Teeth whitening along with the treatment of caries is one of the most popular dental procedures. White smile is a sign of beauty, health and well-being, so pursuit of her people do not spare money and time.
In the Arsenal of modern dentistry there are many remedies for teeth whitening that lightens the enamel on 4-8 tones. These possibilities are provided in-office whitening, which is carried out using special dental equipment. There are special tools for home use whitening gels with Burr, which do not give such stunning results, but also allow you to get rid of the yellow and brown stains on tooth enamel.
However, it should be remembered that the white “tile” teeth indicate health, and radical whitening in most cases, damage tooth enamel and cause several dental problems. At home you can whiten your teeth no more than 1-2 tones – not enough for a Hollywood smile, but it is good for healthy and attractive teeth.
Someone should really whiten your teeth?
The primary reason for teeth whitening is becoming a darkening or yellowing of the tooth enamel when plaque penetrates the teeth so deeply that usual hygienic procedures do not help to get rid of it.
Causes of darkening of the enamel:
- Smoking. Nicotine is deposited in the tooth enamel and penetrate deep into her. Teeth are extremely unaesthetic “smoky” look. Toothpastes with whitening effect have too soft an action to cope with a touch of tobacco tar and nicotine. Home whitening will bring back the natural whiteness of teeth, but they can re-darken under the influence of negative habits;
- Excessive consumption of sweets. The interaction of microorganisms that live in the mouth, with carbohydrates leads to biochemical reactions with the release of various substances. They are aggressive act on the teeth. The enamel becomes so thin that through it shines the yellow dentin;
- Consumption of coffee and strong tea. Colored drinks can stain tooth enamel, which then will be impossible to call white. The color of the enamel is affected by red wine, strong tea, fresh and instant coffee. Brown plaque on the teeth quickly comes with regular use of these drinks;
- The antibiotic tetracycline. If the mother took tetracycline while waiting for the child, the beginnings of his teeth will turn yellow. The same effect, if children are taking tetracycline during tooth formation in early childhood (“tetracycline teeth”);
- Excessive intake of fluorine compounds. Environmental problems associated with poor water or air, food, can cause the development of dental fluorosis due to excess fluoride in the body. This disease is characterized by speckled enamel (“mottled teeth”);
- The underdevelopment of dental tissues. Hypoplasia is evident on the teeth in the form of spots of white or yellow. They are symmetrical and have the same size. If signs of hypoplasia noticeable when communicating with a person affected areas of the teeth sealed or bleach.
What you need to know when starting to whiten teeth at home?
Before you undertake a teeth whitening, it is advisable to consult a dentist to assess the quality of tooth enamel. She needs to be strong enough and have the necessary thickness. Stains formed on the teeth should not penetrate deep into the enamel, in this case, a domestic procedure does not bring results.
The health of teeth before carrying out home beauty treatments evaluated for pathology: periodontal disease, periodontitis, alveolar bone, cement seals, the abnormal eruption of wisdom teeth.
No extra precaution will be to assess the condition of seals. If between the filling and the tooth appeared in the gap, through them, penetrate corrosive and will cause destruction of the tooth from the inside.
After treatment of the enamel and produce the desired effect it is undesirable to smoke and drink products with pigments. Hygienic cleaning of the teeth should be soft-bristled toothbrush, as hard bristles can cause discomfort. Whitening toothpaste will help maintain the achieved effect.
The procedure to whiten teeth is repeated after 2-4 months.
Who and when not to whiten teeth?
Before you start the teeth whitening at home or at the dentist, it is necessary to determine the cause of the change in their hue. Darkening or yellowing of teeth can be external and internal, and the correction of the popular methods amenable only to external staining. Internal causes of tooth discoloration can be very diverse, ranging from hypoplasia of the enamel, through which the translucent darker dentin tissue, to chronic accumulation of brass, tin, iron and other substances.
In addition, there are a number of contraindications for teeth whitening:
- Pregnant women, people with systemic diseases cannot be carried out and bleaching in dental offices. Alternatively, you can use some gentle on tooth enamel tools home bleaching, for example, activated carbon;
- Periodontal diseases are a contraindication to bleaching, as bleaching components can aggravate the condition of the tissues, cause bleeding gums and other abnormalities;
- Patients with large carious cavities and undertreated diseases of the teeth and gums whitening are contraindicated;
- People who have a lot of fillings in visible areas, it is not recommended to whiten your teeth, the aesthetic value of the result in this case is minimal – the seals are either not amenable to bleaching or clarified too much. After the whitening procedure will have to replace them that is difficult, if seals many;
- Teeth whitening is contraindicated to children under 16 because of hard tooth tissues have formed not until the end, and bleaching substance can penetrate through them to the nerves and damage them;
- People who wear braces or have taken them recently, you should not whiten your teeth. The braces themselves hurt tooth enamel, especially sections of the teeth, which are attached to locks. After removal of the teeth for another few weeks, do not lose the sensitivity needed to endure this period to full recovery.
