Both drugs belong to the same pharmacological group of steroid hormones. They have anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic, immunosuppressive effects on the body. They have similar indications for use, contraindications, side effects. Actively used in connective tissue diseases. Both funds are issued in Russia.
In addition to the general properties, there are certain differences between these medicines:
- Composition. This is their main difference. The active substance of Dexamethasone is its component of the same name. Diprospan contains betamethasone.
- The mechanism of work. Due to different active substances, the effect on the body may vary.
- Type of issue. The first drug is available in several dosage forms – injections, tablets, drops. Diprospan is only injectable.
Both drugs are effective and are in great demand. Since they have general indications, they can be replaced with each other if necessary. Use them as soon as possible.
These drugs can only be used according to the strict recommendations of a doctor. They have a lot of contraindications and side effects, can cause serious harm to the body, so self-treatment is unacceptable.
It often happens that complex pathologies cannot be treated with conventional drugs. This is especially true for diseases of autoimmune, allergic, inflammatory etiology. For these purposes, medicines based on steroid hormones are used, the result of which occurs within a short period of time.
Before using them, you must carefully select the choice. In medical practice, Dexamethasone and Diprospan have gained great popularity.
Characterization of the drug Dexamethasone
It is a medicine of synthetic origin based on steroid hormones. It has anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic effect, and also prevents the development of tumor cells, provides artificial immunosuppression. In addition, it helps to eliminate increased vascular permeability and fluid output. Available in the form of tablets, solutions for injection, eye drops.
Indications for use are:
- Malignant anemia.
- Inflammation of the thyroid gland of an acute or subacute stage, lack of hormone production.
- Ophthalmic disease with concomitant damage to the eye muscles.
- Bronchial asthma.
- Exacerbation of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Nonspecific ulcerative colitis.
- Pathology of connective tissue.
- Enhanced destruction of red blood cells.
- Decreased platelet count, accompanied by high bleeding.
- Bone marrow failure.
- An allergic reaction to whey proteins.
- Large-scale redness of the skin.
- Painful blisters on the skin and mucous membrane of an autoimmune nature.
- Eczema is acute.
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia.
- Swelling of the brain.
- Anaphylactic shock.
- Spasm of the bronchi.
- Joint diseases, including osteoarthritis, osteoarthrosis, osteochondrosis.
Contraindicated in the following cases:
- Previous joint operations (with intra-articular administration).
- Blood clotting disorder.
- Infectious diseases.
- Marked narrowing of the joint space.
- Fungal skin diseases, deep wounds (for external use).
- Eye tuberculosis, purulent infection (when used in ophthalmology).
This drug may cause unwanted side effects:
- Decreased adrenal function.
- Weight gain, facial swelling.
- Increased blood pressure.
- Excessive hair growth of the whole body.
- Muscle weakness.
- Decrease in the level of calcium, potassium.
- Increased sweating.
- Mental disorder, accompanied by impaired consciousness, hallucinations.
- Sudden feeling of happiness or depression.
- Disorders from the cardiovascular system, including decreased heartbeats.
- Gastrointestinal problems.
- Decrease in muscle mass.
Characterization of the drug Diprospan
It is a steroid drug that helps relieve inflammation, eliminate allergic reactions. In addition, it has the ability to inhibit immune responses, and also affects metabolism. Available in the form of injections for intramuscular, intraarticular, subcutaneous administration.
- Pathologies of the musculoskeletal system, including arthritis, arthrosis, ankylosing spondylitis, bursitis, osteochondrosis, damage to the sciatic nerve.
- Diseases of allergic genesis, including asthma, reaction to pollen, rhinitis, bronchitis, allergy to insect bites.
- Dermatological diseases – dermatitis, eczema, nettle fever, psoriasis, lichen, etc.
- Systemic diseases of the connective tissue – lupus erythematosus, skin hardening, purple disease, vasculitis.
- Tumor formations of the hematopoietic and lymphatic tissue.
- Violation of the adrenal cortex.
- Damage to the mucous surface of the eyes.
Prohibitions for use are:
- Fungal diseases.
- Arthritis of an infectious etiology.
- Violation of the range of motion in the joint.
- Individual intolerance to compound substances.
Use with caution in case of thyroid insufficiency, pathologies of internal organs, herpes of the eyes, purulent infections, reduced bone mineral density.
From side effects may occur:
- Retention of fluid in the tissues, which can lead to edema.
- Excessive withdrawal of calcium, potassium.
- The formation of wen.
- Weight gain.
- Heart failure.
- Weakness in the muscles, decreased tone.
- Osteoporosis, which can lead to a compression fracture of the spine, tubular bones.
- Erosion of the stomach.
- Deterioration of wound healing.
- Depressive conditions.
- Menstrual irregularities.