Zinc ointment and paste differ in the concentration of the active substance, zinc oxide, 10% and 25%, respectively. The composition of the ointment includes petroleum jelly, which makes its texture soft. The medicine is applied to the problem area of the skin easily, absorbed quickly, does not dry out. Therefore, use the drug in the absence of open or purulent damage.
The amount of excipients changes the form of the drug. Paste includes, in addition to zinc oxide and petroleum jelly, ordinary starch. As a result, its consistency becomes thicker. Since the bactericidal effect of the dermatoprotector is not enough to suppress the destruction process, the wetting area of the skin is disinfected with an antiseptic.
A dense layer of the drug, superimposed on the problem area, creates a kind of barrier that prevents microbes and pathogenic bacteria from entering from the outside. An increased concentration of zinc oxide helps to dry and regenerate damaged tissues, while not changing healthy ones.
Dermatoprotectors, which include zinc, are drugs. They are used for outdoor use. Some dermatological diseases of the skin are treated with these drugs. With their help, the skin is protected from the negative effects of the sun.
A semi-liquid substance of white color or with a yellow tint, containing 10% zinc oxide, is called zinc ointment. As an auxiliary substance, petroleum jelly is used, on the basis of which an ointment is made. This medicine is sold in a dark glass container, the capacity of which is from 25 to 50 grams. The same weight of the drug in aluminum tubes.
A thick white or yellowish substance, which includes 25% zinc oxide, 25% potato starch and 50% petroleum jelly is a zinc paste. For sale, it is placed in dark glass jars or aluminum tubes weighing from 25 to 40 g. It is sold in pharmacies without a prescription.
General provisions in the use of drugs
The composition of zinc ointment and paste includes zinc oxide. In the treatment of skin diseases, they have: anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, drying effect. General conditions for the use of dermatoprotectors:
- They have no contraindications. The exception is individual intolerance to the components of these funds. They are prescribed not only for adult patients, but even for infants, pregnant women.
- Side effects were not detected. Used externally, locally. In case of accidental ingestion into the body or on the mucous membranes, poisoning can occur. Therefore, when applying, you should adhere to the instructions, do not forget about individual intolerance.
- Overdose and interaction with other drugs are not marked. Dermatoprotectors create a protective barrier on the surface of the skin against the penetration of an external infection. They are not absorbed into the blood.
Drugs are dispensed by pharmacies without a prescription. You need to store them in a cool dark place, but not in the refrigerator. Domestic dermatoprotectors are inexpensive, the quality is better than foreign counterparts. Since they contain a minimum of auxiliary substances that provoke allergic reactions.
Dermatoprotective treatment with zinc
Preparations with zinc oxide are used in the treatment of: dermatitis; eczema diaper rash; pressure sores; acne burns; shallow damage to the skin; sweating, diaper rash, diathesis in babies. In cosmetology, dermatoprotectors against wrinkles and freckles are used as protection against negative atmospheric factors (added to sunscreens).
Dermatoprotectors have found application in the complex treatment of herpes, chickenpox, hemorrhoids and some other diseases. In this case, it should be remembered that these drugs relieve unpleasant symptoms, accelerate the regeneration of damaged tissues, if the pathogen is destroyed.
Zinc ointment is prescribed for the treatment of chronic skin diseases that require the drug to penetrate into its deeper layers. Zinc paste is used in the acute condition of infectious foci on the skin. Due to the presence of starch in the composition of the drug, the affected tissue is adsorbed, absorption slows down. An increased concentration of zinc oxide improves the regeneration of skin cells in the upper layers.
How to treat with zinc oxide preparations
Applying a medicine requires compliance with the following rules:
- The drug is applied to clean, dry skin.
- In acute forms of lesions, additional purification and disinfection of the focus of the pathology with antiseptic agents is performed.
- The layer of medicine in the affected area should be thin;
- Processing is carried out from 3 to 6 times a day.
- To treat burns and pressure sores, you can apply a paste on the inside of the dressing.
Of particular note is the use of dermatoprotectors for the treatment or prevention of diaper dermatitis in newborns. Zinc ointment is applied to the clean, dry skin of the baby in the diaper area.
A new layer of ointment is applied when changing the diaper. The medicine relieves itching and other unpleasant symptoms. If an allergic reaction to the drug is noticed, the child’s skin treatment is stopped.
Dry and wet skin inflammation in children with diathesis are effectively treated with zinc ointment and paste. Allergies, irritations that begin to bother the baby, are also treated with these medicines. They are harmless. The exception is individual intolerance.
Zinc oxide preparations are widely used for the treatment of skin diseases in adults:
- To treat pressure sores, pre-treat the affected skin surface with an antiseptic, dry. Apply a layer of zinc paste. Dressing change no more than 6 times per day.
- Before treating acne and black spots with zinc preparations, the face is washed with tar soap, steamed skin, cleaned with salicylic alcohol or hydrogen peroxide, removing black spots. Zinc paste is applied pointwise or in a thin layer, without rubbing. The procedure is performed before bedtime. You can remove the paste by washing with tar soap or rubbing your face with vegetable oil. After removal, to soften and moisturize the skin, you can use the appropriate cream or foam. About decorative cosmetics, for the period of treatment, you have to forget.
- In the treatment of herpes, the affected area is cleaned with an antiseptic. A preparation with zinc oxide is superimposed directly on the outbreak. The procedure is performed every hour with a cotton swab or a special spatula.
Zinc oxide preparations help to cope with skin diseases by drying, disinfecting, adsorbing and regenerating the affected tissues. What to apply in a specific situation, ointment or paste, depends on the degree of skin damage, the type of disease, age, skin condition of the patient.