Before you stock up on vegetables and fruits in your fridge, you should follow certain pre-storing guidelines. These can vary depending on the food concerned. However, the general guidelines are as follows:
- Never refrigerate your fruits and veggies unwashed.
- Do not store them in a plastic bag, not even the ones they came in.
- The only foods you can store in a plastic bag are herbs and mushroom as the trapped moisture helps prolong their longevity.
- Leafy greens that seem sandy or dirty should be washed before they are stored. Post washing, they should be wrapped neatly in plain white tissues and then kept in a plastic bag. They’ll stay fresh for longer this way.
- For foods that need to be stored at room temperature instead of being refrigerated, one must remove all packaging before storing them (think: onions, potatoes, etc.)