You can knit the first children’s shoes with both knitting needles and crocheting – this is an exciting and very useful activity. Traditional knitting booties with knitting needles have four or two knitting needles.
Since knitting booties is a fairly quick process, you can create different stylized options for each set of clothes for a small fashionista or fashionista. In general, there are various types of soft knitted shoes for children – these are shoes, sandals, and even knitted sneakers and moccasins. By creating your own models, you can always additionally insulate them, or vice versa – make them light and practically weightless.
In newborn models, it is important to make as few stitches as possible. Those that are simply necessary are processed with a knitted seam and tied with soft ribbons, so that the child does not feel discomfort.
How much time will it take
In general, it takes no more than three hours to tie booties for the newborn. Having mastered the simplest techniques, it will be possible to proceed to the implementation of the original models.
Booties can be both festive and elegant, as well as everyday. In both cases, they will satisfy you in every way. If desired, you can sew leather insoles on the sole of the booties. So the baby will be able to go out into them even in cloudy weather, when the rain periodically breaks. It is undesirable only to use small details for decorating such children’s shoes, which the baby can accidentally swallow, causing a lot of excitement to his loved ones.
How to choose the right yarn
Of course, for children, only the best types of yarn from natural wool, cotton or acrylic are chosen. Woolen and acrylic booties will warm the baby in winter, and cotton will help him feel great in the summer heat.
When preparing for knitting winter patterns, it is important to choose the right wool yarn, because it is often spiky or even rough.
Such options are not suitable for newborns or for children who are already trying to walk, and this wonderful desire cannot be taken away from them.
Experienced and knowledgeable experts do not recommend the use of Angora wool. The length of the pile can be a problem for the baby, whose palms are often wet and touch surrounding objects, which causes the villi to get into the baby’s mouth. It is believed that for booties it is better to choose merino wool of a favorite shade. Kids with allergies will be able to wear acrylic models. In many cases, it is acceptable to use a mixture of acrylic with natural cotton yarn.
Jewelry for booties and matching materials
Moms often want to brightly and unusually decorate children’s products. However, it is worth considering the use of lurex. The metallized thread will scratch and irritate the delicate baby skin, causing an aversion to any kind of shoe.
The best materials for decorating baby booties are:
- satin braid;
Using these materials for decoration, you should in the future, after each wash, do not forget to check the reliability of their fastening. Children constantly try the objects they taste that can lead to the accidental swallowing of a bead or thread.
When buying, it is important to clarify how resistant your chosen yarn to wash, whether the fibers are rolled. After all, I want to keep a pleasant look of booties for as long as possible!
Beautiful and bright booties
Since the child every second gets acquainted with the world around him, trying to see every detail of it, bright colors and gentle tones will form an aesthetic perception and just please the baby and his mother. The future character, as well as the ability of a grown up baby, largely depends on how the general mood and atmosphere around the child will be.
Doctors often advise not only to inflate and hang colored balloons in the room, but also to wear clothes of various colors with beautiful ornaments or good designs. Remember, the first childhood impressions depend on you, as well as how bright and colorful the child will remember the world for life!
How to determine size
The size of the booties depends on the age of the baby:
- newborns usually have a foot length of about 9 centimeters;
- at the age of 3 to 6 months, the leg grows another 1 centimeter;
- by eight months, the length of the foot is approximately 11 centimeters.
Making booties – knitting patterns and important tips
So, if you firmly decided to tie booties for a child, you can be calm for his comfortable pastime and state of health. Unlike socks, booties do not slip off the leg, and also protect the child from hypothermia and injury. The use of Velcro or ties allows you to correctly fix the first shoes on the children’s foot.
Useful Knitting Tips
Basic tips for weaving booties for newborns:
- products for newborns should be as flexible as possible, soft, clearly repeating the shape of the children’s legs;
- fingers should not be squeezed;
- the use of internal seams is not desirable – they should be replaced with external ones or even excluded from the knitting scheme.
In general, there are several different knitting patterns, for example, knitting booties with knitting needles for beginning mothers consists in combining stockings or flaps. If you are more determined and ready to master one or several techniques, choose thin threads – it will be easier for you to cope with them.
For newborns do not need a lot of yarn. Forty grams is enough. Surely, you acquired the simplest weaving or knitting skills as a child, and your imagination will necessarily appear in the process of creating the first shoe, because the kid is so wonderful!
Now it is worth recalling the method of knitting in a column. To do this, take the hook in your hands and just feel it. Then the hands will automatically begin to repeat long-forgotten movements.
