As soon as the baby appears in the family, he receives the greatest amount of attention from relatives and friends. Moms and dads begin to take care of their babies from the first hours of their lives, paying attention to any changes in state and the appearance of various symptoms. This is especially true for signs of the disease: for example, a cough in a child at 1 month often scares parents, and they begin to sound the alarm.
It is worth noting that the concerns of mothers are quite justified, because many children have a higher risk of developing respiratory failure against the background of this symptom. The reasons for this manifestation can be many. Even if the cough in the newborn is not a consequence of the pathology of the respiratory system, the baby still requires increased attention and proper care.
Causes of Coughing in Infants
If the child is 1 month old and coughs, this does not always indicate pathology. Sometimes this manifestation can be a physiological process, not accompanied by concomitant symptoms.
Possible causes of cough in young children are:
- Accumulation of excess secret. The mucus produced in the nasal cavity often drains into the respiratory tract with a long stay in the supine position. This causes a cough that occurs most often in the morning when the baby wakes up. In this case, the parents have no reason to panic, because this manifestation is a physiological protective reflex. To eliminate the symptom, it is enough to turn the crumb on its side, stroking the back.
- Irritation of the mucous membrane of the respiratory tract by external factors. Dust particles, pungent odors, dried crusts in the nasal cavity can provoke a slight cough.
- Allergic reaction to products consumed by a nursing mother, medications, infant care products. In addition to coughing, parents note that the child has a runny nose, tearing, and the appearance of a rash on the skin. Read more about allergies in infants →
- Too dry air in the house where the baby is. Often this happens in the cold season, when people use heating appliances. Due to the low humidity, the mucous membranes of the respiratory tract are dried, causing the development of a cough. To prevent such a condition, it is necessary to regularly clean the room with daily floor cleaning. You can purchase a special humidifier.
- Foreign body. With accidental inhalation of small parts, insects in children, a cough occurs, which has a paroxysmal character. Such a clinical picture develops suddenly, the child looks scared, the skin can become red or cyanotic.
- Pathology of the respiratory system. If a bacterial or viral infection occurs, the cough is accompanied by a runny nose, fever. The child has difficult nasal breathing, he is lethargic, drowsy, refuses to eat.
It is worth noting that cough in newborns can occur during feeding. This means that the baby choked. In this case, you should calm the baby and give him a rest, and then continue feeding.
How does a cough start?
Depending on the cause, coughing in a 1-month-old baby may start differently. In the presence of a foreign body or laryngospasm, it usually occurs suddenly in the form of seizures. When a respiratory infection occurs, coughing first appears on the background of a runny nose and fever. If the problem is ignored, then soon the symptoms worsen, exacerbating the general condition of the baby.
Usually, mothers immediately pay attention to the appearance of a cough in their child. Whatever the cause of its occurrence, it is important to provide the necessary assistance in time. To do this, you should carefully monitor the condition of the crumbs and identify associated symptoms.
What is a cough?
If the child is 1 month old, he coughs heavily, and the parents suspected pathology, it is necessary to determine the presence of sputum in the airways. This is easy to do. It is only necessary to pay attention to the nature of the cough.
It is of two types:
- Dry. It is characterized by the presence of very thick and viscous sputum in the bronchi or swelling of the mucous membrane. In this case, the cough is most often paroxysmal, provoked by a deep breath. No expectoration of mucus is observed.
- Wet. Such a cough develops due to the accumulation of liquid sputum in the bronchi. After the attack, expectoration of mucus is observed, accompanied by relief. With a wet cough, the mother can hear wheezing that occurs during inspiration, or feel the so-called vibrations in the chest area, putting her palms to it.
Often, parents easily distinguish between dry and wet coughs. It is important to remember that treatment tactics depend on the nature of the symptom. Therefore, it is impossible to give medicines to a child on his own, this can worsen the general condition.
When is an immediate medical examination needed?
Many parents begin to be alarmed if a baby at 1 month of age coughs, asking pediatricians what to do in this situation. It is worth noting that sometimes this symptom does not threaten the health of the baby. However, there are times when an urgent visit to the hospital is necessary.
- Lethargy, general weakness, fever, refusal to eat.
- Cyanosis of the skin, accompanied by shortness of breath. At the same time, the swelling of the wings of the nose and the retraction of the intercostal spaces are often observed. Such manifestations indicate the development of respiratory failure and require urgent medical attention.
