Pirantel and Vormil are not completely interchangeable, therefore, a doctor should choose an anthelmintic therapy taking into account the patient’s age, indications, contraindications and tolerability of treatment.
Pyrantel and Vormil are anthelminthic drugs that are used to treat helminth infections in adults and children. Despite the fact that they belong to the same pharmacological group, there are many differences between medicines that need to be known before they are taken.
Pyrantel is produced by several domestic and foreign companies. Therefore, the composition of auxiliary components may vary. On sale, the drug is in the form of tablets and suspensions.
Pyrantel acts on roundworms. It becomes the cause of neuromuscular blockade in nematodes, as a result of which they are excreted from the host.
Parasites at an early stage of development and its mature forms are sensitive to the drug, but the drug is ineffective against larvae when they migrate to the tissue.
The drug is poorly adsorbed from the digestive tract. Its maximum concentration in the blood is observed 1-3 hours after oral administration.
No data penetrates the drug through the placenta and whether it is secreted through the mammary glands during lactation.
In the liver, Pyrantel is metabolized, excreted through the intestines.
Vormil contains albendazole as a therapeutic component. The drug is produced in chewable tablets, suspension, powder from which suspension is made.
In addition to albendazole, the following inactive components are part of the tablets:
- Corn starch.
- Sodium starch glycolate.
- The essence of mixed fruits.
The suspension contains the following inactive ingredients:
- Twin 80.
- The essence is raspberry and mixed fruit.
Once inside the body, the active substance blocks the polymerization of β-tubulin, as a result, destruction of the cytoplasmic microtubules of intestinal parasite cells is observed. The drug blocks the utilization of glucose and the transport of organelles in the nematode muscles and the worms die.
The drug penetrates many body fluids, it can be found in urine, bile, and cerebrospinal fluid. He also migrates to the liver, cyst walls and cystic fluid.
The half-life varies from 8 to 12 hours, the medicine is excreted through the kidneys, with an impaired organ function, the half-life does not change.
In patients with liver pathologies, the bioavailability and maximum concentration of the drug in the body increase, the half-life is extended.
Similarities of funds
Pirantel and Vormil have the following similarities:
- Reception of anthelmintic agents is incompatible with breastfeeding, therefore, during therapy, the infant must be transferred to the mixture.
- Medicines can be purchased at the pharmacy by prescription.
- Due to the use of anthelmintic drugs, nausea, vomiting, increased liver enzyme activity, allergic reactions, rashes, fever, headache, and dizziness may occur.
- When infected with pinworms, Pirantel or Vormil should receive all family members. After the end of therapy, it is necessary to take the tests again.
Comparison and how do they differ
Pyrantel and Vormil have the following differences:
- Both drugs can be used for infection with roundworms. They are used to treat ascariasis, hookworm infection, necatorosis, trichocephalosis, to get rid of pinworms. In addition, Vormil is prescribed for mixed parasitic diseases, strongyloidosis, neurocysticercosis, provoked by larvae of Taenia solium, echinococcosis of the liver, lungs, peritoneum, which are caused by larvae of Echinococcus granulosus, giardiasis, toxocariasis. The drug is used as an additional tool for the surgical removal of echinococcosis cysts.
- Fed is contraindicated during gestation. Before you start taking it, you need to conduct a pregnancy test and only if it is negative, start the therapy, and use reliable contraceptives during it. Women in the position of pyrantel can be drunk only when the benefit to it exceeds the harm to the child.
- There were no cases of overdose of Pirantel. If the recommended dosages of Vormila are exceeded, the patient is recommended to rinse the stomach and give activated charcoal if symptomatic treatment is necessary.
- Medicines have different contraindications for use. Both drugs should not be drunk with intolerance to their composition. With caution, anthelmintic agents should be taken in patients with impaired liver function. In addition, Vormil should not be drunk with damage to the retina of the eye, they should be treated with caution in case of problems with blood formation. Pyrantel is prohibited in myasthenia gravis, with caution, it should be given to children under six months old.
- Against the background of treatment with Vormil, abdominal pains, a decrease in the level of platelets and leukocytes, signs of meningitis, an increase in blood pressure, acute renal failure, reversible alopecia, and skin itching can occur. Due to taking Pirantel, gastralgia, upset stomach, drowsiness, difficulty falling asleep, upset hearing, hallucinations, impaired consciousness, paresthesia can occur.
- When taking anthelmintic drugs, you must be careful when driving a car and working with potentially dangerous mechanisms, as they can cause dizziness.
- When prescribing Vormila with dexamethasone and cimetidine, the content of the anthelmintic in the body increases. Piperazine adipate is a Pyrantel antagonist, therefore it is not recommended to drink them together. In addition, Pyrantel increases theophylline level in plasma, as a result, dose adjustment may be necessary.
- Patients with neurocysticercosis in the Vormil complex need to take glucocorticosteroids orally or inject them intravenously to prevent an increase in blood pressure. In this disease, anticonvulsants must be obtained simultaneously with the anthelmintic drug.