The drugs in question belong to the same pharmacological group. They are endowed with common properties – they dilute blood, normalize blood circulation, and prevent blood clots. They also have similar indications for use, therefore they are analogues of each other, which allows, if necessary, to replace one tool with another. Both are produced in Germany.
For the prevention and treatment of blood clots, there are various medications that help improve blood circulation. Pradaxa and Xarelto are very popular among them.
Characterization of the drug Pradax
It is a modern drug that prevents thrombosis. It is widely used in surgery, orthopedics, cardiology for therapeutic and prophylactic purposes.
Penetrating into the body, it is rapidly absorbed, inhibiting the activity of free thrombin, which is responsible for the coagulation system, and also prevents platelet unification.
The following main indications for use are distinguished:
- Prevention of blockage of blood vessels in patients after orthopedic surgery.
- Prevention of stroke, reduction of cardiovascular mortality in people with irregular heart function.
- Therapy of acute deep vein thrombosis, clotting of blood vessels by a thrombus, as well as the prevention of fatal outcome associated with these pathologies.
- Prevention of recurrence of thrombosis.
Representatives of this group of drugs have many contraindications. It is forbidden to take in the presence of the following factors:
- Severe renal failure.
- Active bleeding, as well as organ damage that has arisen for this reason.
- Increased predisposition of the body to hemorrhages.
- Protein clotting disorder.
- The risk of bleeding due to an ulcer of the gastrointestinal mucosa.
- The presence of malignant tumors.
- Recent injuries to the spinal cord or brain.
- Recent ophthalmic surgery.
- The presence or suspicion of varicose veins of the esophagus.
- Congenital defects of arteries and veins.
- Pathological expansion of the lumen of the artery of the brain.
- Impaired liver function, affecting survival.
- Prosthetics of the heart valve.
- Persons under the age of eighteen.
- Hypersensitivity to the components.
During reception, adverse reactions may occur:
- Decrease in hemoglobin concentration.
- Decreased platelet count.
- Allergic manifestations in the form of skin rash, itching, bronchospasm.
- Bleeding from the nose.
- Nausea, abdominal pain, diarrhea, difficulty digestion.
Characteristics of the drug Xarelto
It is a direct-acting drug that inhibits the activity of the blood coagulation system and prevents the formation of blood clots. It is rapidly absorbed into the blood, the maximum concentration occurs after about 3 hours.
The main indications for use are:
- Prevention of stroke and cardiovascular disorders in patients undergoing orthopedic surgery.
- Prevention of acute blockage of blood vessels in patients with arrhythmia.
- Treatment of deep vein thrombosis and blockage of the pulmonary arteries, as well as the prevention of their relapses.
Contraindications for use are:
- Pregnancy, the period of breastfeeding.
- High sensitivity to the constituent substances.
- Intracranial or gastrointestinal bleeding.
- Stomach ulcer.
- Malignant tumor.
- Recent brain injuries to the brain or spinal cord.
- A formation on the brain vessel filled with blood.
- Simultaneous reception of such medicines.
- Liver pathologies with a high risk of bleeding.
- Kidney disease.
- Children under eighteen.
- Lactose intolerance.
Given the mechanism of the drug, when taking, there may be a risk of bleeding, which can lead to a decrease in hemoglobin. Nausea, stool disturbance, abdominal pain, chills, weakness, dizziness, skin rashes are also often observed.
Comparison, differences, what and for whom it is better to choose
Despite some similarities, there are still differences between these medicines.
The main ones include:
- Type of active component . The first agent includes the substance dabigatran, the second – rivaroxaban.
- Mechanism of action . In the first case, the action of the coagulation component of the blood is neutralized, in the second, the prothrombinase complex.
- Release form . Pradaxa is available on the market in capsule form, Xarelto in tablet form.
- Price category . The cost of the first drug for a package of 30 capsules will cost 1800 rubles, the price of the second is much more expensive – about 3000 rubles for the same amount. Therefore, in this case, Pradaxa has the advantage.
Both drugs are highly effective, so it is difficult to say which one is better to choose from. Some experts note that Xarelto causes fewer side effects and is better tolerated by the organs of the gastrointestinal tract. It is also more convenient to use, as evidenced by the reviews of patients who underwent treatment. Based on this, we can conclude that if there is no intolerance to milk sugar, then it is better to give preference in favor of Xarelto, despite the higher cost.
But do not forget that such serious medications should be prescribed only by a doctor. He will conduct the necessary examinations, make an accurate diagnosis and select an individual treatment regimen for each patient. It is categorically impossible to independently acquire these drugs, otherwise the risk of causing irreparable harm to your health is possible.