Adherents of the diet believe that when cooking and frying food loses its beneficial properties. Eating raw food, in their opinion, returns a person to his natural beginning. Indeed, according to experts, the first people on Earth Adam and Eve ate only raw fruits and vegetables.
A raw food diet is a kind of vegetarianism, only in a more rigid form. The main principle of the diet is the consumption of vegetables and fruits, without first exposing them to heat treatment.
What you can eat with raw food:
- Fresh fruits: apples, peaches, apricots, bananas, pineapples, watermelons, melons.
- Fresh vegetables: carrots, cucumbers, zucchini, tomatoes, radish, beets, celery, turnips.
- Berries: strawberries, raspberries, currants, blueberries.
- Fresh greens: parsley, dill, celery, salad.
- Raw mushrooms only from ecologically clean areas. In no case should you pick mushrooms near roads.
- Nuts: almonds, hazelnuts, peanuts, pistachios, walnuts.
- Germinated seeds of wheat, sunflower, lentils, rice, buckwheat.
- Legumes: peas, lentils, green buckwheat.
- Dried fruits, naturally dried (without drying in special ovens).
- Sea kale. Before use, it should be soaked in water for 2 hours, and then washed in running water. Seaweed is a storehouse of 20 valuable amino acids, fats, and vitamins.
- Natural honey.
- Unrefined vegetable oil , cold pressed. These oils contain omega fatty acids.
In no case should there be chemistry, GMOs or mold in food.
- pickles, seals, as well as fermentation products;
- store-made juices;
- alcohol in any form;
- carbonated drinks;
- sweet water;
So, based on the above list, we can draw the following conclusion: raw food diet is a tough diet .
Even vegetarianism allows the use of certain dairy and fish products. Therefore, before deciding on such a step, consultation and permission of the doctor is necessary.
Types of raw food diet and their differences
Depending on the food consumed, a raw food diet is divided into the following types:
Vegetarianism is the most famous diet based on the use of both plant foods and certain types of animal foods:
This is the most gentle and, according to doctors, a healthy diet. The products included in the menu are able to replenish the body’s reserves with all the necessary substances.
For some, vegetarianism can be a transitional step to veganism, which completely eliminates meat and milk.
Veganism is a nutritional system that allows you to eat exclusively plant-based foods.
Fruitorianism is a type of raw food diet in which the lion’s share of the products is fruit. This diet is even tougher than veganism. Indeed, in this case, it should be excluded not only meat and milk, but also vegetables, herbs, nuts. You can only eat vegetables (not fruits): cabbage, carrots, beets, potatoes.
Raw food diet is based not only on a specific set of products, but also on their correct combination.
Classification of the diet by the method of mixing:
- Mixed. At one time they consume similar products: vegetables with vegetables, fruits with fruits.
- Monotrophic. At one time, they use strictly one raw product.
- Moderate. This mode allows the use of products of light heat treatment (steamed or boiled), but only by 25%.
With mixed nutrition, it is also allowed to combine fruits with nuts, vegetables with herbs. To properly prepare your salad for lunch, you must be guided by a special table of product compatibility. This table shows that some products, such as melon, cannot be combined with anything.
Monotrophic raw food diet is the rarest and toughest type of diet. According to some experts, it is raw-meat eating that promotes good assimilation of food. The photo shows a girl before and after a raw food diet. The results are impressive!
To understand what type of raw food diet to choose, you first need to switch to vegetarianism, and only then try more stringent diets. If the body normally responds to such nutrition, and the results of the diet are “on the face”, then the diet has come up.
The benefits and harms of raw food
A raw food diet is, of course, a healthy diet, as it consists 100% of fresh vegetables and fruits, rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. However, this diet excludes animal protein, which is also necessary for our body. So how useful is this nutritional system and to whom is it contraindicated?
The benefits of raw food:
- heals from diseases;
- relieves of chronic colds and diseases;
- eliminates extra pounds;
- saturates the body with energy;
- removes toxins;
- rejuvenates the body;
- improves skin condition;
- the body requires much less time to sleep;
- dependence on food disappears – a person eats only by the natural urge of hunger.
Harm of raw food diet:
- leads to a deficiency of useful trace elements;
- provokes gastrointestinal upset;
- causes aggression;
- raw food diet obliges to a constant system of nutrition.
