It is difficult to say which of the pharmaceuticals is better and more effective. The body of each person carries drugs differently.
Both drugs powerfully affect the body and allow you to cope with ailments.
And the effectiveness of this or that remedy depends on the specific pathology that caused the disturbance of the functioning of the brain structures.
“Piracetam” should be preferred if there are metabolic disorders in the central nervous system due to stress. Also, it is better suited for elderly patients in whom damage to the brain vessels is caused by physiological aging of the body.
In terms of improving cognitive abilities and strengthening memory in young patients, Actovegin is better suited. It also copes better when it is necessary to improve the circulation of peripheral small vessels.
Patients with a history of myocardial infarction for treatment should choose “Piracetam”, it has a beneficial effect on the work and blood supply to the heart muscle. The second medication is contraindicated in this case.
There are a number of diseases when both drugs are used together. For example, it gives good results with cerebral palsy.
You can also replace one drug with another if the patient has absolute or relative contraindications to the use of one of the medicines.
Of course, only a qualified doctor should prescribe nootropic drugs . He must decide on the duration of therapy, the replacement of funds or their combination.
Self-medication with drugs that have a direct effect on the brain is fraught with dangerous consequences.
Problems associated with impaired functioning of the brain and nervous system are currently not uncommon. Constant stressful situations, poor environmental conditions, emotional and physical strain lead to irritability, depression, the development of vascular and heart diseases, mental pathologies.
In order to prevent the negative impact of various adverse factors on the human brain and nervous system, as well as for the treatment of developed pathologies, specialists in the field of pharmacology have created many different drugs.
These include well-known drugs – Actovegin and Piracetam.
“Actovegin”: description of the drug
“Actovegin” – a drug to stimulate the restoration of damaged tissues. It has a strong antioxidant effect.
A drug (PM) promotes better penetration of oxygen and glucose into brain neurons. Due to this, the energy potential and nutrition of brain cells improves.
In addition, drugs activate the processes of cellular metabolism in the body in conditions of insufficient oxygen supply to the tissues. As a result of this, the energy resource in the body increases and the tissue regeneration process accelerates.
Another pharmacological effect of this drug is to improve blood supply to the brain structures.
The active component of the medication is hemoderivative (extract) of calf blood, purified from protein by hemodialysis.
- Pills in the form of tablets.
- Ampoules with injection.
- Solution for infusion (used in hospitals).
For external use, cream, ointment and eye gel are available.
Indications and contraindications
Indications for the appointment of “Actovegin” in the form of droppers, injections and tablets are:
- Extensive burn lesions.
- Dementia syndrome
- Inadequate blood supply to the brain.
- Diabetic polyneuropathy.
- Impaired circulation of peripheral arterioles.
- Trophic ulcers.
Cream and ointment are used to treat:
- Radiation skin lesions.
- Wet ulcers with varicose veins.
- Inflammation of the dermis and mucous membranes.
- Pressure ulcers in bedridden patients.
Ophthalmic gel is used after operations on the retina, as well as in pathologies of the cornea or conjunctiva of the eye.
Contraindications for use are the following conditions:
- Allergy to components.
- Decompensated heart failure.
- Pulmonary edema.
- Elevated levels of sodium and chlorine in the blood.
For women, during pregnancy and at the stage of breastfeeding, the drug is prescribed according to the benefits and possible harm from its use.
Side effects are observed in a small number of patients and can be manifested by tachycardia, changes in blood pressure, sore throat, diarrhea, dizziness, shortness of breath, vomiting, pain in the muscles and lumbar region, fever, allergic reactions.
A solution of Actovegin for injections or droppers can cause a severe allergic reaction, up to anaphylactic shock. Therefore, before the first administration, medical staff must conduct a hypersensitivity test. This rule is provided for in the official instructions for the use of pharmaceuticals.
“Piracetam”: a description of the drug
“Piracetam” is a famous nootropic drug from a number of pyrrolidines, a neurometabolic stimulant.
It is historically the first effective nootropic. It was synthesized in Belgium over 50 years ago. In 1963, he successfully passed all clinical trials.
The main purpose of this medication is to stimulate the production of dopamine in the brain , improve the blood circulation of brain structures, and stimulate metabolic processes in them.
Also, the drug prevents the aggregation of red blood cells and platelets, reduces the risk of vascular thrombosis.
Helps to trigger oxidative processes, protects brain neurons from the harmful effects of free radicals.
Regular course medication stimulates the nerve cells to produce acetylcholine molecules, the main neurotransmitter of the central nervous system. Due to this, the overall functioning of the human body improves.
The main active ingredient of the drug is piracetam.
- Capsules (400 and 800 mg each).
- Tablets (200, 800, 400, 1200 mg each).
- Solution for injection 20%.
Of the auxiliary substances present: gelatin, dyes, sodium lauryl sulfate, titanium dioxide, etc.
Indications and contraindications
Indications for use are:
- Neurotic depression.
- Alzheimer’s disease.
- