Phosphorus is a trace element essential for human life. Without him there is no one biochemical reaction in the body. The primary role of phosphorus in the human body can be called to ensure proper growth of bone and dental tissue, as well as maintaining their integrity throughout a person’s life.
If we consider the location of the phosphorus in the body, 80% of the total amount of this element is the mineral part of teeth and bones, and the remaining interest is distributed in the muscles, fluids and organs.
The role of phosphorus in the body
Phosphoric acid is the active participant of process of building the phosphatase enzymes, which are “responsible” for normal chemical reactions in cells. This is the acid is actively involved in fat metabolism, the production and breakdown of starch and glycogen, is a component of skeletal tissue, and especially a large number are located in the tissues of the nerve cells and brain.
Scientists say that without phosphorus is impossible thinking process, people will not even be able to move as muscle contraction occurs due to various phosphate compounds. Fermentation and respiration (processes that are essential to all living things) can also not occur without the presence of phosphoric acid.
In addition, phosphorus is involved in the following processes:
- Normalizes protein and carbohydrate metabolism. Moreover, the trace element takes an active part not only in the ‘global’ metabolic processes, but also those that occur directly inside the cells and muscles.
- The exchange of energy. Phosphorus compounds (phosphocreatine and adenosine triphosphate) provide the flow necessary for normal functioning of the body processes. If stocks of these phosphorus compounds are present in an insufficient amount, we may face a tragedy – the muscles will simply cease to decline, and nerve/motor or mental activity will become impossible.
- Forms highly active connections. For example, proteins and fatty acids – lecithin, which is necessary for the formation of a cell and meninges. It is well known that lecithin in huge quantities consumed by the body when excessive stress, and both physical and emotional. If phosphorus in the body is not enough, the cells of the brain and all other organs would be unprotected, leading to their death.
- Included in nucleic acids. These compounds store and transmit hereditary information, are responsible for normal growth and division of cells.
- Supports acid-alkaline balance. This is due to the fact that various phosphorus compounds included in the composition of blood and other fluids. By the way, thanks phosphorus can form the active forms of vitamins – the trace element “triggers” the necessary processes.
The lack of phosphorus in the body – what happens
Even if a person consumes enough food, which has the phosphorus, it might be a lack of this trace element. And in this case, the person will feel weakness, to present complaints of General malaise. He can have sudden bursts of intellectual activity, but it always comes nervous exhaustion. People who have a lack of phosphorus in the body, can actively react to the surrounding world, to communicate and to visit crowded places, and then suddenly fall into apathy and depression.
The insufficiency of phosphorus in the body can be associated with:
- an excess in the body, compounds of magnesium, calcium, aluminum;
- by drinking large quantities of carbonated beverages;
- long-term current diseases, including chronic form;
- drug, alcohol, food poisoning;
- pathology of the kidney and thyroid chronic nature.
Please note: often reveals a lack of phosphorus in young children who are on artificial feeding. This development is fraught for the baby from rickets.
In General, the lack of phosphorus in the human body will definitely show itself, for example, would run into serious problems with metabolism, disorders of the liver. Sure to be a decreased immunity (frequent infections and colds), pain in the muscles of a continuing nature, the appetite deteriorates, until the complete loss of, concentration will decrease. A phosphorus deficiency can lead to pathological changes in the heart, osteoporosis and hemorrhages of different origin.
Excess phosphorus in the body
Too much phosphorus in the human body is not good. This condition leads to:
Important! If there is phosphorus poisoning, that is, in the body entered simultaneously too much of this trace element, then there is a disruption of the entire digestive system, heart, liver and kidneys, there are many small hemorrhages, on the retina of the eye.
In no case may the excess phosphorus? Well, first, prolonged contact with various phosphorus compounds – it may be related to employment. Secondly, to an excess of phosphorus leads to the abuse of canned goods, lemonade, protein products. Thirdly, the considered problem may occur when metabolic disorders, if they are not treated and have not been adjusted.
Phosphorus in the products
The daily requirement for phosphorus is 1,200 mg and a deficiency of this trace mineral is hard enough to prevent – would have to be a strict vegetarian and eat fruits/berries/vegetables/fruits that grow on soils poor in these micronutrients. If a person is fully powered, the daily dose of the phosphorus enters the body from many products:
- pumpkin, cabbage, parsley;
- nuts, legumes, cereals;
- whole grains, brown bread;
- spinach, garlic, carrot;
- milk, cheese;
- fish, meat, beef liver;
- berries and mushrooms;
How to ensure proper absorption of phosphorus
If there is an excess of aluminium, magnesium and iron, phosphorus in the body will be completely ineffective, even if his number is within normal limits. At the same time the excess of phosphorous leads to calcium loss and poor absorption of magnesium, resulting in arrhythmia, migraines, low back pain. How to handle the process of assimilation of all the important elements in the body not at the expense of each other?
Doctors recommend, in the first place, to adjust their own diet. For example, in the age of 40 years on the human priority should be vegetables and greens, dairy products, not meat. This correction will facilitate the work of the kidneys, and they will be in active mode excrete excess phosphorus. Not be amiss to consider a few things:
- Canned food, added phosphates, can lead to excess phosphorus in the body, so to get involved in such a power is not necessary.
- Phosphorus works in the right mode in the presence of calcium and vitamin D, but calcium should be twice that of the phosphorus – dairy products should be on the menu almost constantly, as they are the main providers of calcium in the body.
- Demand for phosphorus increases significantly during exercise and lack of protein, excessive sugar consumption, chronic administration of certain hormones.
- Will help the absorption of phosphorus, vitamins a, D, F, and potassium, iron, magnesium and calcium in balanced amounts. Therefore, it is important to periodically take a course of taking multivitamin complexes, but only with the permission of the doctor.
- The deficiency of phosphorus in the body best food, but in severe cases may need drug therapy – will be appointed riboxinum, phosphocholine, phytin and other drugs.
Phosphorus in the body plays a crucial role, however, as other trace elements. A lack or excess of it can lead to irreversible pathological processes, it is important to ensure the flow of phosphorus in the body in normal amounts. This will help the specialist, but an independent increase in the amount of consumed foods rich in phosphorus or a reception of some vitamin complexes will lead to extremely undesirable consequences.
Yana Aleksandrovna Tsygankova, medical columnist, the therapist of the highest qualification category