How to whiten teeth with activated charcoal?
Activated charcoal – a safe solution for whitening teeth at home, minimizing mechanical damage to the enamel. In addition, in case of accidental ingestion, activated charcoal does not harm the body, what can be said about other whitening products.
Bleaching properties of activated carbon known since ancient times – one of “grandma’s” recipes for white smile includes teeth cleaning wood ashes. Wood ash is used as tooth powder or just chew, trying to do it in a way that touched upon all the surface of the tooth. This technique has a scientific basis – wood ash contains potassium hydroxide, a powerful abrasive substance, which removes plaque from the chewing surface and prevents the formation of stains on teeth.
Activated carbon can be produced based on wood ash, fruit stones, coconut shells. Activated charcoal tablets can be crushed into a powder, fine particles which do not hurt your teeth. Brush your teeth with activated charcoal need as well as tooth powder, but not much pressure on the brush to avoid scratching the enamel.
Fastest way to whiten teeth without making powder is to chew two or three tablets immediately, then rinse your mouth with warm water several times. Despite all the useful bleaching properties of the coal immediately after the procedure, a smile can “turn black” from stuck in the interdental spaces of the powder particles. Wash them thoroughly, and then you can brush your teeth, usual toothpaste.
The positive effect of this procedure is not only the abrasive effects of activated charcoal, which removes soft plaque, but also in its absorbent action. Charcoal absorbs toxins, and acid-forming substances that can damage tooth enamel and cause the appearance of stains on its surface. However, too often use charcoal powder for cleaning teeth it is impossible to avoid damage to the enamel and tooth hypersensitivity.
Teeth whitening with lemon
Treatment to the teeth with the use of lemon relate to chemical methods of bleaching enamel. They are less traumatic than abrasive whitening with baking soda or activated charcoal, as the degree of impact can be controlled simply by reducing or increasing the concentration of lemon juice in the solution. While brushing your teeth with baking soda there is a risk of scratch the enamel even when the minimum pressing toothbrush.
- Peel of fresh lemon, carefully wipe the front surface of the teeth for 3-5 minutes. Ensure that in the interdental spaces not left any particles of rind or any other food. The proven fact that the greatest risk for caries, damage, and darkening of the tooth enamel do not represent a one-time exposure to acid or colouring substances, and the constant presence of food residue. This creates a breeding ground for pathogenic microorganisms that cause most of the pathologies of the teeth and oral cavity;
- Gentle treatment, which is suitable even for people with sensitive teeth. To the toothpaste before brushing your teeth add 1-2 drops of lemon juice and conduct hygiene as usual. Practice no more than twice a week for one month;
- The pulp of the lemon is used for lightening the teeth, the enamel of which is insensitive to acids. A fresh slice of lemon applied to the teeth for a couple minutes until there is no discomfort, then clean and rinse your mouth with warm water;
- A solution of lemon juice in a glass of water can be used for rinsing the mouth, applying a rate of not more than a month. The component ratio of the solution 1:1, it is possible to decrease the amount of lemon juice with a painful reaction teeth.
Home bleaching of enamel with baking soda
Baking soda can be used for home teeth whitening as an abrasive that helps to remove soft plaque from the enamel surface. This soda is diluted with water to a homogeneous slurry, is applied to the brush and brush their teeth. Or leave treatment composition on the teeth for a few minutes, then wash off with warm water.
Well lightens the tone of the teeth with a combination of peroxide and baking soda, blending until smooth and use instead of toothpaste. Use recipes based on baking soda for cleaning and whitening teeth is not more often than once every two weeks to prevent the thinning of the enamel. In parallel, it is recommended to use fluoride toothpaste to restore the mineral composition of the tooth enamel.
Use baking soda for tooth whitening should follow the safety measures. First, ensure that the soda does not impinge on the gums, so as the friction it can damage the tissue and cause bleeding. Secondly, remember that when thinning enamel this procedure may be dangerous for the teeth, cause teeth sensitivity, and even promote occurrence of caries.
How to whiten teeth with hydrogen peroxide?
Hydrogen peroxide is a popular remedy for whitening teeth, and used it not only at home, but in the bleaching gels used by dentists for professional enamel brightening a few shades. Naturally, the concentration of all these different funds. For the drastic lightening dentists use 30% hydrogen peroxide. In this case, after each such procedure, the dentist needs to carry out the remineralization of teeth therapeutic composition to prevent leaching gidroksiapatit enamel. At home enough 3% peroxide solution.