Obviously, this system has more advantages than disadvantages.
Raw food diet in winter: diet, diet
For raw foodists, a great time is spring, summer and autumn. In the warm period, nature always presents its juicy gifts. An affordable solution could be to purchase your own garden.
And what to do in the winter? Where to get fresh fruit? As already mentioned, this diet requires money. For example, a wealthy person can go to the warm regions – India or Thailand for the winter period.
If leaving is not an option, you will have to eat those products that are in the arsenal of supermarkets.
A raw food diet should include foods in the following ratio:
- fruits and berries – 50%;
- vegetables – 35%;
- dried fruits, seeds, nuts, honey – 10%;
- products containing starch – 10%;
- natural seasonings: herbs, mint, vegetable oil – 1%.
Raw food diet in winter:
- Foods rich in calcium: cabbage, nuts, sesame seeds. Cabbage perfectly retains its properties in the winter. You can use all its varieties: broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, kohlrabi, sea kale. The latter contains a lot of iodine, which is the main element for the thyroid gland.
- Frozen or dried greens. You can also grow greens on your windowsill in special boxes.
- Pickled vegetables: cabbage, tomatoes, cucumbers.
- Raw vegetables: beets, carrots, turnips, pumpkin, celery. You can make a turnip salad seasoned with sesame oil and pepper.
- Frozen fruits and berries.
- Citrus fruits : tangerines, oranges, lemon.
- Dried fruits dried in the sun.
- Nuts. This product contains 70% fat, which is so necessary for raw foodists. Nuts are the main source of fat for them.
- Vegetable oil rich in vitamin D. You should only use first-pressed oil of the following varieties: olive, sunflower, flaxseed, corn.
- Honey, propolis, bee bread.
- Juices and clear water.
Thus, even in cold weather, raw foodists will not remain hungry. If you properly stock up on food from the summer, then in the winter you can stick to your diet without a threat to health.
How to switch to a raw food diet: secrets, tips, menus
One of the founders of this diet is the American doctor Herbert M. Shelton. He built a clinic in his city, which specializes in treating diseases in a natural way. The doctor practices not only a raw food diet, but also therapeutic fasting, which, in his opinion, heals a person from many diseases.
Raw food secrets:
- There should be when a natural feeling of hunger sets in. According to Shelton, eating by the clock is not always justified.
- Chew food slowly and carefully.
- Eating, you should not be distracted by extraneous matters: watch TV, read, talk.
- Do not eat before exercise.
- Do not overeat.
- Do not feed children against their will.
- After eating, you can drink it only after 30 minutes. The same interval should be maintained before meals.
- You should drink water only when you want and how much you want. Drinking 2 liters of water per day, according to the doctor, is a myth.
- Food should only be consumed at room temperature. Having pulled it out of the refrigerator, it should stand and heat up.
- The cooked raw dish should be eaten immediately, and not left the next day, since vitamins tend to evaporate in the air.
- Breakfast should be no earlier than 9.00, lunch should be light, and dinner should be early and comprehensive.
- Nuts should be eaten before the main meal in order to have time to assimilate.
- At temperature, only drinking regimen should be observed.
- In order to saturate the body with the necessary trace elements, the products should be alternated in every way and combined with each other.
- The menu should be designed so that a person can get the required daily amount of calories.
Where to start a raw food diet
There are two ways to switch to a raw food diet: smooth and sharp.
The first is based on the fact that adhering to the usual menu, you should include one raw product every day, while excluding the other, the familiar one. Do this every day until the fried, smoked, and also sweet are completely gone from the diet.
A sharp transition is to immediately stop eating thermally processed foods. But this is a very dangerous way. It is better to give preference to the first.
Tips for beginners:
- It is necessary to have a clear motivational base. This is necessary at the initial stage, while the body is not yet adapted to new food. As soon as there is a temptation to quit everything, you need to remind yourself why this is done: to lose weight, recover, etc.
- The transition to a new regime is better in the summer, when the assortment of berries and fruits is diverse.
- At the very beginning, you must immediately abandon the semi-finished products, canned food and sauce. This food does not carry any value to the body.
- The second stage of the transition will be the rejection of meat, fish and milk. At the same time, you can allow yourself to cook cereals and eat stewed vegetables.
