Considered medications are used to treat cough of various etiologies. They have an expectorant effect, thin the viscosity of sputum, which accelerates its excretion. Both are safe to use. They have a relatively low cost, which makes them affordable for everyone. You can buy it without a doctor’s prescription.
Despite the fact that both drugs are used to treat cough, they have certain differences.
The main ones include:
- Composition. This is their main distinguishing feature. Bromhexine is a synthetic agent, Mukaltin is a completely natural drug.
- Mechanism of action. Due to the different input components, the action provided may vary.
- Country of origin. Bromhexine is produced in Russia, the second tool is made in Kazakhstan.
- Release form. The domestic drug has several forms of release, including tablets, syrup, drops. Mukaltin has only a tablet form.
- Side effects. Bromhexine can sometimes cause unpleasant side effects from the stomach and other organs. Mukaltin does not have any undesirable effects.
Both drugs are highly effective and have been successfully used in medical practice for many years. Their advantage is the low price compared to similar drugs.
Before choosing the right tool, many focus not only on efficiency, but also on a convenient form of release. Since Bromhexine is available in several forms, most prefer it. It will be more convenient for children to take syrup than tablets.
Despite their safety and free sale without a prescription, it is better to discuss the issue of choosing the right medicine with your doctor. This is especially true in cases where the cough lasts a long period of time.
One of the unpleasant phenomena of various colds is a cough. It can persist for a long time, even when the underlying disease has already receded, so medical treatment is required. To eliminate this pathology and alleviate symptoms, various drugs are used. There are a huge number of them, but Bromhexine and Mukaltin are considered the most effective. This article will describe their basic properties, common similarities and differences that will help with the selection.
Characterization of the drug Bromhexine
It is a mucolytic drug with an expectorant property. Helps reduce sputum viscosity, stimulates secretory cells of the bronchial mucosa. It is available in the form of tablets, syrup, oral solution.
The following main indications for the use of this drug are distinguished:
- Diffuse inflammation of the mucous surface of the trachea and bronchi.
- Violation of air patency on bronchial ducts.
- Chronic disease of the respiratory system with concomitant attacks of suffocation.
- An inherited disease affecting the organs that secrete mucus.
- Chronic pneumonia.
- Preventive therapy after surgery.
- Other respiratory tract pathologies characterized by difficulty in expectorant action.
The only contraindication is increased susceptibility to the constituent components. During pregnancy, it is allowed to take if the benefits of treatment exceed the potential danger to the fetus. During lactation, it is recommended to suspend feeding during therapy. Use with caution in case of gastric ulcer, gastric bleeding, bronchial asthma under the supervision of a doctor.
After taking, unwanted side effects can be detected:
- Violation of digestion of food, discomfort in the stomach, a feeling of heaviness and quick satiation.
- An increase in hepatic parameters in the blood.
- Headache, dizziness.
- Skin rashes, itching.
- Increased sweat.
- Spasm of the bronchi.
After the appearance of these signs, it is necessary to reduce the dosage used, and if they are strengthened, you should stop taking it, telling the doctor about it.
It is well compatible in combination therapy with herbal remedies based on essential oils.
Characterization of the drug Mukaltin
It is a cough medicine of plant origin. It has an enveloping, expectorant, softening effect, and also helps to relieve the inflammatory process. The active ingredients envelop the mucous surfaces, providing protection against irritation. As a result, inflammation decreases, tissue repair occurs. In addition, it has a protective function for the gastric mucosa. The active substance is the extract of Althea officinalis root. It is released in tablet form.
- Inflammation of the larynx associated with colds or infectious diseases.
- Damage to the mucous membrane of the trachea with concomitant edema, excessive secretion of mucus.
- Diffuse inflammation of the bronchi.
- Chronic disease of the respiratory system.
- Gastric ulcer, duodenal ulcer.
Almost no contraindications, it is approved for use by children, women during lactation and pregnancy. An exception is the individual intolerance of the marshmallow.
It is a completely safe means and does not adversely affect the body. In rare cases, an allergic reaction may occur.