Myocarditis is an inflammatory pathology, affecting perhaps the most important muscle in a person’s body – the heart.
Causes of myocardial inflammation
The attacks of aggressive pathological flora and systemic pathologies are the main causes of inflammation of the heart muscle.
The causative agent of infection can be:
- viruses – Coxsackie, influenza, adenovirus, herpes, hepatitis;
- bacteria – streptococcus, diphtheria bacillus or Bacillus Leffler, staphylococcus, etc.;
- parasites – trichinella, echinococcus;
- fungal infection – aspergillus, candida.
Heart disease myocarditis often occurs in the background:
- systemic pathologies of connective tissue;
- systemic lupus erythematosus;
Risk factors can be:
- alcohol intake;
- some medications;
- ionizing radiation, etc.
Sometimes the cause of the disease can not be established, in this case we are talking about idiopathic myocarditis.
A factor or combination of several predisposing factors trigger inflammation, autoimmune damage to cardiomyocytes, dystrophy of myocardial muscle fibers, replacement of heart muscle with connective tissue.
Myocardium, which performs the function of a pump, ceases to cope with its responsibilities. Conduct and rhythm disturbances inevitably develop, cardiac insufficiency increases, resulting in serious disability or premature death at working age.
Some facts about myocarditis
- Back in the early 19th century, physicians discovered that the myocardium, the muscle of the heart, is susceptible to inflammation that is deadly to humans.
- Quite rarely before myocarditis was able to diagnose in life, more often myocarditis was found by a pathologist.
- Modern diagnostics made a difference
- However, even today myocarditis leads to the rapid development of heart failure, arrhythmias and, as a result, to a premature death.
- On account of myocarditis up to 7% of deaths from cardiac disorders.
- And among young people, up to 20% of sudden death episodes are associated with myocarditis.
- Heart disease myocarditis is more common in the life course of a person in the time interval from 30 to 40 years.
- But there are cases when this pathology died even in early childhood.
- Pathology more “favors” the attention of the fair sex.
- At the same time, representatives of the strong half of humanity suffer myocarditis heavier than women.