Despite the possibility of a detailed study of the basic qualities of medicines, determining which drug is better depends entirely on the severity of the disease, symptoms, age, and better if the treatment is agreed with a specialist.
Respiratory and hearing diseases occur more often during changing seasons, when the immune system resists viruses and harmful bacteria worse. Usually, everything is limited to a runny nose, wet cough, sore throat and disappears in a week.
If the body is especially weakened, more serious consequences are possible: severe bactericidal rhinitis, otitis media, bronchial inflammation. In such cases, tea with lemon and honey is not enough, you must seek the help of medicines, for example, Isofra and Protargol. To understand which of them is better, you should first familiarize yourself with the description in more detail.
Key Features of Isofra
Spray for the nose, the active substance of which is framycetir sulfate, its concentration is 1.25%. It is made in France. It belongs to the group of topical antibiotics, acts bactericidal, is prescribed for rhinitis, acute sinusitis, adenoids. It inhibits the growth of the bulk of bacteria that are the source of rhinitis, damaging their membrane, and prevents their penetration further through the tissues of the respiratory system. It can be used in children with adenoids, but is contraindicated in babies up to a year.
Key Features of Protargol
The active substance is silver proteinate. It is produced as a solution of a light brown liquid, is an antiseptic drug, and is used in inflammatory processes in otolaryngology, urology, ophthalmology.
Previously, the drug was prepared exclusively in pharmacies, now there are ready-made medicines with the same content of substances, as well as kits for self-preparation of the solution. Silver ions have an astringent effect on cells affected by bacteria, preventing their reproduction, contributing to the formation and protection of healthy ones.
Applied for the treatment of diseases of otolaryngology for a long time, drugs against inflammation of the nasopharynx have some similarities:
- As a result of treatment, the consequences of nose infections are eliminated, chronic forms of the common cold cease to cause inconvenience.
- They are used in the complicated form of the disease, as part of complex therapy as prescribed by the attending physician.
- As aids, they are cold with adenoids in children.
- The average duration of treatment is one week.
- Allergic reactions to the active elements of drugs are extremely unlikely to occur with individual intolerance.
Comparison and how do they differ
Despite a similar antibacterial effect on the nasopharynx, the drugs are not analogues.
- The main difference is the pharmacological group. Isofra is an antibiotic prescribed strictly according to the prescription, protargol is an antiseptic that is available for purchase in pharmacies.
- The spray has a narrower scope – it is instilled nasally, a solution of drops can be used to rinse inflammations of various areas, instill in the ears, treat eye infections, conjunctivitis, as well as in gynecology.
- Speaking about the effects of the effect on the body, it should be remembered that antibiotics are quite aggressive, can irritate the mucous membrane with prolonged use, another drug has a sparing effect, without destroying the natural microflora of the nasopharynx, without leading to dysbiosis.
- The effectiveness of antibiotics is not in doubt, but they are rarely perceived as prophylactic agents, while protargol is suitable as a preventive measure in the fall and winter for washing the sinuses of the nose.
- Isofra should not be used for longer than 7 days, this can cause an undesirable reaction, as well as the “getting used” of bacteria to the active components of the medication, as a result – loss of treatment effectiveness. Protargol, if necessary, can be used longer.
- The shelf life of the spray is 3 years, drops to maintain properties can be stored for no more than 30 days, be sure to in a cool place.
- An antibiotic is not injected in children up to a year old, drops do not have age restrictions.
Based on the current situation, you can determine which tool to give preference to. The main indications for the use of Isofra include:
- Infectious acute rhinitis, sinusitis, accompanied by purulent discharge, in adults and children older than a year.
- Often it is prescribed to prevent the occurrence of inflammatory processes before and after surgery in the nasopharynx.
- In some forms of sinusitis, antibiotic use is also indicated.
- Adenoids in children are often an indication for prescribing, the dosage is determined by the doctor according to the age of the patient.
- The spray is more convenient to use than drops, especially if the treatment is a small child. In addition, taking a bottle with you to work will not be difficult, while Protargol needs special storage conditions.
Protargol is suitable if:
- There was an urgent need to start treatment, but there is no way to get a prescription from a doctor. The tool or its analogues with the same content of silver molecules can be purchased at almost any pharmacy.
- There is a need for longer treatment. Isofru is no longer used after a week, the Protargol composition allows the treatment to be carried out for longer, without complications, without losing effectiveness.
- There is no need and desire to expose the body to antibiotics, even as local drugs, they suppress the natural microflora of the respiratory organs, can lead to burning sensation and dysbiosis.
- You can rinse your nose from infancy, it is better to consult a doctor in advance.
- The inflammatory process occurs in the auricle, eyes, and urinary canal. Methods and doses of use are described in detail in the instructions.