If you have chosen the method of knitting, then you only need the ability to create front or back loops. If you can’t remember the movements, you can always watch the video of the workshops on the Internet. Next, we will consider a knitting pattern for booties with knitting needles, as well as a diagram of how to crochet booties with a step-by-step description.
The basic scheme for knitting booties with knitting needles
The first scheme of knitting booties should be simple and understandable even to those girls who have not held knitting needles in their hands for a long time.
To understand how to knit booties with knitting needles, you need to understand the basic principles and follow the instructions step by step :
- We take the yarn and collect the required number of main loops – for example, 39. To find out how many loops are needed, it is worth knitting a small shred and just see what happens. You should also be sure to measure the child’s leg, and then dial on the needles the required number of loops multiple of three. On a note! Usually, when using yarn of medium thickness, 1 loop fits 2 loops.
- Choose a weaving pattern. The most practical option is an elastic band, but you can also use a scarf or pearl knit as a basis. The first method involves the presence of only facial loops in each row, and the second is the sequential alternation of rows of front and back loops.
- We knit the cuff of the desired length and the first wrong side.
- Now you need to divide your knitting into three parts. For example, if initially you had 39 loops, then each of the parts will consist of 13 loops. In the case of the presence of “extra” loops, they are all added to the middle flap.
- Next, knit the middle part: when calculating its length, you should take into account not only the size of the child’s feet, directly, but also the number of loops left.
- If you will tear the thread, do it at the end of the middle part. After knitting the loops along the edge of the sole, the next step should begin to knit the edge.
- The left and right edges need to be raised to the same height, knitting tightly with deferred loops.
- Now let’s start knitting the sides of baby booties. At this stage, it is worthwhile to show maximum imagination by choosing a beautiful pattern or interesting decoration options. It is possible, for example, to alternate the rows of seamy and facial stitches in any combination.
- Having connected the sidewalls, you can begin to form the sole. It is usually done with a handkerchief – so the baby will be more comfortable. It is important to remember that the wrong side ends in this case with the wrong loop, and at the end of the front row there is the front loop.
- Then you continue the tapering knitting until there are 6 stitches on each knitting needle, after which they can be removed from the knitting needles. The resulting seam is sewn and twisted, because we have already said that in booties there should be no internal seams. Outside, the hem should be tied with a ribbon to give aesthetics to the appearance of the product. Knitted booties are beautiful and comfortable, and decorating them is a pleasure!
How to crochet booties
Using the crochet booties crochet method for beginners, you need to divide the process into two stages:
- Sole formation.
- Knitting the top of booties.
Options for simple schemes
A brief scheme for crocheting booties is as follows:
The arrow indicates the start of mating. Next, we collect 15 air loops and one additional – to raise the row. Now you can measure the length of the resulting chain. It should correspond to the length of the children’s foot from the toes to the heel.
Now you have to knit half columns, making it as tight as possible, because you form the sole of the booties. Later we turn to the columns, which can be both with a crochet, and without it. The principle is this: from one loop you will knit two columns, and finish the last row with half columns.
The crochet pattern of booties for newborns, namely, their soles from double crochets looks like this:
An air loop and seven double crochets are used here.
We knit the upper part of the booties as follows:
In the diagram you see the upper part of the booties from the base to the ankles. First crochet the columns, at the last stage there are six dozen loops.
A variety of shapes and colors of booties
Now that it has become clear how to knit booties, it is worth thinking about more interesting knitting options. There are many varieties of such children’s shoes – knitting booties are varied.
Often, mothers design booties in the form of eared bunnies, dogs and cubs, decorate them with crocheted flowers or ruffles, and come up with even more original options. There are even booties-sneakers!
A variety of knitting patterns are presented on the Internet by the mothers themselves, who were so inspired by their own experience of creating beautiful booties on their own that they decided to share the intricacies of knitting with others. The network is filled with the most incredible options of various designs.
Here, for example, are some ideas for inspiration:
Where can I buy materials for creativity
It is not difficult to choose and purchase threads for booties. This can be done both remotely by ordering delivery from an online store, and using the services of a retail chain of haberdashery stores. We hope that the information from our article will help you, where we have examined in detail all the subtleties of choosing a thread for children’s products.
Remember, the main and fundamental rule of the first children’s shoes is not only beauty, aesthetics and convenience, but also the hypoallergenicity of the material from which it is made.
Finding a well-illustrated article on the topic “booties master class” is not difficult. And having become infected with this pleasant and useful activity, you can not only give the baby or baby the warmth of their hands, but also significantly save the family budget. Mom, who knits herself, causes white envy among others, as well as respect from her husband, because such practicality is a vivid embodiment of femininity.