Headache is a frequent companion of the modern man. To provoke its appearance can abrupt sounds, stress, illness. This type of pain is considered to be one of the strongest. To get rid of it and traditional methods, but they far are not always effective.
So you have to resort to the use of drugs. One of these is ibuprofen. He copes with the pain caused by overexertion, exposure to high loads and fatigue.
The mechanism of action of the drug
Ibuprofen is available in the form of small tablets light shade, it depends on the manufacturer which produces the drug. They contain 200 mg of active ingredient. In addition, the pill contains substances such as starch, edible gelatin and wax. Their concentration is extremely small. They are necessary for the formation of the shell of the pill. Ibuprofen for headaches acts as an anti-inflammatory agent.
After entering the blood the active ingredient inhibits the formation of biogenic amines and prostaglandins. This leads to decreased sensitivity of receptors responsible for the perception of pain.
The effect is achieved already after 15 minutes after taking the drug. In severe cases, an analgesic effect can be observed after 45 minutes. Maximum result of of ibuprofen occurs after 2 hours. Most of the substance is excreted from the body, but a small amount may be deposited in the joints.
Dosage and rules of use
Use of ibuprofen for headaches is useful in the following amounts:
- Adults and children over 12 years is acceptable to take 1-2 tablets as often as three times during the day. In this case, 2 pills should be taken only when a very severe headache.
- Children aged 6 to 12 years can take 1 tablet. Thus the time interval between successive meals should be 6 hours. Thus a day you can eat no more than 4 tablets. The calculation of the exact dosage needed to produce the weight of the child.
It is best to take ibuprofen in between meals. You should not use the drug on an empty stomach, as this can lead to undesirable consequences from the gastrointestinal tract.
Each tablet should drink plenty of pure water. The duration of intake of the drug should not be more than 5 days.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
During pregnancy can take ibuprofen only in exceptional cases, when other means do not help. The use of this drug with expecting mothers can negatively affect the baby’s health. Particularly dangerous is its use in the later stages.
The use of ibuprofen during pregnancy can provoke:
- The development of heart disease in a toddler;
- To increase the likelihood of miscarriage;
- A disturbance in the formation of the digestive tract of the child.
Ibuprofen penetrates into the milk, so during lactation, of also must be abandoned. If you had to drink one tablet, you will have to put off a feeding for at least 2 hours. So more than half of the substance has time to be absorbed by your body and baby to minimal dosage.
The main symptoms of overdose
Uncontrolled drug intake may lead to serious health problems. Therefore, you must strictly adhere to the rules of its use.
The main overdose symptoms of ibuprofen include:
- The appearance of nausea and vomiting;
- Aching pain in the region of the stomach;
- Gain a headache, the appearance of dizziness;
- The feeling of sleepiness and lethargy;
- Lowering blood pressure;
- Abnormal heart rhythm.
Very large doses can lead to kidney failure or even coma.
Ibuprofen is a very effective tool. But unfortunately it is not without side effects.
Among them are the following:
- The appearance of heartburn;
- Disorders in the bowel, which can be frequent constipation or diarrhea;
- Poor appetite;
- The development of pancreatitis or stomach ulcers;
- Problems in the oral cavity, such as stomatitis or ulcers of the mucous membranes;
- Bronchial asthma;
- Increased blood pressure and palpitations;
- The manifestation of allergic reaction.
There are the following contraindications:
- Individual intolerance substances;
- Bleeding in the gastrointestinal tract;
- High blood pressure, congestive heart failure;
- Diseases affecting blood clotting, such as hemophilia, thrombocytopenic purpura and others;
- A lack of vitamin K in the body;
- The period of acute gastritis or peptic ulcer disease;
- Diseases of the organs of vision such as color blindness, scotoma and some other;
- Diseases of the organs of hearing.
Interaction with other medications
While taking the drug should avoid treatment with aspirin. Ibuprofen is able to completely neutralize the acetylsalicylic acid. However, their joint reception can lead to negative consequences. Often when coadministration of these drugs may experience bleeding in the gastrointestinal tract.
In addition, harm to health and the co-administration of ibuprofen with drugs affecting gut motility and kidney function.
The cost of the drug
Today in any modern pharmacy can you buy ibuprofen domestic production. Price for 50 tablets ranges from 15 to 80 rubles.
There are also imported products, the active ingredient of which is ibuprofen. Their price can reach 450 rubles.