It is unambiguous to say that it is better not to ointment or gel, they have their pros and cons. Both dosage forms have identical indications and contraindications, they can provoke an allergy.
When using the ointment, additional efforts must be made to rub it, which may not be very convenient for elderly patients. In addition, this form of release has a specific smell, which not many like, although some patients do not feel it. After using the ointment, it is not recommended to dress for half an hour, otherwise the drug will be absorbed into the clothes instead of the skin. In this regard, the gel is better, even if it got on the fabric, it is easily washed off with water and leaves no residue. But the ointment is consumed more economically than gel. And it is recommended to use it when the gel did not help, since in combination with massage movements during its rubbing, the effect may be somewhat stronger.
Chondroxide belongs to the group of chondroprotectors. The drug has an analgesic effect and stops the inflammatory process. It is available in several dosage forms, including in the form of ointment and gel. Let’s try to figure out how they differ among themselves.
The ointment is a light yellow mass that smells of dimethyl sulfoxide. The healing property of it is explained by chondroitin sodium sulfate.
Also its composition includes auxiliary components:
She has the following actions:
- Relieves pain and inflammation in degenerative inflammatory pathologies of the musculoskeletal system.
- Improves mobility of joints and reduces their swelling.
- Pauses the progression of osteochondrosis and osteoarthrosis.
- Promotes the restoration of cartilage in the joints.
The composition of the medication is selected in such a way that all incoming components complement the effect of each other. Its main active ingredient, chondroitin sulfate, takes part in the construction of cartilage tissue and has the following useful properties:
- It activates the biosynthesis of mucopolysaccharides, which are present in connective tissue, bones, synovia and form a connective tissue matrix together with collagen and elastin.
- Reduces the activity of enzymes that destroy cartilage.
- Improves the metabolism of phosphorus and calcium in cartilage.
- Slows down the destruction of cartilage tissue.
- Prevents damage to connective tissue.
All this leads to a weakening of pain and increased mobility of the joints.
The drug is well absorbed when applied to the skin. The absorption rate reaches 14%. Dimexide, which is part of the drug, improves the absorption of chondroitin into deeper tissues. The drug selectively penetrates the joints, the maximum content of the drug in them is noted after half an hour. The drug is removed from cartilage in 2 phases. One hour after application, the completion of the fast phase. The retention time of the drug in the joints is 5 hours.
The gel is a yellowish transparent homogeneous mass with a fruity aroma. It also contains sodium chondroitin sulfate as the main component .
In addition to it, the composition of the drug includes formative components:
- Fragrance orange.
The gel and ointment have a similar mechanism of action and pharmacokinetics.
Apply it to the pathological lesion with a thin layer using the plastic applicator that comes with the kit. Thanks to him, he manages to apply the medication and not get his hands dirty, besides this, the medicine is spent more economically with him. It is not necessary to apply the drug in a thick layer, since it will begin to roll in small balls.
What is common between release forms
Ointment and gel have the following similarities:
- They are used for degenerative-dystrophic pathologies of the skeleton. They can be used to treat and prevent osteoarthrosis and osteochondrosis.
- Chondroxide in dosage forms for external use can be used for children, pregnant and lactating patients, after consulting a doctor.
- To date, there have been no cases of overdose of external dosage forms of chondroxide.
- The medicine is contraindicated for use with allergies to its composition. The drug can not be applied to open wounds, you need to make sure that it does not get on the mucous membranes, if this happens the medication should be washed off with water.
- They can cause allergies, which requires the abolition of therapy and the appointment of antihistamines.
- They can be used in combination with other medicines, since there have been no cases of drug incompatibility of the ointment and gel with any drug.
- They do not have a sedative effect, when used, the psychomotor reaction does not slow down and they do not adversely affect the ability to drive a car.
- Both dosage forms should be applied 2 or 3 times a day to the pathological foci with light massage movements for 2-3 minutes until the medicine is completely absorbed. The duration of therapy can vary from 14 days to 3 months. If necessary, the course of treatment can be repeated.
- They reduce the need for non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
Comparison and how do they differ
Between the external dosage forms of chondroxide, there are the following differences:
|The basis||The ointment base is more oily, dense and oily, it needs to be rubbed longer than the gel preparation, and it remains on the hands.||The gel base is well distributed on the skin, it is easily rubbed and quickly absorbed without leaving a greasy shine.|
|Cost||The price of ointment 30 g is about 330 rubles.||The cost of a 40 g gel is about 380 rubles.|
|Smell||The ointment has a specific, not very pleasant smell.||The gel smells like orange.|
|Weight of the drug||Ointment can be packaged in 30 g and 50 g.||Gel on sale is 20, 25, 30, 35 and 40 g.|
|Holiday Rules||Prescription drug.||OTC drug.|
|Shelf life||36 months.||24 months.|