A man in Colombia left doctors stunned after they found a light bulb stuck up his butt. The patient, 53, who has not been named, went to a local hospital this year complaining of pain in his anus.
Doctors did not see anything during a physical examination, but were shocked when an X-ray revealed a large light bulb wedged inside him.
It was not clear how the light bulb got up there, but in previous cases, people have put items up their butts for sexual pleasure.
It was also unclear how the bulb was removed or whether the individual suffered any long-term damage.
Doctors said he was lucky that the bulb had not shattered.
Revealing the case online, Dr Julian Pylori, a gastroenterologist in Colombia, wrote: ‘Not palpable on rectal examination.
‘Foreign body material, unknown. Endoscopic removal?’
A 53-year-old man in Colombia had to go to hospital after a light bulb, pictured, became wedged up his backside. Doctors may have removed it using suction cups
It quickly prompted a number of responses online including from UK-based gastroenterologist Dr Keith Siau, who wrote: ‘Sorry, I’m out of bright ideas.’
Another medic, Pakistan-based gastroenterologist Dr Ikram Tirmizi, said: ‘Seems like a bulb.
‘Suction can be applied like that carried out by obstetricians during normal vaginal delivery.’
Other viewers were also quick to respond including one who said ‘he literally had a bright f****** idea lol’ and a second who complimented the patient on his ‘impressive skill and recklessness’.
Dr Alice Murray, a colorectal surgeon at Harvard Medical School, previously told Metro that a ‘whole range’ of items get stuck up people’s backsides.
‘[We’ve seen] wine bottles, deodorant cans, a shower curtain rail, keys, a toy plastic snake, a gerbil — and, of course, sex toys,’ she said.
Asked how they are removed, she added: ‘When patients come in, sometimes it’s simple to manage… requiring a bit of perseverance in [ER] with lots of lubricant and some basic instruments to grab hold of the thing and gently pull it out.
‘We are very careful not to damage the very important anal sphincters.
‘If it is really tricky, we may have to do this in a safer environment in theatre with the patient sedated or anesthetized and with full relaxation of the sphincters.’
In worst-case scenarios, where an object is too far up to be removed, then there might be a major operation to get the object out.
Doctors have previously warned that when objects become stuck in the rectum, they can lead to the formation of a vacuum.
This can mean that when someone pulls on an object to try to remove it, the vacuum causes it to travel up further inside them.