An anomalous feature of women, in which the size of the labia minora is larger than the largest, bears the name of hypertrophy of the labia minora. It is noted in 30% of the fairer half of humanity. For comparison: normal inner labia should be as covered by the labia majora and do not protrude.
Under hypertrophy understand the elongation or increase in one or both labia minora. The latter are two longitudinal folds of skin located under the labia majora. They surround the urethra and vagina, connecting at the rear of the spike. The individual characteristics of each woman determine the size, shape and pigmentation of the labia, meanwhile, all of them are characterized by a good blood supply.
Important! Normal length of the longitudinal skin folds at their lateral stretching does not exceed 2 – 4 cm and a thickness of 5 mm. If the length is over 5 cm, doctors talk about hypertrophy.
Due to the fact that the labia perform several functions – to protect the woman’s body from penetration of pathogenic bacteria and its mucous membranes from drying out, moisturizing and provide extra stimulation during intercourse, when suspected hypertrophy should immediately consult a gynecologist.
Allocates congenital and acquired hypertrophy. At risk – premature girls, as well as those who at birth had low body weight. Typically, the pathology is seen not immediately, but in the period of puberty or at the time when the girl had sexual relations.
Please note! The exact cause of the development of hypertrophy of the labia minora is not yet established. Meanwhile, scientists are convinced that the appearance of pathology is not related Masturbation or an overly active sex life. In addition, the abnormal feature is not a cause of sexual infections.
To provoke hypertrophy can age-related changes that occur in a woman’s body. Aggravate the situation:
- chronic vulvitis;
- lymphedema of the vulva (swelling);
- sudden weight loss;
- surgical intervention on the genitals;
- piercing intimate areas, especially the use of heavy earrings that pull the skin;
- mechanical stretching as the result of sexual intercourse.
Types and stages
Distinguish the hypertrophy of the heavy and light forms. Along with this, doctors operate on the concepts of elongation, hypertrophy, protrusion and asymmetry when it comes to the structure of the labia minora.
The elongation is the elongation of the folds when stretched by 5 cm or more.
Depending on the severity of characteristic features:
- the first stage – when the length of skin folds in the stretched condition is less than 2 cm;
- the second stage – when the length of skin folds is in the range of 2 – 4 cm;
- third stage – when the tensile length is 4 – 6 cm;
- the fourth stage – when the skin fold stretched to more than 6 cm.
The protrusion is diagnosed when labia are standing outside the big. In severity it is:
- first degree – when the edge of the skin fold acts on 1 – 3 cm;
- second degree – when the region opens to more than 3 cm.
Important! In medical, women need help, which is an excessive increase in the length or thickness of the labia minora. Also require correction of the condition in which there is increased wrinkling, folding. In such cases, they may have an asymmetric shape or size and cause discomfort to the woman, to provoke hypoesthesia, or decreased sensitivity during sexual intercourse.
Symptoms and complaints
Despite the fact that under the hypertrophy doctors mean abnormal condition and not a disease in women who are diagnosed, there are problems of a different nature.
Conventionally, they are divided into:
- psychological – they say if the patient appears an inferiority complex in which she feels less attractive, avoiding sex, and if they happen, cannot relax with your partner and achieve orgasm;
- aesthetic – they identify patients who can not take their body and prefer to avoid swimming pools, massage rooms, baths, beaches and other places, involving change of clothes;
- functional – they are to some physical discomfort that begins to feel the patient.
Hypertrophy woman says:
- pain during moments of intimacy;
- discomfort when practicing certain sports – horse riding, Cycling, skiing, running;
- difficulties in the implementation of personal hygiene;
- the pain during gynecological examination;
- discomfort while wearing tight underwear, pants.
Please note! Despite the serious psychological problems of women caused by hypertrophy, many men find anomalous feature unusual and interesting, so happy to take them into close relationship.
To visit a doctor in case of need, if the result of the constant friction appears sagging skin folds, changing their pigmentation. In the absence of medical help labia will only become inflamed, losing their tone, and to aggravate the situation.
Diagnosis and labiaplasty
For diagnosis the doctor enough to examine the woman on the gynecological chair. Due to the fact that can affect the size of skin folds by using conservative methods of treatment is impossible, the patient must make a decision about the need for intimate plastics. Labiaplasty, or the surgical correction of the labia, has strict indications.
If a woman decides to carry it out, she recommended:
Important! When using General anesthesia during the surgery, the patient additionally suggest an electrocardiogram.
Depending on the size of the labia and expected outcome, the surgeon may perform:
- V-shaped, or wedge resection, in which each side folds of the flaps are cut a V-shape to reduce their size while retaining the usual form;
- linear – in this case, after surgical intervention, skin folds are an unnatural linear due to violations of the folding and shape.
Both options have a significant disadvantage in a prolonged rehabilitation period. The only way out of the situation – labiaplasty laser. This is a gentle technique in which a laser beam is used that minimizes the development of bleeding and the appearance of scars. Meanwhile, it is not recommended nulliparous women.
Contraindications to labiaplasty
In the operation of the labia deny women who have been identified:
- sexual infections;
- nonspecific vaginitis;
- the unsatisfactory results of coagulation;
- mental disorders;
- inflammatory processes in the reproductive system.
Important! Labiaplasty is not performed in minors.
The consequences of labiaplasty
Each of the above procedures is a technically simple operations. After its execution, the woman is recommended to stay for a few hours under the supervision of experts, after which it was allowed to go home. After a few days of discomfort in the field of labiaplasty usually disappears.
According to statistics up to 90% of patients, who decided on a intimate plastic, be satisfied with the result. The rest are re-treatments, so as not to feel the satisfaction with appearance of genitalia, as well as continue to experience discomfort.
Possible postoperative complications:
- scars that heal slowly;
- swelling and hematoma;
- infection or inflammation;
- reduced sensitivity of the labia minora.
To protect yourself from the hypertrophy is impossible, meanwhile, to reduce the risk of its development is. To do this every six months enough to pass inspection at the gynecologist, to observe rules of personal hygiene, to abandon the genital piercing.
Hypertrophy of the labia minora is not a disease but an abnormal feature women that can occur as a result of injury, birth, or natural physiological changes. In the absence of marked discomfort in the correction she needs. Otherwise you must see a doctor and, subsequently, to weigh the “pros” and “cons” before surgery.