- At the final stage, you should completely abandon the heat treatment of products. Grains should be steamed with boiling water, and vegetables should only be eaten raw.
Raw Food Menu for Beginners
- breakfast: banana, apple, kiwi in 2 pieces;
- lunch: peanuts 50 grams;
- lunch: steamed green buckwheat and vegetable salad;
- afternoon snack: dried fruit 70 grams;
- dinner: bread rolls and fruit smoothie.
At first, you should listen to your condition. If a person is dizzy during the transition to a new diet, is sick and other symptoms are observed, then it is better to leave this venture for a while and try a less rigid diet – vegetarianism.
A raw food diet is contraindicated for people in the following categories:
- children under 18 years old;
- pregnant and lactating mothers;
- older people after 70 years;
- people with gastrointestinal diseases;
- in the postoperative period;
- people suffering from anemia;
- weight-deficient adults.
Thus, a raw food diet is not suitable for everyone. Even a healthy person needs a doctor’s consultation to switch to a new diet.
Daily Raw Food Recipes
If the transition period is successful, and the person finally decided to become a raw foodist, then his menu should be balanced and correctly composed.
Menu for a raw food diet for a week
- Breakfast: 2 bananas, an apple and an orange.
- Lunch: 100 walnuts.
- Lunch: a salad of fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers and onions, seasoned with vegetable oil. As a side dish – steamed green buckwheat.
- Snack: dried fruits.
- Dinner: mashed avocado, tomato, herbs. You can eat with bread.
- Breakfast: 3 grated apples.
- Lunch: freshly squeezed juice.
- Lunch: carrot cutlets and sprouted wheat.
- Snack: fruit salad.
- Dinner: vegetable salad.
- Breakfast: oatmeal with berries.
- Lunch: raisins and dried apricots.
- Lunch: broccoli and pea salad. Garnished with sprouted lentils.
- Snack: 2 bananas.
- Dinner: pumpkin porridge.
- Breakfast: fruit puree.
- Lunch: sunflower seeds – 1 cup.
- Lunch: vegetable cream soup with onion bread
- Snack: watermelon or melon.
- Dinner: vegetable salad.
- Breakfast: 150 grams of wild strawberries with currants.
- Lunch: hazelnuts – half a cup.
- Lunch: zucchini salad. Garnish – pumpkin porridge
- Snack: dates.
- Dinner: salad of arugula, cabbage and tomato seasoned with lemon juice and oil.
- Breakfast: fruit salad of banana, apples and mandarin.
- Lunch: a salad of cucumbers, dill and garlic.
- Lunch: vegetable salad. Garnish – sprouted wheat.
- Snack: smoothies from zucchini and herbs.
- Dinner: a salad of seaweed, sweet pepper and sesame seeds.
- Breakfast: 1 glass of blueberries or raspberries.
- Lunch: freshly squeezed orange juice.
- Lunch: a salad of fresh mushrooms, tomatoes and cauliflower. Garnish – sprouted chickpeas.
- Snack: Korean style squash and carrot salad.
- Dinner: vegetable salad with grated nuts sauce.
Simple recipes for a raw food diet
There is an erroneous opinion that dishes for raw foodists are not diverse and quite fresh. To dispel this myth, this article provides recipes for delicious raw food dishes.
- celery root;
- onion – 1 pc.;
- cabbage – 0.5 heads;
- bell pepper – 2 pcs.;
- tomato – 2-3 pcs.;
- garlic – 2 cloves;
- salt and allspice.
How to cook:
- Steam vegetables.
- Beat in a blender.
- In seasoning add seasoning.
- Pour the pulp with vegetable broth and let it brew for 1 hour.
- Puree soup is cold with bread. You can add chopped greens to the plate.
- Take 1 cup lingonberry, 0.5 cup blueberries, 1 cup almond milk.
- Beat the mixture in a blender until smooth.
- Season the cream soup with honey and vanilla.
Dishes with raw food diet are allowed for young and healthy people, since this diet is a lot of stress for the body. In order to start raw food diet, it is necessary to undergo a full examination by a doctor, get a medical permit. Observing all the rules of the diet, you can achieve good results: get rid of extra pounds and improve your health.