Both drugs are recommended by doctors for the treatment of dental problems and inflammatory processes in the oral cavity.
However, in some situations, the recommendation will be different:
- With severe pain in the throat, Tantum Verde will do better.
- Oracept can be prescribed to a two-year-old child.
- If a pregnant woman needs to prescribe an anti-sore throat remedy, most often in such situations Tantum Verde is recommended.
- Orasept will not be prescribed to a patient with serious renal and hepatic problems.
- Tantum Verde will not be prescribed to a patient with a high predisposition to the development of bronchial asthma and tachycardia.
- Orasept better copes with tonsillitis (including purulent).
- Tantum Verde manages fungal infections better.
Hypersensitivity to the components of one of them may affect the choice of medication. It is also quite difficult to purchase Oracept – its availability in pharmacies is limited than Tantum Verde.
Horacept and Tantum Verde are credible for their healing qualities. But you should not use them constantly and without a doctor’s prescription, in order to avoid negative effects and not to provoke premature resistance of the body to the substances of these drugs. This is especially true for children who have not yet formed immunity.
Diseases of the throat can overtake not only in the winter. It is enough to drink ice water on a hot summer day to provoke an inflammatory process. Typically, in such situations, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory drugs are prescribed – Oracept or Tantum Verde. However, drugs have different therapeutic effects. Which one is better?
In ENT practice and dentistry, NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) and antiseptics are used for treatment and prevention . The former predominantly suppress tissue inflammation and anesthetize, while the latter exert antimicrobial and disinfectant properties.
Orasept belongs to the group of antiseptics, and Tantum Verde – to NSAIDs. Therefore, their effects on diseases will vary. What is the peculiarity of these drugs? And which and when to use?
Orasept is an antiseptic antimicrobial agent. It belongs to the local antiseptics of the phenolic group. It has a slight analgesic effect. The main substance is phenol. It is toxic, but the presence of glycerol smoothes its effect and prevents irritation of the oral mucosa and does not absorb into the bloodstream.
Indications for appointment:
The tool also fights fungal infections. It is used as a preventive measure when wearing dentures. May cause a negative effect on the body: allergies, swelling of the oral mucosa.
Release form: spray of 177 ml.
Usually it is sprayed in the oral cavity 3-4 times a day for about 5-7 days after eating. An overdose is characterized by stomach cramps, nausea, vomiting, and dizziness.
- Hypersensitivity to phenol or glycerin.
- Children’s age (up to 2 years).
- Severe kidney and liver dysfunction.
Pregnant women are assigned individually. During lactation, using a spray, you need to temporarily stop breast-feeding a baby. A prescription is not needed to purchase the medicine.
Tantum Verde is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug with antiseptic, analgesic and antifungal effects. The active substance is benzidamine. Quickly absorbed and assimilated in tissues, stabilizes cell metabolism.
Indications for appointment:
- Tonsillitis, pharyngitis, laryngitis.
- Gingivitis, stomatitis, glossitis.
- Therapy after dental treatment.
- Inflammation of the salivary glands.
- For prevention after interventions in the maxillofacial apparatus (trauma, fracture).
The medicine is prescribed in the complex therapy of ENT diseases and dental prophylaxis. Sometimes a negative effect is manifested: coughing and perspiration, numbness or skin rash.
- Spray 30 ml and 100 ml in a spray bottle.
- Spray (Forte) 15 ml in a bottle with a spray.
- A solution of 120 ml.
- Tablets (with the taste of mint, eucalyptus, orange and honey, lemon), 20 pieces per pack.
The medicine is used 3 times a day for 7 days after a meal. In case of an overdose, nausea, tachycardia, fever and anxiety may occur.
- Increased intolerance to the components.
- Children’s age (up to 3 years).
Research on the use of the drug during pregnancy has not been conducted, so it is recommended to use it in extreme cases. It can be purchased without a prescription.
Similarities of funds
Oracept and Tantum Verde are not pharmacological analogues, but they have some similar properties and practical use:
- Both are appointed in ENT practice and dentistry.
- They have an almost identical dosage.
- Suitable for complex treatment of diseases.
- Both are metabolized in the liver and excreted by the kidneys.
- Pregnant women are allowed to use these medicines under medical supervision.
- Rarely have a negative effect on the body.
- Both can (especially in case of overdose) affect the functioning of the nervous system.
- They are released without a prescription.
Differences of funds
Both drugs have effective properties in the fight against inflammatory diseases of the oral cavity. However, there are many differences between them:
- They belong to different pharmacological groups: Orasept – antiseptic, Tantum Verde – NSAIDs.
- The analgesic effect in the second is more intense.
- Orasept has a more toxic composition, so it has a larger list of contraindications.
- Tantum Verde is available in various forms and flavors.
- Oracept can be prescribed to children from 2 years old, and Tantum Verde – from at least 3 years old (spray).
- It is much easier to purchase Tantum Verde in pharmacies because of advertising promotion and brand recognition than Oracept.
- Tantum Verde enhances the effect of antibiotics and antiseptics.
- He can change the taste for a short time, which is not observed with Oracept.
- Some patients complained about the very specific taste of Orasept (a combination of cherry and phenol aroma).
- Resistance to antiseptics (including Orasept) is formed faster with repeated reuse than to NSAIDs.
- Tantum Verde is a little cheaper.