Many people care about the question of which drug is better and more effective.
Indeed, medicines have much in common, they can be used interchangeably in the treatment of certain pathologies (dementia, post-stroke state, etc.).
But for treatment of the child, it is better to prefer Actovegin. It has fewer contraindications and should also be chosen for people with epilepsy or kidney disease.
For various neurological pathologies, both drugs show efficacy.
As for patients with dementia, as well as patients who have had a stroke, here, clearly, the choice is “Cerebrolysin”. It perfectly improves cognitive function and contributes to the speedy recovery of patients after a stroke.
In addition, the Austrian pharmaceutical agent has a more pronounced positive effect on neurons (nerve cells in the brain).
If the patient during the course of treatment cannot refuse to drive a car, it is better to choose “Actovegin”, since the second drug at the beginning of treatment can cause distracted attention.
Of course, only the specialist can consider all the nuances of the disease. And it is he who will decide on the appointment of any of the drugs.
Given that the drugs have good compatibility, with a number of diseases they can be prescribed at the same time. This gives a brighter positive effect.
Again, I would like to recall that only a qualified doctor can combine taking medication. He selects the optimal dosage and duration of treatment.
These pharmaceuticals have a direct effect on human brain cells and their uncontrolled intake can lead to very serious consequences.
The whole body suffers from the nervous overloads and endless stresses that accompany a modern person every day. But the first organs that take on the blow of various negative factors are the nervous system and the brain.
The consequences of such strokes can be very different, starting with the development of mental pathologies and ending with heart attacks or strokes.
To date, experts in the field of pharmacology have developed many drugs (drugs) that can help brain structures and the central nervous system cope with the manifestations of various pathological conditions.
These drugs include Actovegin and Cerebrolysin.
“Actovegin”: description of the drug
“Actovegin” is a drug whose action is aimed at improving metabolic processes and tissue nutrition. In addition, it activates the ability of tissues to repair.
The drug helps the body quickly absorb the necessary nutrients (oxygen, glucose) due to its ability to activate cellular energy processes. Improves blood supply to the brain during ischemia.
The main active ingredient is calf blood hemoderivative (deproteinized).
- Ampoules, with a volume of 2 ml, 5 ml, 10 ml. The active substance content is 40 mg / 1 ml.
- Dragee tablets, 200 mg each.
- Liniment 5%, 20 g per tube.
- Gel 20% by 5 g in a tube.
- Eye gel 20% in tubes of 5 g.
For stationary use, an infusion solution in 250 ml bottles is also available.
Indications and contraindications
“Actovegin” in the form of a solution and tablets is prescribed in the following conditions:
- The consequences of a head injury.
- Ischemic stroke.
- Diabetic polyneuropathy.
- Insufficiency of cerebral blood supply.
- Circulatory disturbance of peripheral vessels (trophic ulcers).
- Extensive burns.
Ointment and gel are used for:
- Varicose weeping ulcers.
- Wounds and inflammations of the mucous membranes and skin (cracks, burns, etc.)
- Radiation damage to the skin.
- Treatment and prevention of pressure sores.
Eye gel is used for keratitis, corneal ulcers (of various origins), thermal, acid, alkaline burns of the cornea.
Contraindications for the appointment are:
- Pulmonary edema.
- Allergy to the active or auxiliary components.
- Heart failure (decompensation stage).
Pregnant women, as well as women breast-feeding a child, are prescribed medication if the benefits of its use exceed the risk of possible serious consequences.
Despite the patients’ feedback on the good tolerance of drugs, in some cases, side effects may occur.
It can be observed: urticaria, nausea, swelling, epigastric pain, dizziness, tachycardia, pressure drops, tremors, hyperhidrosis, hot flashes, lower back pain.
The therapeutic effect of drugs is based on metabolic, microcirculatory and neuroprotective effects.
Its oligosaccharides accelerate the transport and processing of glucose. Due to this, the energy metabolism of cells improves and the formation of lactic acid in conditions of insufficient blood supply is reduced.
The microcirculatory effect is manifested in the ability of drugs to increase the speed of blood flow in the capillaries, to reduce the myogenic tone of small arteries. This helps to improve peripheral circulation.
During treatment with Actovegin, in patients with diabetes, the severity of symptoms of polyneuropathy (numbness of the legs, burning, paresthesia, stitching pains) decreased.
The mental state of patients improved due to an increase in the energy supply of cells and their better assimilation of oxygen.
