7 secrets of the perfect meringue you need to know
The recipes look simple meringue: whip the egg whites with the icing sugar and sometimes lemon juice. But to get a really light dessert, all you need to do the right thing.
- Eggs for meringues should be not the fresh, and about a week ago. The whites of these eggs is better whipped.
- Separate the whites from the yolks carefully. If even a little yolk gets in the whites, she just doesn’t get whipped.
- Separate the whites from the yolks need immediately after you get the eggs out of the fridge. But before the whipping, the whites should stand at room temperature for half an hour. Thanks to this, the basis for the meringue to be more airy.
- Whisk whites in a clean dry container. The mixer nozzle should be the same. Even a drop of water or grease you will not be able to whisk the egg whites to a froth. For reliability you may pre-wipe the dishes with lemon juice, and then with a paper towel.
- Use no sugar, and powdered sugar. If not, regular sugar can be ground in a coffee grinder. Protein weight whipped better with the powder. In addition, grains of sugar can remain in the meringue, which means that the dessert will not be so gentle.
- The powdered sugar you need to add after you whip the whites to foam, and not before. Her need to pour a portion, about a teaspoon, continuing to whisk egg mass.
- The lemon juice added at the end to weight not lose volume. Based on the calculation of ½ a teaspoon of juice to 1 egg white. But if you have a pretty powerful mixer, and whipped the whites in the stable foam, the juice can be added. In any case, it won’t hurt the finished dessert.
How to cook the meringue in the oven
This is a classic method, whereby meringue puff and beautiful.
- 3 egg whites;
- 180 g powdered sugar.
What else can I add in the meringue
The taste and appearance of the classic meringue will help to diversify:
- food extracts or flavorings (vanilla, almond, mint, fruit and so on);
- food coloring (gel colors make the meringue more shiny, powder, Matt);
- fruit or vegetable juice;
- chopped nuts;
They are added to the protein mass at the end of cooking.
But be careful. Oils (e.g., nuts) and fluids can prevent the formation of foam. Therefore it is better to add just a little bit than to overdo it and ruin the meringue.
If you want to add food flavors, in any case, do not use ones with alcohol. He also did not give the squirrels to climb.
Separate the whites from the yolks. Whisk whites with a mixer at first on low speed for about 30 seconds. Only when the whites begin to foam, increase speed to medium and beat until a thick white foam.
Then gradually add the powdered sugar. Unplug the mixer and agitate base to the meringue with a spoon, collecting from the walls of the protein mass, which is dispersed in the process of whipping.
Then beat for another few minutes at high speed. You should get a thick foam of uniform consistency. To check the readiness of Foundation for meringue can be, oddly enough, raising the capacity from her upside down: the protein weight should remain in place.
Ready basis put in cooking bag. You can do a normal spoon, but dessert is not as beautiful.
Preheat the oven to 100 °C. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and form it into meringue.
Place baking sheet in oven at medium level for 1-1. 5 hours. Cooking time depends on the size of meringue: the smaller they are, the faster will be ready. For too large meringue will take about 2 hours.
Do not open the oven during cooking. Because of the temperature drop meringue can crack. The finished meringues should easily separate from the parchment.
After cooking turn off the oven, slightly open the door and leave the meringue inside to cool down for a few hours.
How to cook the meringue in a slow cooker
Meringue from the slow cooker is no different from the meringue from the oven. This method of cooking is suitable, for example, in the case if it is not possible to use the oven.
The proportions of the ingredients and the cooking method is the basis for the meringue not too different from the classic recipe. But keep in mind that you have to cook meringue portions or reduce the quantity of ingredients 2-3 times.
Put on the bottom of the slow cooker with parchment paper or foil. Form it of the meringue with a spoon or a cooking bag a short distance from each other.
Turn on the “Baking” and cook with the lid open for 1 hour and 20 minutes. With the lid closed meringue will not are dried. After cooking, leave the meringue in multivarka with the lid open to cool down.
How to make meringues in the microwave
This meringue will not be as airy as the dessert out of the oven or a slow cooker. Meringues in the microwave warms from the inside, so after cooking quickly settles.
The advantage of this method is that you need very little time. And the meringue will be more crispy.
The number of ingredients and method of preparation of the basis for meringue differ from the classic recipe.
- 1 egg white;
- 150 g of powdered sugar.
Separate the white from the yolk. Mix protein and sugar. You can do this with a mixer, but you can use a whisk or a spoon. You get a thick dough that you can knead by hands.
Divide it into several small pieces and roll from them balls. Lay out the balls on a dish with a parchment or paper towel on a fairly large distance from each other.
Cook the meringue at maximum power for 30 seconds. In the cooking process the dough will spread, so the meringue will turn out flat.
How to store meringue
Meringue does not tolerate humidity, so in the fridge it will dampen. It should be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for longer than a week.
By the way, meringues can be cooked even without eggs. For this purpose, akwaaba – liquid of boiled beans, which is whipped in a lush foam.