Which of the medicines is definitely better, you can’t say. The effect of the drugs is the same. When choosing a medicine, you need to take into account the personal characteristics of the body, study the list of indications for use and the presence of contraindications.
Almagel A has a strong analgesic effect, so it quickly and permanently relieves pronounced pain syndrome with gastroduodenitis, gastritis, ulcerative lesions of the stomach and duodenum.
Almagel NEO is the best option for flatulence. Duration of use – no more than 3 weeks. The tool can affect intestinal motility, so people suffering from constipation, hemorrhoids and intestinal obstruction need to take medicine with caution or give preference to Maalox.
With severe heartburn, a violation of the diet and while driving, it is better to use Maalox (it helps to get rid of discomfort in a short time and does not cause drowsiness). In addition, chewable tablets are convenient to carry and take in any conditions. Children under 10 years old can not take any of the drugs, from 10 to 15 years – only Almagel, from 15 years – both antacids.
When consuming spicy, fatty and salty foods, everyone faces problems in the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract. In order to quickly get rid of painful and unpleasant sensations, you need to take medications designed to combat acid-dependent gastrointestinal diseases.
The drug, based on magnesium hydroxide and aluminum hydroxide , is taken for heartburn, discomfort, and epigastric pain. Active substances reduce the amount of hydrochloric acid released in the stomach, and eliminate the manifestation of painful symptoms. The enveloping effect of antacid provides protection of the mucous membrane from damaging factors.
The tool is available in the form of a suspension and tablets. A white suspension with a sweet taste and aroma of mint is made in 15 ml single-use sachets, in 250 ml bottles and 4.3 ml mini-sachets (sold both individually and individually), with lemon and blackcurrant flavor. There are two types of chewing tablets: with sugar (with mint flavor) and without (with lemon flavor), in a blister pack of 10 pcs.
The medication is taken for diseases of the intestines and gastrointestinal tract to normalize the level of acidity in the stomach.
The drug is produced in dosage forms similar to Maalox. The suspension is white in bottles of 170 ml of glass or plastic, with the smell of lemon and a measuring spoon in the kit, as well as in 10 ml sachets (in pharmacies you can buy either a package of 10 sachets, or individually) If you have benzocaine or Simectikona has the name Almagel A and Almagel NEO. Tablets in Russia are not registered, are sold in Kazakhstan, Belarus and Ukraine.
General characteristics of drugs
Most indications for use:
- Gastroduodenitis (inflammation of the pyloric region of the stomach and duodenum)
- Heartburn, discomfort and pain in the epigastrium, with errors in the diet.
- Peptic ulcer of the stomach and duodenum.
- Esophageal hernia (a disease in which the upper part of the stomach penetrates the chest through the opening of the diaphragm)
- Reflux – esophagitis (inflammation of the mucous membrane of the esophagus arising from the contents of the stomach entering the esophagus)
- The manifestation and prevention of dyspepsia (discomfort and pain in the epigastrium, most often with a violation of the diet)
General active ingredients and excipients:
- Magnesium stearate.
- Sodium saccharinate.
- Severe renal failure.
- Hypersensitivity to the components.
- Fructose intolerance (due to the presence of sorbitol in the composition)
- Pregnancy and lactation (can be used only with the permission of a doctor)
Side effects with prolonged use and overdose:
- Allergic reactions.
- Diarrhea, constipation, nausea, belching.
- Bradycardia and renal failure.
The need to observe time intervals of 2-4 hours before taking other drugs (may affect the absorption of certain drugs in the digestive tract, in particular antibiotics)
Both drugs are nonabsorbable antacid preparations , which means that they do not cause manifestations of “acid rebound” – a repeated increase in the amount of hydrochloric acid in the stomach, after the end of the drug.
Comparison and differences of medicines
Despite the fact that both drugs are aluminum-magnesium antacids and are largely similar (they are analogues), there are still differences:
- Almagel has more indications for use: gastritis, pancreatitis, colitis, enteritis.
- Maalox has fewer side effects and contraindications (does not cause drowsiness, taste impairment, impaired absorption of calcium)
- Due to the different ratio of active substances of magnesium and aluminum (1: 1), compared with Almagel (1: 3), Maalox does not affect intestinal motility. This means that the risk of diarrhea or constipation is reduced.
- Several excipients and flavorings are different. Almagel contains: hyetellose (the substance helps to ensure a uniform consistency), propylene glycol (used as a solvent for mixing components), macrogol (laxative) In Maalox: hydrochloric acid (to increase acidity), xanthan gum (thickener), guar (laxative)
- The drugs differ in speed and duration of action, Maalox acts faster and longer, after 3-5 minutes, for 3 hours. Almagel in 10-15 minutes, for 2 hours.
- Almagel is more diverse in form of release. Suspension NEO – due to simectic in the composition, helps the release of gases and reduces gas formation in the stomach and intestines. Almagel A – thanks to benzocaine, has a long-lasting local anesthetic effect.
- Maalox has a longer shelf life (3 years) than Almagel (2 years)
- Maalox can be taken longer than Almagel – for 2-3 months (with the permission of the doctor)
- It is worth noting that in Russia, Maalox, unlike Almagel, can be purchased in the form of tablets.
- If you compare the cost of drugs – Almagel is a little cheaper.
- In all Almagel packages, there is a measuring spoon in the kit, which simplifies the process of taking the drug.
- Almagel can be given to children from 10 years old, Maalox – from 15 years old.