COLLECTION OF BREAST MILK
- Wash hands thoroughly.
- Ensure all the equipment is cleansed and sterilised.
- Relax and be comfortable.
- Soften the area around the nipple by massaging.
- Check to ensure nipple pores are open and milk flow present.
- Massage the breast.
- Express the breast till the milk flow slows down, then massage the breast again and ensure the pores are not blocked, express again till the milk-flow reduces to drops.
- Repeat steps four to seven for the other breast.
- Express breast milk every three hours in the day and at least once at night.
- If you are using an electrical pump, start with low pressure and gradually increase the pressure till you are comfortable and with milk flow established.
- Collect expressed breast milk in a sterilised bottle.
- Close the bottle tightly.
- Label bottle with date and time of collection
- Refrigerate the expressed breast milk immediately after pumping.
STORAGE OF EXPRESSED BREAST MILK (EBM)
- Storage containers should be sterilised and have lids that provide an airtight seal.
- Maximum storage time and temperature guide
- Room temperature around 25ºC – four hours
- Refrigerated at 4ºC – 48 hours
- Cooler bag with ice pack at 15ºC – 24 hours
Milk Frozen below 0ºC
- Freezer inside single door refrigerator – two weeks
- A frost-free refrigerator with separate external door for freezer compartment— three months
- Deep freeze at minus 20ºC – six months
THAWING & WARMING OF EBM
- Never thaw milk in a microwave oven or by boiling.
- To thaw milk;
- Keep in the refrigerator overnight or
- Stand the bottle in a mug or warm water
- Thawed milk kept in refrigerator at a temperature of 4ºC should be consumed within 24 hours
- Warm only the amount required for one feed at a time.
- Discard any unconsumed milk.
CLEANING AND STERILISING
- Wash the feeding/ pumping accessories with soap and water.
- Scrub the inside of the accessories to remove traces of milk with a brush.
- Rinse the feeding/ pumping accessories thoroughly.
- Sterilising Methods
- Submerge clean feeding/ pumping accessories in a pot of water, cover with lid and bring to boil
- Once water starts to boil, let it boil for further 10 minutes
- Add rubber accessories and boil for another 5 minutes.
- Pour out the water and keep the pot covered until ready for use
- Using Sterilising Tablet:
Follow the instructions given on the package.
- Steam Steriliser
Follow recommended instructions.
PLEASE TAKE NOTE
- Wash hands with soap and water, and dry hands before removing sterilised items.
- Do not rinse sterilised items with tap water.
Spread the love