- Paroxysmal cough that occurs in the evening and at night, ending with vomiting. Such symptoms indicate the presence of pertussis in the child.
- A rough barking cough.
- Sudden stoppages of breathing, especially if they were preceded by a sound resembling the cry of a rooster.
- Distinct distant, wheezing.
It is important to remember that the appearance of any of the above symptoms requires an immediate medical examination and emergency care. Therefore, in the event of a deterioration, it is not worth delaying a visit to the doctor, even at night. If it is not possible to go to a medical institution on their own, parents should call an ambulance.
First aid child
With the development of serious respiratory disorders, it is urgent to call a doctor. However, before his arrival it is impossible to ignore the attack of coughing and shortness of breath – the baby needs help, alleviating his condition.
It is as follows:
- It is necessary to take the crumbs in their hands and calm them down.
- To free the chest from tight diapers, vests.
- Provide access to fresh air. To this end, you can open a window in the room, go with the baby to the balcony or to the street. In this case, the baby needs to be warmly dressed, but it is important that things do not constrain the chest.
- Give your child a warm drink.
- If nasal breathing is impossible due to the presence of a large amount of mucus, it must be pumped out using a special aspirator or an ordinary pear-shaped balloon.
Also, with stenosing laryngotracheitis, accompanied by a rough cough that resembles a dog barking, it is recommended to use distracting therapy: warm the baby’s legs, pour mustard powder into the socks. However, for young children, such manipulations can be dangerous, so it is advisable to refuse to perform any interventions, including the introduction of drugs.
Therapy should be aimed at eliminating the cause of the pathology that has arisen, as well as at eliminating the clinical manifestations. Parents should remember that only a pediatrician can determine how to treat a cough in a 1 month old baby. After examining the crumbs and performing the necessary tests, the doctor prescribes therapy.
It may include:
- Etiotropic drugs. These include antiviral agents and antibiotics aimed at destroying the pathogen.
- Mucolytics or expectorant drugs (with dry and wet cough, respectively).
- Antipyretic drugs.
- Other groups of drugs aimed at eliminating concomitant symptoms and developed complications (glucocorticoids, antihistamines).
Medicines and dosages are determined only by the doctor. In no case should you prescribe medications to your baby yourself by reading about them on the Internet or listening to the advice of friends. This can lead to allergic reactions, worsening of the general condition, overdose, impaired functioning of organs and systems.
What can not be done?
Noticing that a newborn child under the age of 1 month has a cough, parents begin to look for how to treat this manifestation. However, rash actions often lead to serious consequences.
Therefore, mothers and fathers should know what to do with a baby’s cough:
- Give etiotropic drugs on their own. Many mothers, listening to the advice of their grandmothers, are sure that the cough and temperature in a child is an occasion for taking antibiotics. This is a false assumption. Only a doctor has the right to prescribe therapy after examining the baby and making a final diagnosis.
- Give your child medications that inhibit cough centers (Glaucin, for example). This can lead to serious complications.
- Postpone the visit to the doctor, hoping that the cough will go away on its own. Even if the pathology did not become the cause of this phenomenon, the pediatrician’s consultation will not be superfluous. If you ignore the clinical manifestations, the risk of developing respiratory failure increases significantly.
- Rub the child’s body with alcohol, ointments. Such actions will only aggravate the situation, because the skin of a newborn is particularly sensitive and vulnerable.
- Try to arrange inhalations. Some mothers follow the advice of relatives to “breathe over boiled potatoes.” It is strictly forbidden to do this, especially to young children. Such manipulation is unlikely to help get rid of the disease, and the baby can get a mucous membrane burn very quickly.
Every mother should remember that any attempts to independently provide assistance often lead only to a deterioration and difficulties in making the correct diagnosis and prescribing treatment. Therefore, you can not panic, acquiring as many different kinds of medicines as possible in a pharmacy. Perhaps the baby just choked or inhaled particles of dust, which does not require drug therapy.
It is worth noting that with timely assistance, even serious respiratory diseases occur without threatening the health and life of the baby. Therefore, if a cough was noticed in a child at 1 month old, try to find out the cause, determine the presence of concomitant symptoms and go to the hospital if necessary.