Color blindness in children develops for genetic reasons, when the mother passes the disease gene to her child. The disease appears mainly in the male sex, and girls become carriers of it.
It is possible to check a child for color blindness when he is already able to tell about his vision of the world, this is from about 3 years old. He confuses toys, does not lay out cubes, a pyramid in colors. When asked to draw the sea, grass, the sun chooses the wrong pencils.
Color receptors (cones) located in the center of the retina and responsible for the three primary colors – blue, red, green, are absent or underdeveloped.
Types of disease
In addition to hereditary color blindness, excrete acquired due to traumatic damage to the visual structures or anomalies of their development.
By type, they share:
- achromatic – when a person perceives all colors as shades of gray;
- monochromatic – a vision of the world in one color;
- dichromatic – the patient distinguishes between two primary colors, not three.
Color blindness are divided into:
- Protanopov – the child does not see red. Responsible pigment erythrolab, absorbing rays of 560 nm.
- Deuterotope – falling out of the spectrum of green. For its perception, cones responsible for radiation of a wavelength of 530 nm are responsible. Chlorolab pigment is absent in cones. Green is seen as gray, and the patient may not even suspect his defect.
- Tritanotopes are children with a rare pathology of blue non-perception. Boys and girls are divided equally. The blue pigment cyanolabs sensitive to the light wavelength of 420 nm suffer. Blue color looks gray.
How can I determine the child’s color blindness
Diagnosis of color blindness by a doctor can be done at home. For example, with such a test: take two of his favorite fruits or sweets and wrap one in bright-colored paper and the other in a dark unattractive wrapper. If the baby reaches for a bright wrapper, then it’s too early to sound the alarm.
If you are indifferent to color, you should reduce it to an ophthalmologist. In order to determine color blindness in a child from 3 years, Rabkin tables are used. They look like pictures consisting of colored circles of equal brightness that make up a particular pattern. Children with color perception problems cannot distinguish some of them.
In addition to these tables, there are similar methods of Ishihar, Yustova, and Stilling. Among modern technologies, spectral diagnostic methods have appeared.
It is now possible to check a child for color blindness in ophthalmological centers with spectroanomaloscopes. They determine the retinal color sensitivity threshold and response to medications.
Color Blindness Treatment
Color blindness therapy is effective when the disease is acquired. The causes that caused impaired color perception are eliminated, and vision is restored. Genetic abnormalities are currently not completely cured, but their correction with the help of darkened glasses or specialized contact lenses is possible.
The baby with the problem of color perception requires special attention. It should be taught to understand the unperceptible colors, on which the further life of the son or daughter will depend. In childhood, memorization is well achieved through associative connections. Since such a little man does not understand where of the three circles of the traffic light is red, explain that he should look at the upper circle.
Can color blindness be cured:
Color blindness should not be a sentence. It is important to convey to the child that he sees the world in a special way. If you suspect a disorder, take him to an ophthalmologist, because secondary color blindness is treatable.