Both chondroprotectors can be purchased without a doctor’s prescription, but self-medication is prohibited. Only the doctor must decide which medication is better individually for a particular patient, taking into account the severity of the pathological process and the presence of contraindications.
In the treatment of osteoarthrosis, chondroprotectors are used. This group of drugs includes Arthra and Arthra MSM Forte.
The drug is available in tablets, which contain 500 mg of chondroitin sodium sulfate and glucosamine hydrochloride as the main ingredients .
In addition to them, the medication contains the following inactive ingredients:
The shell is formed by the following components:
- Titanium white.
The drug is available in oval, convex tablets from 2 sides. They are covered with a white film sheath, interspersed with a yellowish tinge, the inscription “ ARTRA” is allowed on one side . The tablets have a specific smell.
The drug activates the process of restoration of cartilage tissue, prevents its destruction. It takes part in the formation of connective tissue, has a moderate anti-inflammatory effect.
Glucosamine, taken orally, enhances the production of cartilage matrix and protects it from the negative effects of glucocorticoids and NSAIDs.
Chondroitin alleviates the symptoms of osteoarthritis and reduces the need for non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
Glucosamine bioavailability is only 25%. It quickly migrates to internal organs, most of it in the liver, kidneys and cartilage. It displays an advantage with urine, the half-life is 2 days 20 hours.
The bioavailability of chondroitin is 13%. It is allocated by kidneys. The half-life lasts 6 hours 10 minutes.
Arthra MSM Forte
Arthra MSM forte is available in tablets, the therapeutic effect of them is explained by the following therapeutic components:
- Sodium Hyaluronate contains 10 mg.
- Chondroitin Sodium Sulfate 400 mg.
- Glucosamine hydrochloride 500 mg.
- Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) 1.3 g.
As additional components, the medicine contains the following substances:
- Stearic acid.
The composition of the shell includes the following components:
- Titanium white.
- Medium chain triglycerides.
The drug is available in biconvex oval tablets, which are coated. Their color can vary from pale yellow orange to dark orange. The drug has a specific smell.
The active substances of the drug slow the progression of osteoarthritis, they inhibit the destruction of cartilage and contribute to its restoration. The medicine relieves pain and inflammation, improves blood supply to the subchondral bone plate.
Methylsulfonylmethane refers to organic sulfur-containing compounds. It is part of hormones and proteins, such as collagen, elastin, keratin, has an analgesic and anti-inflammatory effect.
What is common between drugs
There is much in common between medicines:
- Both medicines are used to treat osteoarthritis of the musculoskeletal system.
- Medicines should be stored in a place inaccessible to children at a temperature of 10 to 30 degrees.
- Both medicines should not be drunk with an allergy to their composition, patients under 15 years of age, women in position and lactating a child. With caution, they should be drunk with a tendency to bleeding, people with bronchial asthma and diabetes.
- Both drugs can cause allergies, bloating, indigestion, stool retention, and gastralgia.
- Both chondroprotectors should be drunk 1 tablet twice a day for 21 days, then 1 tablet once a day.
- Medicines increase the absorption of tetracycline antibiotics, weaken the effect of semisynthetic penicillins, and may enhance the effect of fibrinolytic drugs, indirect anticoagulants and antiplatelet agents.
Comparison and how do they differ
Arthra and Arthra MSM forte have the following differences:
|Arthra||Arthra MSM Forte|
|Shelf life||5 years.||36 months.|
|Number of tablets per pack||30, 60, 100, 120.||30, 60 and 100.|
|Side effects||Dizziness.||Nausea, vomiting.|
|Effect on ability to drive a car||There is no data, but taking into account the fact that the drug can cause dizziness, caution should be exercised.||The medication does not affect the ability to drive a car and work with potentially dangerous mechanisms.|
|Therapy duration||At least six months.||Minimum 3 months.|
|Overdose||Signs of overdose are unknown.||Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, hemorrhagic rash. The antidote is unknown, the stomach is washed, the symptomatic therapy is prescribed.|
|Contraindications||Tablets are forbidden to drink in case of severe renal impairment.||With caution, the medication should be drunk if intolerance to the composition of seafood is observed.|