Before proceeding to the implementation of the complex, it is necessary to fix the correct posture. To do this, the child must stand against the wall, so that its buttocks, shoulder blades, tibial muscles and heels touch it. Then you need to take a few steps, while maintaining the correct posture.
Next, gymnastics with scoliosis should continue to warm up. Let the child stand straight and spread his legs a little. From this position, while holding the correct posture, you need to raise your hands up and out 10 times while inhaling and stretch them, lower them down as you exhale. After that, the warm-up can be continued, walking in place, with circular movements of the shoulders, raising bent legs at the knees, etc.
After it you can proceed to the basic exercises.
- Standing on the toes, raise and link the arms into the lock, stretch out and rock the torso.
- Standing straight with legs slightly apart, at the same time one arm, bending at the elbow, lift up, and the other drop down the leg, tilting the body behind it. Exercise should be done slowly for each of the parties.
- At the same time, take one hand back and raise the other hand up. Perform changing hands.
- Raise one hand and stretch it over the head, lowering the body, while holding the other hand behind it. Perform alternately in both directions.
- Right side up against the wall, right hand to take the crossbar to stretch the right leg, and with his left hand reach up and behind the head. Position for a few seconds to fix, then change the side.
- Kneeling, stretch the right leg to the side, put the right hand on the waist, and the left one stretch over the head, tilting the body. Run five times for each side.
- Lying on the stomach, one hand pull forward, the other back, lift the body and bend in the back. Do a few times then swap hands and repeat.
- Lying on your stomach, stretch your arms forward, at the same time lift one of the legs and the body.
- Lying on your stomach and holding a stick in your outstretched hands, make back and side bends.
- Standing on all fours, at the same time stretching out the right leg and left hand, linger for 10 seconds and change sides.
- Sit down on one bent leg, pull the other one back, raise the opposite hand, stretch forward with all the forces and linger for a while. Run for the other side.
- Standing on all fours, stretch up first with one hand, then with the other.
- Standing on all fours, stretch out your arms and stretch forward.
- Being in the previous position, pull up your knees.
- A few seconds to hang on the wall of the Swedish, stretching out his arm, located on the side of the curvature, and bending the opposite.
- Crawl with arms outstretched forward.
- Crawl, alternately pulling on one hand.
- Sitting on the surface, inclined in the direction of the curvature, to have a hand, located on the side of the curvature of the head, the second place on the waist.
- Sitting, as in the previous exercise, reach out with a hand on the side of the curvature behind the head, while lowering the second one down and back slightly.
- Rest on your back.
This complex should be performed within 10-15 minutes, twice a day.
In addition to gymnastics, with scoliosis, massage is also shown, of course, it is better to entrust it to specialists. It is also necessary to take care of the good nutrition of the child . In his daily diet, there must be products containing vitamins of group B, zinc, copper and calcium. In addition, attention should be paid to the regime of the child. It should include mandatory daily walks, adequate physical activity and prolonged sleep.
Swimming shows very good results in the treatment of scoliosis in children. Also, a child can be enrolled in choreography lessons or in some kind of sports section, but only in addition to those that assume an increased load on the spine, for example, rhythmic gymnastics, tennis, etc.
Prevention of scoliosis in children
Preventing scoliosis in children is much easier than subsequently treating it, so you need to take care of the prevention of this disease.
- Make sure that the desk and chair of the workplace of the child match his physical data; how to choose them correctly was described in one of our articles.
- Get a child a good orthopedic mattress that is not very soft, but not too hard.
- Control that the child sitting does not throw back his legs or put a foot under him.
- Teach your child to engage in creativity and games at the table.
- Provide your child with nutrition that is rich in vitamins and minerals.
- Teach your child to do exercises in the morning.
- Keep your child doing breaks and getting up about every twenty minutes; during breaks, you can do simple exercises to relieve tension from your back.
- Purchase a backpack for your child and make sure that he is wearing it correctly.
- Control the child to sit properly. His back should be straight, his legs should be on the floor, the back of his head should be slightly laid back.
- Watch your child’s posture, if he constantly slouches, teach him to regularly perform exercises to improve his posture.
- Take care that your child is active or engaged in any kind of sport.
What is scoliosis?