Recipes use a lot. The simplest of them – soaked cotton swab is applied to the surface with stains and allowed to stand for several minutes, after which the mouth must be rinsed with warm water. Rules for home use peroxides are the same as for professional whitening – avoid contact with the gums and other soft tissues, ingestion of the solution. In high concentrations it can be dangerous for the body.
Prolonged use of hydrogen peroxide may also improve the sensitivity of the teeth until the painful response not only to heat and cold, but sweet and acidic foods. To use it more often than once a week is not recommended, after a month of treatment should take a break for two to three months.
How to whiten teeth using peroxide and baking soda at home?
Any funds on the basis of hydrogen peroxide cannot be applied without a prior test for an allergic reaction. To do this, put some hydrogen peroxide on the bend of the elbow and or the delicate skin in the wrist area and wait a few hours. Additionally, you can run a test on the teeth and oral cavity using a very dilute solution of peroxide.
Only then you can begin whitening with the help of these recipes. At the slightest burning sensation and pain part must be washed several times to rinse your mouth with warm water. You can’t use peroxide for ulcers in the mouth, often in heavy smokers, the injury of the tongue during the piercing and other injuries and wounds of the oral cavity. Untreated dental caries and diseases of periodontal tissues are also contraindications to the use of home bleaches.
The most effectively works in the following way: hydrogen peroxide 3% concentration is mixed with soda in equal proportions and the resulting slurry with a cotton swab spread over the surface of tooth enamel in areas that need bleach. Stand the mixture should be not more than a minute, then rinse and rinse. If the composition begins to foam on the teeth, you should not worry is a normal part of the procedure. Swallow the solution even in very small amounts is prohibited. Eat and drink can be no earlier than 30 minutes after the procedure.
Immediately after whitening you need to brush your teeth with fluoride to prevent the loss of minerals.
Toothpaste home teeth whitening
Whitening toothpastes often made on the basis of hydrogen peroxide, organic acids and components, mitigating their negative impact on the enamel. There is another group of tools whose effectiveness is based on the abrasive effect of dicalcium phosphate and silica.
In the first case, the enamel is lightened due to the chemical acids and oxygen radicals, which discolor pigments. The result plaque is dissolved, and the substances which gave the enamel is yellow to brown, becoming colorless, the smile becomes the desired white.
Abrasive toothpastes contribute to the mechanical removal of plaque, which in most cases also leads to the expected results. However, the use of this group of funds is a high possibility of hyperesthesia – hypersensitivity of the teeth.
The most secure option considered, the paste-based enzyme papain, which gently removes plaque and prevents the formation of new deposits, not thinning the enamel. But these pastes do not give an immediate clarification, as funds with more aggressive chemical components in the composition.
Brightening and strengthening the teeth rinses
Whitening mouthwash for the oral cavity belong to soft tools that do not damage tooth enamel, and contribute to the restoration of its mineral composition.
They may contain aggressive chemical components – for example, active oxygen, which removes plaque and brightens teeth and prevents Tartar formation. For patients with sensitive teeth and thinning tooth enamel there are rinses based on plant extracts of cinnamon, tea tree, clove, mint. They not only prevent darkening of the surface of the teeth, but has antibacterial properties that prevent cavities and gum disease.
To withstand the mouthwash in your mouth you need one to three minutes, the volume for single use is two tablespoons. It is recommended for daily use throughout the month.
The use of at home bleaching gels
Take home whitening gels are applied with a special Burr to increase the area of contact of active components with the enamel and increased the degree of whitening. The tray is made from flexible plastic or silicone, put them on the upper or lower jaw, depending on which teeth need whitening.
The gel comes with the Capa, or it is applied on the mouthpiece alone. Tools from different manufacturers differ in composition. Gels for intense lightening of the tooth enamel contain hydrogen peroxide, mouth guard with such a composition can be worn no longer than an hour, the procedure was repeated twice a day for a two-week course of treatment.
Gels sparing effect contain urea, or carbamide peroxide in small concentrations, they can be worn without taking off for a few hours. So for overnight bleaching at home is better to use these gels. Moreover, wearing a mouth guard at work or in public places can cause discomfort.
Ready aligners can be purchased at the pharmacy. However, they may not be sufficiently effective, because the structure of the jaw and tooth sensitivity all people are different. To enhance the bleaching action, you can go to the dentist, which will make an individual tray and will help you to choose the optimal concentration of active components in the composition of whitening gel.
It is a modern facility will allow you to achieve cosmetic effect. Special strips are coated bleaching composition can be bought in pharmacies or in online store. Consumers having sensitive teeth can purchase a more gentle option for teeth whitening.
Using strips is very simple – every day we need to apply them on the teeth and leave it there not less than half an hour. A month later, the enamel are lightened about 2-3 shades. The effect of white smile will last a couple of months, then the tooth enamel will darken again. Side effects of treatment – a temporary increase in tooth sensitivity.
