The need to pass a urine test often arises even in infants. The study allows you to monitor the condition of the child during the illness, and is also included in a routine examination. But, since the baby has not yet asked for a pot, collecting an analysis can be a tedious task for parents. The urinal for newborns allows you to cope with the task without unnecessary effort and any discomfort for the child.
For inexperienced parents, the use of this device may be difficult. Let’s try to figure out how to use the urinal for newborn girls and boys.
Why do we need an urinal?
The urinal, which is a plastic bag with an opening for collecting urine anatomically adapted for the newborn, simplifies the procedure for taking the analysis. A special Velcro located around the perimeter of the hole, subject to the conditions of use, prevents the tank from slipping and fluid leakage.
By attaching the urinal to the baby’s skin in the perineum, you can collect the analysis as soon as the baby pees. The capacity of the tank is 100 ml.
The urinal for newborn girls and boys not only eliminates the need to “seize the moment”, but also prevents the entry of various microorganisms contained in non-sterile containers into the urine (disposable bag, pot, glassware, etc.). This ensures the reliability of the analysis result.
How to use it?
For newborns, there are universal urinals (with an oval hole), as well as adapted to the physiological characteristics of girls and boys. For ease of use, it is better to choose the second option.
They differ only in the shape of the hole. For girls, it is oval, with two branches at the bottom, and for boys – ovoid, pointed to the bottom.
Although mounting the tank does not cause any particular difficulties, it is worthwhile to purchase several urinals at once, in case the analysis fails the first time.
The gender of the child does not practically affect the use of the urinal, but there are still some differences. Consider the technique of collecting analysis in girls in stages:
- Wash your hands with soap, and also wash and dry your baby dry.
- Put the baby on her back and spread her legs.
- Remove the protective cover covering the Velcro fastener.
- Position the opening of the reservoir so that it is opposite the urethra. Before collecting urine from a newborn girl using an urinal, make sure that it is attached correctly. The sticky contour should be in contact with the labia majora, and the anus should be outside the urine collection area.
- Once you find the desired position, lightly press on the sticky contour to lock the tank. It is more convenient to first press the urinal from the anus, and then move higher.
- Carefully put the diapers on the child or fix the urinal with a diaper so that it does not slip when moving.
- After collecting enough urine, carefully loosen the reservoir. In different laboratories, the volume required for analysis may differ, so it is better to clarify this question in advance. Thanks to the marking on the tank to control the amount of fluid is not difficult.
- Cut one of the corners of the urinal and transfer the analysis to a sterile container. Usually they use special plastic jars sold in a pharmacy.
How to collect urine from a newborn boy in the urinal? All of the above items are relevant and in this case, only the technique of fixing the tank is different.
To put on a boy’s urinal, you need to place the scrotum and penis inside the hole, and then press the sticky contour to the skin of the perineum. Only the penis can be inserted into the reservoir, then the lower part of the latch will be attached to the scrotum.
The only thing that can complicate the collection of analysis is the lack of desire in the baby to pee. Breastfeeding or bottle feeding will help stimulate the child to urinate. You can also open the faucet in the bathroom and let the baby listen to the sound of water. Another way to speed up urine collection is to gently massage the baby’s lower abdomen.
If all these methods do not help, you need to wait a bit. But remember that the analysis was reliable, after an hour of use, the urinal must be replaced with a new one, even if the baby did not pee. After collecting the necessary amount of urine, it should be immediately delivered to the laboratory.
The maximum shelf life of the analysis is 2-3 hours. If it is not possible to get there quickly, it should be transported in a cooler bag in hot weather.
Advantages and disadvantages of the urinal
The use of the urinal, in comparison with the collection of analysis by improvised methods, has a lot of advantages. The most obvious of these is ease of use. In addition, the urinal for newborns, the instructions for which clearly illustrate the process of putting it on, minimizes the risk of fluid leakage.
There are other important pluses:
- Sterility. Any home packaging may not be clean enough, which will distort the results of the analysis. In addition, kids often write and poop at the same time. In this case, the use of the urinal (if it is fixed correctly) will help to avoid getting stool in the analysis, which does not guarantee other methods of collecting urine.
- The convenience of such a tank for a child. The materials of which the urinal is made do not cause allergies in the baby and do not irritate the skin.
- The cheapness of the products, allowing you to purchase them with a margin, in case the analysis fails at the first attempt.
Disadvantages in urinals are practically absent. But the reviews of parents contain information about the possibility of leakage of the product. If the tank is not damaged and securely fastened, the probability of this is small.
For greater reliability, it is recommended that you hold the child in your arms during the collection of the analysis. This will prevent accidentally displacing the urinal during active movements of the baby.
Also, with improper donning (too strong pressing of the sticky contour to the newborn’s crotch), it may be difficult to remove the reservoir. It will take more effort, which will increase the risk of damage to the skin of the child. Compliance with the recommendations for use can prevent this.
The urinal for newborns is a modern product that makes life easier for young parents. With its help, collecting urine from a baby will be much simpler, and the analysis result will be more reliable. Using the urinal requires some skill, but its low cost allows you to make as many attempts as you need.