Herbion is a well-known drug created for the treatment of cough, including with complex therapy.
Depending on its main active ingredient, it can help with dry or wet cough. But the dosage of the drug does not change.
Before buying a medicine during pregnancy, you should know exactly what type of cough is tormenting you, and also consult with your doctor about possible side effects.
The drug is available in the form of a sweet syrup. The composition of the drug may include various active substances that determine the orientation of the Herbion:
- plantain, saving from dry cough ;
- ivy, for wet and dry cough ;
- primrose, against dry cough.
In addition to the active component, all syrups include:
- lemon and coriander oil;
- propylene glycol;
- a small dose of ethanol, absolutely safe for use;
- extract of lemon balm or its substitute;
- single molecule lymic acid;
- ascorbic acid;
- sorbitol solution without crystal formation;
- a small amount of glycerin that does not affect the reaction;
- pure medical water.
Due to the plant nature of the drug, it can be prescribed in the following cases:
- complex treatment of acute respiratory infections;
- complex treatment of acute respiratory viral infections;
- dry or wet cough;
- chronic diseases of the bronchi and upper respiratory tract;
- infectious diseases of the respiratory tract;
- dry cough caused by allergies or smoking.
It is worth taking this medicine only after consulting a doctor, as sometimes more serious diseases may be hidden behind the listed symptoms.
If the elevated temperature does not subside within three days, it is worthwhile to do additional tests and fluorography.
When serious symptoms such as blood in the sputum, loss of consciousness, severe dizziness, vomiting, and severe diarrhea appear, urgent emergency care is needed.
Already in the oral cavity, the drug begins to exert an antiseptic effect, killing harmful bacteria.
Getting into the upper respiratory tract, and then into the bronchi, Herbion establishes the proper functioning of the organ, relieving it of excess mucus or causing it to accelerate away when a person is tormented by a strong cough of a wet nature.
Along with the discharge of mucus, sanitation of the respiratory tract occurs, this quickly removes the inflammatory process, relieves pain and prevents the formation of new bacterial colonies.
In most cases, relief from the use of Herbion comes on the second day, after five days the symptoms should significantly decrease or completely disappear.
What is the danger (and is it dangerous?) Of the drug for pregnant women?
The drug Gerbion has only natural components in its composition, but nevertheless, among the contraindications to the use of the drug, pregnancy and lactation are called.
Contraindications to use are associated with the lack of data on the behavior of the body during the period of gestation, as well as what percentage of the drug passes through the placenta to the baby.
Among other contraindications are called:
- diabetes mellitus of any type;
- children under 2 years old;
- a history of acute obstructive laryngitis;
- intolerance to components, including auxiliary;
- asthma, including acquired;
- sucrose-maltose deficiency from birth;
- fructose intolerance.
When taking the drug with any of the contraindications, it can provoke severe side effects and lead to serious health problems.
Despite the plant nature of the drug, if the dosage is incorrectly prescribed or if there are contraindications , side effects are possible. These include:
- frequent uncontrolled coughing;
- skin rashes of non-allergic nature;
- excessive sweating and fatigue;
- tachycardia or vice versa slow heartbeat;
- severe vomiting and nausea;
- indigestion, in rare cases, bloody diarrhea;
- shortness of breath when walking at a calm pace;
- itchy feeling throughout the body;
- headache amid other symptoms;
- swelling of the face and limbs;
- bloating and discomfort in the chest;
- the manifestation of previously registered allergic reactions;
Dosage and duration of administration
Before appointing Herbion, the attending physician should prescribe general tests and consult with a gynecologist to identify the general picture of the health status of the pregnant woman.
If there are no obvious contraindications for use, the drug is prescribed in the following dosages :
- at the beginning of pregnancy and with a mild cough, it is taken in rare cases that the drug is prescribed in a dosage of 2.5 ml of Herbion twice a day for 5 days;
- in the second trimester and with an average degree of cough, 2.5 ml of syrup is prescribed twice a day, sometimes an increase in dosage is allowed up to three doses;
- in the last months of pregnancy, it is allowed to prescribe a maximum dosage of a drug of 5 ml twice a day, if the disease is of a mild form, the usual dosage is sufficient, as in the second trimester.
Regardless of the complexity of the course of the disease, you should carefully consider the dosages of Herbion. The course of treatment cannot last more than one week.
The maximum allowable intake of Herbion is 10 days, after which it is worth completely abolishing the drugs or finding more effective ones.
Due to the large number of contraindications and the risk of side effects, the appointment of Herbion in the first trimester is unjustified.
Also in favor of choosing another drug is the fact that Herbion is never prescribed for children under 2 years of age, and for pregnant women, as a rule, those drugs that are prescribed to babies from the first days of life can be used.
In the second trimester, the formation of the basic systems of the child’s body has already been completed, so you can apply for the appointment of Herbion.
During this period, doctors can safely prescribe herbal preparations if the pregnant woman does not have serious health problems. The dosage of the drug should be equal to the dose in the second trimester.
Sometimes, in complex cases of coughing attacks, you can take 2.5 ml of the substance three times a day. The maximum dose course of treatment should not last more than 5 days, after which it is worth another two to three days to take the usual norm of the drug.
Bromhexine. The drug is artificially created and also has a number of contraindications. In most cases, it is prescribed only from the second trimester.
It is forbidden to women with problems in the liver and kidneys, as it can provoke the appearance of protein in the urine, oxygen starvation of the baby, swelling and even miscarriage in the early stages.
Ivy leaf extract. Almost entirely consists of extracting leaves of medicinal ivy, which allows you to treat more complex cases of the disease.
With caution, it can be prescribed during pregnancy, if the benefit for the mother does not become a problem for the unborn baby.
Due to the stronger effect, the dosage of the drug is selected individually taking into account the course of the disease and the general condition of the patient.
Gedelix. Also a herbal preparation. It is much safer than Herbion, since it can be prescribed already from the first days of the baby’s life.
This feature allows you to appoint Gedelix in the first trimester of pregnancy, if there are no serious contraindications and restrictions for this. The dosage of the drug is equal to the dosage of Herbion.
You should not prescribe yourself a drug without consulting a doctor, as you can seriously harm your child.
This instruction is fact-finding and cannot be applied to all cases of the disease, since special cases of the course of the common cold are not considered here.
Only taking care of yourself and your future baby will help to quickly overcome the emerging disease and again become a healthy and happy mother.