the spout of the Neti pot is inserted into the other nostril, and the child leans in the opposite direction.
This wash is good for children of senior preschool age as an unusual form of inventory allows you to invent different stories about the unit and its purpose. Copper Neti pot, a priori, the child will react more calmly than on the syringe, even if it is without the needle. By the way, this is also an effective method.
Washing the baby’s nose with a syringe or Turkey Baster
A more budget alternative to the Neti pot, which is sold in any pharmacy — it is a syringe. For washing baby’s nose thus preparing the saline solution, thoroughly mixed, and then typed in a syringe. It is better to use products a small amount — it’s easier to adjust the intensity of the jets.
Principle of the procedure is similar to the previous:
- The child leans over the sink while rotating on the side of the head.
- In his nasal passage introduces the tip of the syringe or the syringe, then slowly the pressure of the issued jet.
- The fluid should flow out through the second nostril, although it is possible for some of the water flowed out and through the mouth.
- The syringe is removed, the nasal passages clear by blowing, and the procedure repeat if necessary.
This procedure requires peace of mind from the child, because the power head is controlled manually. If the congestion is big, you may need to re-set the fluid into the syringe, and even three times. If congestion remains, the procedure should be repeated in a few hours to give time for the walls of the nose to recover.
Lavage of the nose of the child with the irrigator
In the pharmacies you can buy nasal irrigators — the devices used to facilitate this procedure. In the capacity of the irrigator is typed in saline solution, then tip is introduced into the nostril, and irrigator is included: water to yield automatically under the optimum pressure.
Some devices are a few tips: prophylactic (each day) and rinsing for a more intensive washing (useful when stuffy nose caused by infection).
The drawback of this procedure one is the cost of the device significantly above the cost of the conventional syringe .
Nasal lavage of children with the use of pharmacy drugs
The most convenient way because it requires extra effort — quite a drip (if in drip form) or injected (if in the form of a spray) specified on the package number of times. The drawback is the rapid consumption of the drug, and also that a body can get used to the medication, and without it, the nasal mucosa will be dry, even if obvious reasons for this.
Preparations in spray form can be useful, but it is not recommended to give children under 6 years of age: they have too weak of vascular mesh and delicate mucosa, and the injection of the drug under pressure can cause damage to the skin.
In addition, the pharmacy solutions for washing is often used for additional enrichment tools in trace elements and vitamin complexes.
Than to wash the baby’s nose?
If the finished products in the home medicine Cabinet no, the saline solution can be prepared in minutes. This heated 250 ml of water, add 1 tsp salt (preferably sea — iodized), well stirred and is cooled to a comfortable temperature. Can be done from a greater volume, enough for several applications.
This amount of salt will be enough to achieve the desired effect, but increasing it may lead to tingling, tingling and other discomfort.
What else can you rinse your child? You can use decoctions of herbs: chamomile, calendula, propolis. They relieve swelling and fight the virus. To prepare the broth you need 1 tsp. of the crushed plant to brew in 250 ml of water, cool and drain. But it is important to first make sure that the child is not allergic to the components used, otherwise from such treatment will be much more harm than good.
You can use saline, which is sold in small vials, and big banks. Also from the pharmacy medicines that can be purchased without a prescription, a good isotonic saline solutions, prepared on the basis of salts of the Mediterranean and Dead seas.
Of the most popular medicines for nasal lavage is to provide:
- “But Sol”;
- “Other means”;
These drugs can be applied from a very early age, but it is preferable first to obtain the consent of the attending physician.
How and what you can wash the baby’s nose?
At this age, children are restless, they still do not explain the significance of treatments and nasal passages they are very narrow. All this significantly complicates the procedure of nasal lavage in a child. Well, if this manipulation can be carried out by an experienced health care provider. But it turns out not always. How and what to wash the baby’s nose at home?
The best would be not use syringe or Neti pot, and the usual sterile pipettes — because it will flow exactly as much liquid as is sufficient to rinse the nasal passages, but not enough to cause inflammation of the middle ear.
For a newborn the most convenient position will be lying on your back. Useful if someone from the family will be able to keep baby in one position. But assistants if not, you can cope by yourself, holding the child’s foot with his own.
How to wash the nose from snot to little kids:
- To gain the saline solution in the pipette.
- To put the baby on a flat surface.
- Turning his head to the side, you can’t throw back.
- To enter the pipette tip or the pharmacy medicine in baby’s nose, to rinse for 2-3 seconds.
- To put the child or to raise it “column,” to facilitate the excretion of mucus.
- If necessary, use a nasal aspirator for sucking dirt.
Exactly the same procedure for the second nasal passage. Most often pediatricians recommend infants saline, a weak solution of iodized salt (less than half the standard concentration) or drugs “saline”, “Akvamaris”, “Dolphin”.
How to choose a composition for washing (saline, sea water or distilled) in the case of children the first year of life parents should make the decision not independently, but consulting with a physician. At this age it is very easy to hurt the baby, because even a procedure as washing out the nose must be approved by a specialist