In the chain from I to III generation, for the group of antibiotics under consideration, a tendency towards an increase in the spectrum of action and an increase in the degree of antimicrobial activity towards gram-negative bacteria with a slight decrease in activity towards gram-positive microorganisms is revealed.
Cephalosporins of the 1st generation are characterized by a limited range of influence and a low indicator of activity in relation to gram-negative bacteria. Of maximum clinical significance is their effect on gram-positive cocci, with the exception of MRSA and enterococci.
The main factor for the appointment of cefazolin in modern medical practice will be the implementation of preoperative prophylaxis in surgery. It is also used for infection of the skin and soft tissues.
The appointment of cefazolin in diseases provoked by infections of the urinary system and respiratory system, at present, will need to be classified as insufficiently substantiated, due to its narrow range of action and sufficiently large resistance to potential pathogens.
3rd generation cephalosporins have higher activity than 1st generation drugs against gram-negative bacteria of the Enterobacteriaceae family. According to the effect on staphylococcus, their effectiveness is lower than that of the 1st generation.
Means from the third generation do not affect MRSA and enterococci, have low antianerobic efficacy, and tend to break down under the action of a wide range of β-lactamases.
The drugs in question are cephalosporin antibiotics . These two agents can be prescribed when penicillins are ineffective. Representatives of this group show their bactericidal properties due to the fact that they interfere with the synthesis of the bacterial cell wall. Due to the low toxic effects and strong bactericidal effect, cephalosporins are used in surgery, gynecological practice, pediatrics for various diseases complicated by infection.
Brief Description of Cefazolin
Cefazolin is a semi-synthetic antibiotic of the first generation cephalosporins group . The drug has a wide spectrum of bactericidal activity: it is effective against the predominant number of microorganisms, both gram-negative and gram-positive. Not effective for the treatment of diseases caused by rickettsia, viruses, fungi and protozoa.
It is prescribed for infectious diseases provoked by bacteria sensitive to cefazolin:
- Diseases of the respiratory tract complicated by infection.
- Genitourinary system.
- Infections of the skin and soft tissues.
- Bone tissue.
- Biliary tract infections.
- Prevention of infections during surgical intervention in systems and organs.
Individual intolerance to cephalosporins or other β-lactam antibiotics.
Currently, cefazolin exists only in the form of a powder, from which, by adding a solvent, a solution for injection is prepared. In the form of tablets or other forms for internal use, the drug is not available. There are bottles with 0.25, 0.5 and 1 g of a medicinal substance.
Ceftriaxone antibiotic profile
This is a representative of the III generation of a group of cephalosporins prolonged action. The bactericidal effect is expressed in the suppression of the synthesis of the cell membrane of a pathogenic microorganism. Active against relatively many gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria. Resistant to b-lactamases (both penicillinases and cephalosporinases) of gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria.
Indications for use
It is prescribed for infectious diseases provoked by bacteria sensitive to ceftriaxone:
- Diseases of the infectious nature of the respiratory system.
- Peritoneum (peritonitis, infection of the bile duct, diseases of the stomach and intestines of a bacterial nature)
- Genitourinary system.
- Infections of bone tissue, joints, soft tissues, skin, as well as infected wounds.
- Infections in patients with low immunity.
- Postoperative prophylaxis of bacterial invasions during surgery of abdominal organs, biliary tract, urinary system, during gynecological manipulations, but only in cases of possible or known contamination (suspicions that during any manipulations the antiseptic rules were not fully observed and / or infection has entered the systems and organs).
Not available in tablet form. It is produced in the form of a dry powder, packaged in vials of 0.25, 0.5 and 1 gram. It is used for parenteral administration. Immediately before use, a solution for injection is prepared by dissolving a dry antibiotic in a solvent.
What are they like
- Bactericidal effect.
- High therapeutic efficacy.
- Cross allergy in 10% of patients with penicillin intolerance.
- Do not show activity to enterococci, listeria, MRSA.
- They tend to break down under the action of extended-spectrum β-lactamases.
- Provide a higher effect with aminoglycosides.
- Available only in forms intended for parenteral administration.
The negative effect of cephalosporins
In most cases, cephalosporins will be well tolerated. This will be one of the reasons that they are widely used in medical practice. When using them, cases of allergic reactions, changes in the blood, phlebitis, dyspeptic and dyspeptic disorders are likely.
When prescribing ceftriaxone and cefazolin, the official recommendations of antibiotic therapy, including the prevention of resistance (resistance), should be followed.
- Cefazolin is an antibiotic that is the first generation of the cephalosporin group. Ceftriaxone is the third generation.
- Cefazolin is used in the treatment of infections in urology and as a prophylactic against bacteria after operations. Ceftriaxone also has a much wider range and can be used for infections of the respiratory system, lungs, kidneys, etc.
In most cases, the use of the drug Ceftriaxone will be more justified.
But still, it is worth considering that the drug from the group of antibiotics is correct, for the treatment of a single infectious disease, only a doctor can choose! It is more correct to make a choice between two drugs not independently, but by resorting to the help of a specialist. Also, it will not be superfluous to submit the medium for analysis to a bacteriological laboratory to determine the sensitivity of the pathogen to one or another drug. So you can be sure of the correctness of the choice of drug and know that it will have the maximum effect in a particular case.