Whitening strips – this means high-class, they are in a different price category and more comfortable to use compared to the gels and Burr. The strips firmly stay on your teeth, allowing you to talk during the procedure.
The lack of any whitening strips – tooth spaces, to lighten in this way will not work.
This portable kind of whitening gel is applied with special applicator. After some instruction time, the composition is removed from the enamel. Consumers are offered a model of a pencil, the active ingredient which removes saliva, and does not require special manipulation.
The concentration of bleaching agent is negligible compared with the gel that comes with a Burr. Therefore, the pencil used to maintain white teeth in Spartan conditions, removal of stains from tea, coffee, tobacco plaque.
Teeth whitening tea tree oil
Quality whitening can be carried out only with natural essential oil 100% of concentration. First, conduct a normal cleaning teeth with toothbrush and toothpaste. Then the brush is applied 2-3 drops of essential oil, distribute it over the surface of the tooth enamel. Numbness of the cheek or of the tongue – side effect of the procedure, after which the mouth thoroughly rinsed.
Cleaning enamel with tea tree oil will be removed with it not only the plaque but also Tartar.
Prevention of yellowing of the tooth enamel
To prevent the yellowing of the tooth enamel, it is necessary to adhere to the rules of oral hygiene and avoid eating foods with coloring compounds.
In addition to the brightly colored sweet drinks, candy and chocolate candy products, causing damage to the enamel include:
- Fresh and canned fruit juice – pomegranate, orange and others. In addition to the coloring compounds (phenols) that are contained in fruits and berries red, they possess acid-forming properties, which enhances the process of staining the enamel;
- Wine, and potentially dangerous not only red, but white wine. In red contain phenols and tannin, white promotes acid production contains tannins, giving teeth a yellow tinge;
- Tea, coffee – regular use provoke yellowing of teeth enamel not less than cigarettes. This is especially true of fans of strong brewed black tea and coffee lovers who drink 3-4 cups of the drink per day;
- Condiments, sauces and spices – curry, balsamic vinegar, ketchup can cause yellowing of the teeth if consumed in large quantities every day;
- Fruits and vegetables of bright colors – blueberries, blackberries, beets, raspberries, cherries. With all the benefits of these products cannot be denied their dyeing properties. This does not mean that you need to completely erase them from the diet, you just need to follow some precautions.
Contrary to popular belief, that neutralize the damage products causing staining of the enamel is possible, if you immediately brush your teeth after eating them, it is not. The fact that the enamel under the influence of acids immediately after a meal becomes vulnerable. If you brush your teeth immediately after eating sweets or brightly-colored fruits, can mechanically damage the enamel that only increases its sensitivity and contributes to the formation of spots.
Better to gain a mouthful of clean water and hold her there for a few minutes. It is also useful to hold in your mouth with saliva before you swallow it. Saliva contains natural ingredients that protect the enamel from damage. These properties of saliva are used to promote chewing gum – the chewing process contributes to excessive salivation. But chewing gum is not the best option for daily use, as they may contain harmful ingredients, aspartame and other sweeteners.
There are also products that contribute to the formation of a protective film, which makes the enamel for some time resistant to staining and acid-forming substances. Such products (e.g. broccoli, steamed), it is recommended to include in the diet often eating them before you eat potentially dangerous foods for teeth.
Smoking is one of the common causes of yellowing teeth patients dental clinics regularly bleach the teeth from the so-called “smoker’s plaque”. As a result of continuous influence of cigarette smoke on the teeth appear yellow-brown spots. To limit this habit or even to abandon her in order to avoid yellowing of the enamel.
Directly after bleaching is recommended to avoid the consumption of staining foods and drinks, Smoking. This applies particularly to procedures of whitening laser or acids at the dentist – this time, the tooth enamel is particularly vulnerable to pigments.
In order to prevent yellowing of the teeth after bleaching and to maintain its effect for a long time it is recommended to drink beverages which can cause pigmentation, through a tube. This applies to red and other brightly coloured fruit juices, soda, cocktails, tea and coffee – they also drink through a straw chilled.
How much time is saved the result of bleaching?
After a course of teeth whitening at home the result can last from several months to a year, of course, subject to some modification in the usual diet. Then the enamel gradually loses its whiteness and becomes yellow or brown, and the course must be repeated.
Professional teeth whitening stores teeth white from six months to three years, if you observe all precautions in the first days after the procedure. But teeth whitening in the dental office with the help of technology the abrasive effects of the AirFlow or acidic chemical compounds has more contraindications. Another drawback of these procedures is teeth can become hypersensitive for a few weeks, which is hot, sour and sweet food, tea and even breathing in cold weather becomes unbearable due to pain.