Treatment of arrhythmia depends on the causes of it. If they cannot be identified and eliminated, a pacemaker can help solve the problem – a small device that is implanted in the patient’s body. But a person can also counteract his illness.
What should be done in this case?
- Avoid unnecessary worries and stressful situations. Give yourself a moment of rest. Yoga or meditation will teach you how to find peace even under stress.
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine. Alcohol is one of the main causes of atrial fibrillation.
- Smoking also negatively affects the rhythm of the heart, sometimes in order for the symptoms of arrhythmia to disappear, you just need to stop smoking.
- If the arrhythmia is a consequence of the use of certain drugs, be sure to seek the advice of a physician to change the dosage or select another medication.
- Do not avoid prophylactic examinations, so as not to miss a disease that can provoke arrhythmia, for example, increased thyroid function.
- If you are the owner of a pacemaker, do not forget to regularly visit the doctor who controls the operation of the device.
Causes of arrhythmia
The arrhythmia disease in the initial stage almost does not manifest itself with any symptoms. Usually, the dormant human heart makes 60 to 80 beats per minute. Stress and exercise accelerate the heart rate, while sleeping, on the contrary, the pulse slows down.
The so-called sinus node, which sends impulses to the heart muscle, causes it to work, causing it to contract regularly. Slow heart rate is called bradycardia, acceleration – tachycardia. If the heart just beats irregularly, doctors say in this case about arrhythmias, for example, atrial fibrillation.
External causes that disrupt the normal functioning of the heart include:
- Nervous excitement, fear
- Caffeine abuse (coffee, cola, etc.)
- Alcohol abuse
- Side effects of some medications
- Infectious diseases
- Impact on the carotid artery (stroke, constriction, etc.)
Also, arrhythmia can be caused by the following organic lesions:
- Coronary heart disease
- Myocardial infarction
- Heart disease
- Disorders of electrolyte balance in the body
- Diseases of the thyroid gland.
Symptoms of arrhythmia
Arrhythmia disease usually manifests itself with symptoms such as
- The feeling of a heartbeat and irregularities in the rhythm of his work
- Loss of consciousness
- Pain in the sternum.
Sometimes the patient himself notices disturbances in the work of the heart. Sometimes it seems to him that the heart skips one or even several beats, sometimes, on the contrary, a strong heartbeat occurs, leading to shortness of breath.