With the arrival of cold weather, autumn drizzle, paint faded and slush, many people feel fatigue, which is associated with seasonal depression. Change of psycho-emotional state usually occurs from late October and lasts until the end of winter.
The severity of the autumn Blues in all individual, but common signs to look approximately so:
- the reluctance to do anything;
- constant drowsiness;
- depressed mood;
- lack of energy;
- the change in eating habits (poor appetite or conversely, overeating);
- sleep disorders;
- the inability to enjoy any of the things;
- feeling of weakness in the morning;
- a decrease of sexual desire;
- irritability, tearfulness.
Try to understand why developing autumn depression and how to fight it.
Reasons autumn depression
- The lack of sunlight and vitamin D. Functions of the body depend on solar energy. The inhabitants of tropical countries are less prone to seasonal mood swings. This is due to the level of vitamin D in the body, which is synthesized under the influence of sunlight. Vitamin D is also considered to be the active metabolic hormone, which affects many biochemical reactions. In the summer it is enough for good health, but in the off-season (late autumn to mid-scale), according to studies, its level is dramatically reduced, which leads to depressed mood and immune reactions. Therefore, in addition to boredom, there is a probability of colds, which further taints the perception of the world.
- Psycho-emotional state. Indirect impact on the mood, the realization that autumn is the “evening of the year”, ahead of a long winter, and the new home features bright emotions too far. Some are beginning to blame myself for failed tasks, because the end of the year – time to summarize.
- Stay under stress. A stressful situation, rush the pace of work, inadequate rest are often the cause of unstable States of mind: in November and December prepare annual reports in many organizations.
- Predisposition to depressive disorders. As a rule, are more prone to depression women due to hormonal background, but in men this condition is more pronounced. Fortunately, the usual autumnal depression is not as significant displays, and adjusted softer impacts. However, measures should be taken as a possible “treatment” in sickness and suffering quality of life.
It is important
- The number of somatic pathology, which helps to change the emotional background.
First and foremost, for diseases which are considered as predisposing factors for the autumn Blues, include:
- the malfunction of the thyroid gland;
- diseases accompanied by hormonal changes (in men low testosterone in women – estrogen);
- some psychiatric illness;
- hypertension. Many hypertensive patients with the change of weather in autumn “jumps” blood pressure that has an impact on psycho-emotional background.
- An improper diet. Excess fatty foods, fast carbs, alcohol in large quantities, a lot of strong coffee or tea – bad helpers in the fight against the autumn Blues and depression.
What is necessary to pass examination for depression
Depression does not have any specific changes in the analyses that examined the need for exception of General pathology that is not related to psychology or psychiatry. Not to be redundant following analysis:
If all indicators in norm, and with the longing to handle fails, you may need to consult a psychologist or psychiatrist.
How to get rid of autumn depression
To get rid of autumn melancholy, apathy and improve your mood, you can adopt a few tips:
- Surround yourself with bright things: colored scarf, lots of plants, colorful dishes on a subconscious level will set up the brain for positive emotions.
- Do not miss the opportunity at least a little time under direct sunlight. Do not save on electricity: psychologists say that light is the best the enemy of depression.
- Take vitamins, especially vitamin D, it will help to overcome the seasonal Blues and will strengthen the immune system.
- Relax fully in the autumn and winter, increasing the sleep duration to 1 hour and promotes good health.
- Communicate more with family and friends, on weekdays to arrange a small celebration.
- The weekend after an active day outdoors you can afford a little mulled wine and tangerine juice.
It is important not to forget about a reasonable dose, 150-200 ml of mulled wine will benefit a larger number will have the opposite effect on mood, as the autumn of sadness added to a hangover.
- Smoking affects the brain. Ditch unhealthy habits.
- Find something for everyone, it can be needlework, reading, playing a musical instrument, dancing, etc.
- Some good help aromatherapy. For its implementation using a simple burner with a candle and oils. Especially good feedback from applications for seasonal depression natural citrus oils: orange, lemon. Note that here all individually, and possibly more suited to a different flavor. Essential components eliminate the anxiety, mood swings, normalize sleep. Course aromatherapy at least 3 weeks of daily use.
- Learn the basics of meditation and relaxing exercises.
It is noticed that group training sessions have a greater effect.
If possible, travel to meet with the sun, there is a joke that the best way out of depression – Sheremetyevo, Domodedovo, Vnukovo…
How to treat seasonal depression: drugs
List some drugs with mild effect:
More serious medications:
- Venlafaxine, etc.
It is important
Before taking need to be mandatory to consult with your doctor.
I would like to caution against self-selection of antidepressants: among them there are drugs with severe side effects and contraindications. In addition, there is the possibility of inadequate choice and dosage, develops when the opposite effect and do not have the strength to get dressed and go to work.
How to eat to conquer autumn depression
Diet when autumn depression involves including in the diet foods with a high content of amino acids, zinc, vitamins that increase dopamine levels — the hormone from the group of neurotransmitters, which are synthesized by brain cells. This hormone is often called the “happiness hormone”.
Read more about neurotransmitters, particularly, dopamine as one of the chemical factors internal reinforcements and an important part of the “reward system” of the brain, says the biologist, scientific journalist Asya Kazantseva:
A list of recommended products in the autumn depressive States:
- all kinds of nuts;
- sprouted wheat;
- milk and dairy products;
- lean meat, poultry, and fish;
- fruits, especially bananas and oranges and vegetables;
- olive oil.
Limit meats, sugar, fried foods. In a small number (not more than 50 grams per day) is useful in dark chocolate.
If you are taking antidepressants on prescription, alcohol is eliminated entirely. At night is not recommended dense dinner, preferably vegetables, fruits, juices, etc.
Victoria Mishina, doctor, medical commentator