What is better Smecta or activated charcoal should be decided by the doctor, since medicines are not completely interchangeable. Both medications can cause unwanted effects and have contraindications.
For indigestion of various origins, Smecta and activated charcoal are often prescribed. These medicines belong to the group of enterosorbents. Given the difference in price for many, the question of which medication is more effective is relevant.
Smecta is made in suspension and powder, which must be diluted with water to obtain a suspension for oral administration. The medicine is packaged in sachets. As the main component, it contains diosmectite .
The suspension contains the following indifferent substances:
- Fragrance of caramel cocoa.
- Vitamin C.
The homogeneous suspension smells of caramel, its color is yellowish-gray.
The composition of the powder includes the following additional components:
- Sodium saccharinate.
- Fragrance vanilla.
- Orange flavoring (included in the powder with the smell of orange).
The color of the powder may be grayish white or grayish yellow, the smell is vanilla or nonspecific.
It is recommended to drink the adsorbent for treatment:
- Acute and chronic diarrhea.
- Heartburn, increased gas formation, discomfort in the abdomen and other signs of dyspepsia, which are observed due to pathologies of the digestive system.
The drug is available in flat tablets, black. They have a facet and risk. They are produced by different companies, so the composition of their forming components can vary significantly.
The drug has an enterosorbing and antidiarrheal effect. It adsorbs toxic and toxic substances, such as alkaloids, glycosides, hypnotics, heavy metal salts, drugs, sulfa drugs, gases, hydrocyanic acid, phenol, end products of metabolism.
Coal is not adsorbed in the digestive tract and is excreted from the body during the day.
It is recommended to drink the drug if it is observed:
- Poisoning of various genesis.
- Foodborne infections, intestinal infections caused by Shigella and Salmonella.
- Poisoning with salts of heavy metals, alkaloids, drugs, medicines, including sleeping pills, psychotropic drugs.
- Allergic reactions caused by food and medicine.
- Dyspeptic disorders and bloating, which are observed against the background of gastrointestinal tract pathologies.
- An increase in bilirubin caused by viral hepatitis or jaundice.
- An increase in nitrogen-containing substances, which is observed due to renal dysfunction.
Coal is recommended to be taken to remove gases from the intestines before an ultrasound and X-ray examination, as well as to people who work in hazardous industries to prevent chronic intoxication.
What are the drugs like?
Smecta and activated carbon have the following similarities:
- Adsorbing agents are allowed to drink for pregnant and lactating women.
- They are forbidden to take with intolerance to their components, in which case they can provoke an allergy.
- Both medications while taking with other medicines disrupt their absorption.
- Enterosorbents are allowed to drink to drivers without any restrictions.
- Both medications can cause stool retention.
- Adsorbents are sold over the counter.
Comparison and differences
There are the following differences between Smecta and activated carbon:
|Manufacturer||Smecta is produced in France by Ipsen Pharma.||The drug is produced by several Russian companies, for example, Tatkhimpharmpreparaty, Medisorb.|
|Release form||Suspension, powder for suspension.||Tablets.|
|Shelf life||36 months.||The shelf life of the drug may vary depending on the manufacturer, for example, a medicine manufactured by the Usolye-Siberian Chemical Pharmaceutical Plant has a shelf life of 36 months, and a medication from Irbitsky KhMZ – 24 months.|
|Pediatric Use||Smecta has no age restrictions.||Depending on the manufacturer, activated carbon can be used from different ages, for example, a medicine from the Usolye-Sibirsky Chemical Pharmaceutical Plant is prohibited for up to 3 years, and a medicine manufactured by Lumi LLC can be used from birth.|
|Storage temperature||The medicine can be stored at temperatures up to 30 degrees.||Coal does not lose its properties at a temperature of no higher than 25 degrees.|
|Overdose||The drug, if taken in dosages higher than recommended by official instructions, can cause bezoar and constipation.||There were no recorded cases of an overdose of enterosorbent.|
|Contraindications||The medicine should be taken with caution with a tendency to delay stool.
To reduce the likelihood of constipation while taking Smecta, you need to drink plenty of water.
|Tablets are prohibited for gastrointestinal ulcers, bleeding from the digestive tract,
atony of the intestine. With caution, they should be drunk to diabetics and people who follow a low-carb diet.
|Price||The cost of the drug may be different depending on the number of bags in the package. It can vary from 125 to 390 rubles.||The price may vary significantly depending on the company and the number of tablets in a pack. The cost can vary from 5 to 85 rubles.|
|Adverse reactions||Bloating, nausea.||Stool black, upset stomach. When taking activated charcoal for more than 2 weeks, hypovitaminosis may develop.|