Scoliosis otherwise can be called curvature of the spine to the right or left. As a result of such a deformation, the body becomes asymmetric, and in a very neglected state, the rib hump is formed. Depending on which part of the spine is located curvature, scoliosis is divided into lumbar, cervical and thoracic. At the same time, it can be directed to the left (left-sided scoliosis) or right side (right-sided scoliosis).
In addition, the disease is classified according to the form of curvature:
- C shaped – having one arc of curvature;
- S-shaped – having two arcs of curvature;
- Z-shaped – having three arcs of curvature.
The most difficult is the last. In addition, scoliosis can be divided into degrees of curvature . Scoliosis of 1 degree has a curvature angle of up to 10 degrees, 2 – up to 25 degrees, 3 – up to 50 degrees, 4 – more than 50 degrees.
If the disease is ignored, no action is taken, then its degree will begin to increase very quickly, which will make treatment more difficult and may also lead to other serious consequences:
- chest deformities;
- disruption of many organs;
- cosmetic defects;
- pelvic asymmetry;
- early osteochondrosis;
- aggravation of the respiratory and cardiovascular systems.
In addition, the child may experience excessive fatigue, headaches and muscle pain.
Scoliosis signs and diagnosis
Childhood scoliosis, which is in the initial stage, is not so easy to identify, since it does not bother children at all, and the curvature is almost imperceptible. However, this is still possible. To assess the condition of the child, offer him to undress, stand straight and lower his arms along the body. Then carefully examine it from all sides.
Signs of scoliosis in this position may be as follows:
- skewed shoulders when one shoulder is slightly higher than the other;
- one of the hips or shoulders above the other;
- one hand looks longer than the other;
- unequal distance between the waist and lowered hands;
- asymmetry in the location of the nipples;
- bulging angle of one shoulder blade.
Then ask the child, without bending his legs, to lean forward and freely lower his arms, then carefully examine him again. Notice how symmetrical is the height of the shoulder blades, the subhypophical folds, the iliac bones, and the shoulder girdle, whether it holds the neck evenly, whether the distances between the body and the lowered hands are the same. If you notice at least one of the above signs, be sure to contact your orthopedist or pediatrician. The doctor will assess the condition of the child, if necessary, appoint an x-ray, which will accurately determine the presence and degree of curvature.
Causes of scoliosis
Since spinal scoliosis is associated with impaired growth of the skeleton, most often it occurs during the intensive growth of children. The main reason for its development is the wrong landing at a table or a school desk.
Other causes of scoliosis include:
- Improper posture when walking and sitting. When children are “hunched”, the back muscles relax and lose their tone, they can no longer hold the spine well, so it curls.
- Carrying a heavy bag on one shoulder.
- A variety of injuries.
- Abnormalities in body position caused by certain physiological features, for example, different leg lengths, flat feet, etc.
- Poor nutrition, leading to a lack of minerals and vitamins in the body, especially the lack of B vitamins, vitamin D and calcium.
- Diseases, muscular and nervous system, rickets.
- Sedentary lifestyle.
Treatment of scoliosis in children
In childhood, spinal scoliosis is the easiest to treat, and the smaller the child, the higher the chances of completely getting rid of it. This is due to the fact that the spine, which is at an early stage of formation, is amenable to correction. Much more difficult and longer is the treatment of scoliosis in children in their teens. And after eighteen, only surgery will help to completely correct the distortion.
For the treatment of scoliosis, doctors most often use the following methods:
- wearing a special corset;
The choice of a method usually depends on the degree of scoliosis. The first degree of scoliosis is considered by most doctors to be normal and they claim that it is quickly and easily treated with the help of special exercises. In the second degree, physiotherapy, physiotherapy and massage are usually prescribed, sometimes a corset can be prescribed. In the third, special fixing corsets are used, in the fourth, surgical correction of the spine is often recommended.
The basis of the treatment of scoliosis of the first two degrees are special exercises. The main task of physical therapy is to strengthen the spinal muscles and reduce the load on the spine. Ideally, a set of necessary exercises should be selected for each child individually, taking into account the characteristics of the disease. But in mild forms of scoliosis, it is also permissible to perform simple exercises independently, which exert a small load on the spine. In this case, the probability of aggravating the situation remains minimal.
Symmetric exercises for scoliosis have a good effect. They support stronger muscles in the necessary tonus and train weaker ones. This allows you to develop the correct muscle corset and correct small curvatures. Consider the basic set of exercises that children can perform at home.