“Cerebrolysin”: a description of the drug
“Cerebrolysin” is a nootropic drug. His main activity is aimed at protecting brain cells from various damaging factors (intoxication, lack of oxygen, hypoglycemia).
In addition, drugs have an antioxidant effect, which allows to stop the oxidation of free radicals.
The medication helps to improve protein synthesis in brain neurons.
Today, Cerebrolysin is the only notropic drug whose neurotrophic effect is confirmed and proven by clinical trials.
The neurotrophic effect allows the drug not only to slow down the processes of degeneration of brain tissues, but in some cases to stop them.
The main component of the drug is cerebrolysin concentrate (a complex of peptides obtained by hydrolysis of the porcine brain).
The only form of release of the drug is glass ampoules, from 1 ml to 10 ml in volume, containing 215.2 mg of active substance per 1 ml.
Indications and contraindications
It is prescribed for:
- Parkinson’s disease.
- Neuroinfections (encephalitis, etc.).
- Dementia syndrome.
- Ischemic stroke.
- Injuries to the brain (brain, spinal cord).
- Hemorrhagic stroke.
- Senile dementia.
- Violations of cognitive functions (attention, speech, memory) due to mental or neurological pathologies.
- Complications after brain operations.
- Cerebrovascular insufficiency.
- Endogenous depression resistant to antidepressants.
Good results are shown by the medication when used in neuropediatrics and perinatal medicine. He perfectly fights the consequences of intrauterine infections, as well as damage to brain neurons in newborns due to birth injury or hypoxia.
This pharmaceutical product is not prescribed if the patient has:
- Renal failure (acute).
- Allergy to components.
The use of drugs in very rare cases can be accompanied by side effects – increased excitability, a feeling of “flushing” of blood to the face. limb pain, shortness of breath, chills, hyper – or hypotension, apathy, dizziness.
At the stage of pregnancy and during breastfeeding, they are used with extreme caution, carefully analyzing the positive effects of the drug and the possible risk of its use.
The basis of the pharmaceutical product are peptide fractions (proteins with low molecular weight), which are neurotransmitters. They are able to quickly penetrate into neurons from the bloodstream and have a versatile effect on brain cells.
Treatment with these drugs contributes to:
- Improve mnestic functions.
- To increase the resistance of brain structures to the effects of various negative factors.
- Enhanced energy metabolism in neurons due to improved utilization of glucose and oxygen.
- Improving smart features.
- Increased concentration, learning ability
- Enhancing mental activity.
- Reduce fatigue and increase efficiency.
In addition, it was proved that patients suffering from Alzheimer’s disease, accompanied by the development of dementia, after a course of treatment increased their activity in everyday life, as a result of which the need for assistance was reduced.
What are the drugs like?
The similarity of drugs can be traced in a similar principle of action. They affect the metabolism in tissues, accelerate the utilization of glucose, thereby increasing cell energy.
Medicines are not addictive, have a minimum of side effects.
The composition of the medications is of natural origin. Both the one and the other medicine are allowed to be used in childhood.
According to the mechanism of action of drugs, they are also similar. They stimulate the psyche, affect the functioning of the cerebral cortex.
Adaptogenic properties are inherent in both drugs; they protect blood vessels and brain cells from negative factors of the internal and external environment.
Indications for use in some diseases they are also the same.
In the price range, drugs are also not far from each other. Packaging of Actovegin ampoules will cost from 1100 to 1500 rubles, in tablets – 600 – 1400 rubles. Ampoules of “Cerebrolysin” from 930 to 2000 rubles.
What’s the Difference
If we talk about the differences presented by pharmaceuticals, we can note the following:
- The main difference between drugs is the active substances. Despite the fact that substances are natural components, their origin varies. At the heart of Cerebrolysin is a pig brain hydrolyzate, Actovegin is developed on the basis of calf blood-purified hemoderivative.
- Different manufacturing countries. Actovegin is produced by pharmaceutical companies in Slovenia, India, Austria, and Russia. The second pharmaceutical product is manufactured only in Austria.
- The first drug has a wider range of uses and various forms of release. “Cerebrolysin” is produced exclusively in the form of an injection solution.
- Recommended for use by pregnant and lactating women only when necessary.
- With the epileptic status and pathologies of the kidneys, the Austrian medication cannot be used.
It should be noted that “Cerebrolysin”, although it has more side effects, gives serious allergic reactions much less often than the second remedy.