Vacuum is a common breathing technique in yoga. Regular exercise really has a beneficial effect on the body, though not for everyone. Before you begin to perform it, you need to make sure that you have no contraindications.
Vacuum for slimness – benefits and harms
Models and bloggers of the beauty industry polls advise a vacuum, giving the exercise all sorts of advantages. Is it really?
Who should not be vacuum
- Abdominal surgery. If you have recently had surgery on the abdominal organs or muscles, then you should abandon the vacuum for at least six months. Before starting an exercise, consult your doctor.
- Diseases of the cardiovascular system. The main contraindication to vacuum is the need to hold your breath for a sufficiently long period of time, because of which the pressure will change.
- Lung diseases. Since this is a breathing exercise, the main burden is on the lungs. It is necessary to inhale and exhale large volumes of air, which is contraindicated in lung disease.
- Diseases of the abdominal cavity. During the vacuum, the abdominal muscles are actively working, due to their tension you empty the lungs from the air. With diastasis after pregnancy, a stomach ulcer or any chronic diseases of the gastrointestinal tract in the acute stage, it is forbidden to perform the exercise.
- Critical days. During menstruation, the woman’s body experiences considerable loads, the vacuum will only strengthen them. However, for those who perform the exercise regularly and do not feel unwell on critical days, experts do not recommend taking a break.
- Pregnancy. Performing a vacuum during pregnancy can cause a miscarriage – take care of the health of the unborn baby and postpone the performance until the postpartum period.
Why vacuum is good
- The main benefit of a vacuum with regular performance is to reduce the volume of the abdominal cavity, that is, the stomach will become flat. Exercise involves the muscles of the press, especially the transverse abdominal muscle – it is located under the treasured cubes. The transverse muscles support the internal organs, respectively, controls how much they protrude the stomach. If the muscle is strong, then it looks like “armor” – the stomach is tightened, flat.
- Vacuum has a positive effect on the health of the digestive system – exercise helps to speed up the digestion of food and, therefore, overcome constipation.
- An important effect is the maintenance of skin tone. When you get used to performing standard breathing techniques, you can begin to make circular movements with your stomach, like oriental dancers. During this, both internal organs and the skin layer will be gently massaged. The metabolism in the lymphatic layer will accelerate, which means that fat will accumulate more slowly on the stomach.
How to make a vacuum
If you have never made a vacuum before, then it will be easiest to start the exercise from a basic position. Put your feet shoulder width apart, bend your torso with both hands resting on your hips. Gently inhale the air and exhale it as much as you can. Pull in the stomach – it should almost stick to the ribs. Hold it for 5-10 seconds, then relax. Repeat the same 10-15 times. Every day, increase the time you hold your breath, and the number of approaches. Gradually, when you learn the basic technique, you can perform circular movements of the abdomen and push the rectus muscles of the abdomen back and forth – these are complicated versions of the exercise.
- You can do the exercise only with an empty bladder and on an empty stomach – do not eat or drink at least 4 hours before performing. It is better to practice vacuum in the morning, before breakfast, or in the evening, before going to bed.
- Wear clothes that do not constrain your movements and allow you to breathe freely.
- The first time you learn technique, do the exercise next to the mirror, standing sideways to it. So it will be convenient for you to control yourself.
- The vacuum should not take more than 10 minutes a day, otherwise the lungs and press will be too heavy a load. In addition, an excess of oxygen can cause a headache.