The first movement of the baby in the womb is the most joyful and touching moment for every expectant mother. And, of course, every woman looks forward to this moment.
But it happens that some movements of a child bring discomfort and even pain. And when the baby begins to hiccup, many doubt whether everything is in order with him. So, let’s figure out why, after all, the baby hiccups.
Most women in the second half of pregnancy (somewhere in the 3rd trimester, sometimes earlier) feel almost exactly pronounced contractions of the baby in the womb. But not only that, such reductions can last 10-20 minutes, and sometimes more, because they are also not always pleasant for mom. It happens that some women do not tolerate it well. And many mothers do not even know what happens to the baby in the womb.
Possible causes of baby hiccups
The reasons why the baby hiccups are quite controversial, because even doctors can not agree on this score. Does the baby really hiccup in mom’s stomach?
And what can this signal indicate?
- According to many gynecologists, from about the 28th week of pregnancy, the baby just begins to learn to suck and train to breathe. And in the process of such training, he swallows a little amniotic fluid. This subsequently becomes the reason why the diaphragm contracts, and the child simply hiccups. And this is nothing strange, because the baby already knows how to yawn. Hiccup is an unconditioned reflex that every newborn has, and it is laid in the mother’s womb.
- Another opinion says that hiccups are evidence of the normal development of the central nervous system of the fetus. So if the baby hiccups it even needs to be happy. This process does not cause any inconvenience to the tiniest and is completely safe for him. In addition, it is worth noting that if the child does not make such hiccup movements, or you do not feel them, this does not mean at all that something is wrong with him. It’s just that everyone has different sensitivity thresholds.
- Unfortunately, there is a very disappointing version of why such incomprehensible rhythmic contractions in the womb can occur. At the same time, many supporters of this reason are sure that hiccups are a sign of a lack of oxygen in the baby, that is, severe hypoxia. And with such intensified movements, similar to the fact that the baby hiccups, he tries to get an additional portion of oxygen and gives the SOS signal.
It is worth noting that such a diagnosis is not made only on the basis that the child makes hiccupic movements. There are many other signs of a lack of oxygen in the womb.
You also need to pay attention to the increase in the activity of the child, or a sharp decrease in it, as well as an increase in the duration of such reductions. In addition, the doctor himself must send you for an additional examination in order to understand exactly why such suspicions arise.
Prevention of hypoxia
If you want to avoid such a problem, and also want the baby in the stomach to feel good, there are some precautions:
- Spend more time outdoors (walking is the best way to fight for the health of the crumbs);
- Stop smoking (if you have not done so already) and do not breathe smoke (why should the baby suffer?);
- Refuse drugs, alcohol, and do not self-medicate (otherwise many other problems may still occur in the womb);
- Do not spend much time in poorly ventilated and stuffy rooms;
- Avoid unpleasant unrest (here it is clear why);
- Do breathing exercises (they will help to saturate the blood with oxygen, which means that the child will receive its necessary amount);
- If you have chronic diseases, then you have a risk of developing chronic hypoxia and then the reason why the baby hiccups is really not comforting. You need to visit a doctor regularly.
Most importantly, always remember that the child feels all the excitement and anxiety of the mother, so try to think about the good and tune in only for positive! The main thing is to lead a healthy lifestyle and eat well!