25.10.2020

Could this procedure get Mick Jagger rocking again?

But that was the case recently when he was sidelined and in need of cardiac care. He reportedly received a transcatheter aortic valve replacement – TAVR.

At this point, it’s hard to picture anything keeping Rolling Stones front man Mick Jagger down.

What is this procedure that helped this rock legend?

“TAVR is a ground-breaking, life-saving procedure for older people in need of cardiac care,” says Dr. Tanvir Bajwa, interventional cardiologist at Aurora St. Luke’s Medical Center in Milwaukee, home to Wisconsin’s largest TAVR procedure program and the 10th largest in the country.

The minimally invasive surgical procedure treats aortic stenosis, which happens when the heart valve is too narrow or stiff due to calcium buildup. This condition can make it hard to breathe and can be life-threatening.

TAVR currently is FDA-approved for use among patients who cannot have open-heart surgery or patients for whom open-heart surgery is considered intermediate or high risk, such as elderly and frail patients or those with conditions such as severe kidney or lung disease.

Want to know more about the risk that heart disease? 

You might love them, but they pose a real danger

It’s a risk most parents don’t even think about until it’s too late. A recent study has found that up to 9,500 children are burned each year from a quick bowl of instant soup or noodles in the microwave.

“We see it often in our emergency department,” says Dr. Charles Nozicka, a pediatric emergency medicine at Advocate Children’s Hospital. “It is usually school-aged children attempting to use the microwave themselves. They can have second-degree burns that are extremely painful.”

The study, which was presented at the American Academy of Pediatrics, reviewed data from the U.S. National Electronic Injury Surveillance System, and found that the average age of the child burned was 7, and 40 percent of the burns occurred on a child’s torso. In some cases, the child may have been microwaving the soups themselves, and in others, just handed the container. The good news is that most of the kids were treated and sent home. The burns were likely to have healed in a few weeks.

“Microwaved foods and drinks commonly cause hot water burns,” says Dr. Nozicka. “Kids who are microwaving need some supervision. It is so easy to overheat liquids and not appreciate how hot the item has become.”

Spread the love

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *