Prescribe the use of such strong hormonal drugs should be a specialist. He will collect an anamnesis and prescribe the necessary remedy according to the testimony.
In childhood, they prefer to prescribe Advantan (emulsion), which causes fewer side effects and copes well with diaper rash and childhood dermatitis and eczema. Akriderm is recommended for use in childhood with caution not earlier than one year.
Akriderm is suitable for more complicated skin diseases where an antibacterial effect is required. He will better cope with psoriasis, while Advantan will have a quick action, but an unstable result.
Advantan has a more pronounced antiallergic effect, therefore, in this case, it is often prescribed.
Contraindications may decide the choice in favor of one or another drug. For example, a patient with diabetes will be given Advantan rather than Akriderm.
Increased intolerance to the substances of the drugs will also affect the choice of the patient and specialist in favor of one of them.
Akriderm and Advantan have proven effective in treating skin diseases. However, they should not be used for prophylaxis or in cases where a non-hormonal drug can cope. Due to the speed of the effect, patients neglect caution and use glucocortisteroid drugs instead of natural and safer ointments and creams.
Sometimes ointments and creams containing natural substances are not able to cope with skin problems. In this situation, hormones are prescribed. The most popular are Akriderm and Advantan. What is their difference? And which one helps better?
Akriderm and Advantan belong to the group of hormonal drugs of the glucocorticosteroid type. They are based on steroid hormones that are synthesized in the adrenal cortex. These drugs relate to synthetic analogues of these hormones. As a rule, they are prescribed when other means after prolonged use do not give a therapeutic effect.
Akriderm and Advantan are prescribed for complex forms of skin diseases. They penetrate deep into the epidermis and fight the source of the disease from the outside and inside. However, the drugs vary in composition, so they will have a different therapeutic effect. Which one is better? And when to apply?
Akriderm is a hormonal drug for treating epidermal problems. The active substance is betamethasone. It belongs to the group of strong hormonal agents. It copes with symptoms such as itching, inflammation, allergic rashes, has antiproliferative (excessive proliferation of various cells) and a vasoconstrictor effect.
Purpose of the drug:
- Dermatitis (contact, professional, medication, solar, seborrheic, toxic, atopic).
- Lupus erythematosus.
- Lichen planus.
- Itchy skin of various etiologies.
It is produced in several forms with the addition of special substances to cure certain diseases.
Types of drug:
- Akriderm ointment 0.05% and cream 0.064% for 15 g or 30 g in a tube.
- Akriderm Ghent (with the antibiotic gentamicin 0.01%) ointment and cream 0.64% for 15 g and 30 g.
- Akriderm HA (with gentamicin and clotrimazole 0.01% each ) ointment and cream 0.064%.
- Akriderm SK (with salicylic acid 0.03%) ointment and cream 0.064%.
The content of the antibiotic is necessary for complications of an infectious nature. Clotrimazole – with the manifestation of fungal symptoms. Salicylic acid – for diseases with hyperkeratoses.
- Individual intolerance to the components.
- Severe skin infections.
- Skin cancer.
- Trophic ulcers.
It is not forbidden to use during pregnancy, but you should do this with caution. Usually it is well tolerated if you follow the instructions and do not use it as a prophylaxis. Allowed as over-the-counter leave.
Advantan is a hormone for the treatment of skin. The active substance is methylprednisolone aceponate. It belongs to the group of strong hormonal drugs. It has an intense anti-allergic and generating effect.
Purpose of the drug:
- Dermatitis (atopic, contact, allergic, sunny, seborrheic).
- Eczema (true, microbial, dyshidrotic, professional).
Advantan is sometimes prescribed for psoriasis, when the pathology begins to progress. However, this will not lead to prolonged remission.
It is produced in four forms:
- Ointment 0.1% in tubes – 5 g, 15 g, 20 g, 25 g, 30 g, 50 g.
- Cream 0.1% in tubes – 5 g, 15 g, 20 g, 25 g, 30 g, 50 g.
- Fat ointment 0.1% (due to the addition of castor oil) in tubes – 5 g, 15 g, 20 g, 25 g, 30 g, 50 g.
- Emulsion 0.1% in tubes of 20 g and 50 g.
Typically, the drug is easily tolerated and causes negative effects only in a situation of prolonged use. Among them there are itching, burning sensation, rarely skin atrophy, hypertrichosis.
- Increased intolerance to the components.
- Infectious and viral skin lesions.
- Children’s age (up to 4 months).
- Allergic reactions to vaccination.
There are no clear studies on whether to use Advantan during pregnancy. However, experts recommend applying it with caution during this period and refrain from prolonged use. It can be purchased without a doctor’s prescription.
Similarities of funds
Akriderm and Advantan have some similarities:
- Both belong to the hormonal group of the steroid type.
- Both are strong varieties of glucocorticosteroid drugs, so they can not be used for a long time.
- They fight dermatitis of the skin, penetrating deeply, thereby eliminating the source of the disease.
- They are not recommended for use in infectious complications.
- Both can be addictive. Although in this case, Akriderm will have a more dose-dependent effect.
- They can not be combined with other glucocorticosteroid drugs.
But they also have differences among themselves. They will be of great importance when choosing a drug.
Difference of means
A distinctive feature of each other in drugs is the active substance.
Akriderm contains betamethasone, which is dose-dependent, therefore, can lead to more rapid addiction than Advantan. The second contains methylprednisolone aceponate, which, with moderate and proper use, minimally affects the body.
Akriderm is released additionally with other substances that help solve various skin problems, which Advantan cannot do due to the narrow focus of exposure. Therefore, the first drug is suitable in cases of fungal infections of the epidermis and as an antimicrobial agent due to the antibiotic.
However, Akriderm is not recommended for children younger than at least a year (for some of its species and up to 7 years), while Advantan can be used for a four-month-old child.
They differ in methods of application. Most often, Advantan is enough to apply 1 time per day, and Acriderm – 2 times.
Akriderm can cause many side effects due to its complex composition. In this regard, Advantan is preferable, because it is safer.
The difference in the price of drugs is small, but Advantan is a bit more expensive.