Both remedies relate to combined oral contraceptives. COC is a type of hormonal contraceptive that carries two types of hormones – estrogen and progestin.
COCs are divided into single-phase, two-phase, three-phase and four-phase. In monophasic tablets, the dose of estrogen and progestin is constant. Accordingly, the two-phase version already contains two variants of the ratio of the proportions of hormones in the tablet. Multiphase variants have the same advantages and disadvantages as monophasic ones.
Both Jess and Silhouette are monophasic drugs.
- The effectiveness of protection. KOC has a Pearl index, otherwise the failure rate is 0.3-0.9%. This number shows how effective this or that protection method is. And the lower the index, the better the chosen method. For example, for a condom, the Pearl Index is 2-4.8%, which means that at least so many out of a hundred women are at risk of becoming pregnant using only the barrier method of contraception.
- STDs. Taking pills does not protect against sexually transmitted diseases. In order to reduce the risk of infection, barrier contraception must be used.
- Depression, anxiety, panic attacks. Both drugs contain progestin, which, according to a study by Katherine Barnet-Watson, exacerbates depressive states. Moreover, according to a study by journalist Vicki Spratt, the use of antidepressants or beta-blockers does not always improve the well-being of patients.
- Decreased sexual desire. Both drugs can significantly reduce libido.
- Acne. One of the beneficial effects of COCs is cosmetic. For skin problems, progestogens with an antiandrogenic effect should be used. Such substances reduce the amount of male steroid hormones secreted by the ovaries, in particular testosterone. They also inhibit the transition of hormones into the active phase. Since androgens regulate the work of sweat and sebaceous glands, a decrease in their level in the blood eliminates the rash.
One of the most convenient and effective protection options is hormonal. This method requires some discipline, but in return the woman gets full control over her body, gets rid of the constant fear of an unplanned pregnancy and its consequences.
In Russia, only 10% of women aged 15 to 44 prefer hormonal contraception. While in the USA this indicator is much higher and among women of childbearing age reaches 45%.
The contraceptive is available in the form of film-coated tablets. In one blister, there are 28 tablets, of which 24 are with active ingredients, and 4 are placebo.
Active ingredients: ethinyl estradiol (in the form of betadex clathrate) 0.02 mg, drospirenone 3.00 mg.
Each tablet also consists of:
- Excipients : corn starch, povidone, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate.
- Shells : talc, hypromellose, titanium dioxide. In addition, active tablets contain iron oxide red dye.
Excipients are not harmful. They perform several functions: preserve the integrity of the tablet, improve the taste, have a pleasant smell. Some additives are responsible for the easy patency of the pill, as well as timely absorption in the gastrointestinal tract.
It is made by Bayer, Germany.
The product is available in the form of film-coated tablets. One pack contains 21 tablets. The drug is taken 21 days, then 7 days pass. There should be menstruation this week. If everything is fine, start a new pack.
Active ingredients: dienogest 2 mg, ethinyl estradiol 0.03 mg.
Excipients: lactose, talc, corn starch, hypromellose, potassium polacryline, magnesium stearate.
Shell: talc, polyvinyl alcohol, titanium dioxide, macrogol.
The drug is manufactured in Hungary by the company Gideon Richter.
What is the difference between drugs
Jess refers to microdosed drugs, and Silhouette to low-dose.
Microdosage drugs are usually given to those who have never used COCs. Also a plus of this group of funds is that they are easier to carry.
Low-dose drugs are usually prescribed when microdosed do not fit.
- Diabetes. Smoking women or patients with diabetes should take COCs with a high estrogen content. Jess’s active tablets contain 0.02 mg of ethinyl estradiol, which is the highest estrogen content possible among oral contraceptives.
- Breast engorgement. With an atypical increase in breast size, increased soreness or sensitivity, it is worth changing the current tablets to Jess. It is especially worthwhile to pay attention when the chest hurts at the beginning or in the middle of the cycle, or when light sensitivity and swelling do not go away after menstruation. Such a single-phase drug with a high estrogen content can not only significantly alleviate, but also eliminate unpleasant sensations.
- Pain in the calves. With constant pain in the legs, not associated with physical exertion or injury, it is worth switching to any tablets with an estrogen content of about 0.02 mg. For example, on Jess with ethinyl estradiol.
- Endometriosis Hormone therapy, as an independent method, is often used at the preparatory or postoperative stage of treatment of the disease. Treatment is carried out using monophasic COCs, progestins, Danazol. The active substance of the Silhouette – Dienogest, is not only a progestin, but is also considered a drug with a proven effect for treatment.
Which drug to prefer
It is important to know that tablets of this type cannot be prescribed on their own. To select a drug, you need to contact a gynecologist or gynecologist-endocrinologist. The doctor must collect all information about the patient’s health status in order to:
- Make sure the need and feasibility of using the drug.
- Minimize risks.
- Effectively pick up pills.
It is mandatory to collect information about diseases of the cardiovascular system and liver, diabetes, and other diseases in the patient’s family.
A survey including:
- Blood pressure measurement
- Breast examination
- Gynecological examination,
- Cervical smear
- Blood donation for sugar and coagulation.
Only after all necessary measures can the doctor prescribe the drug.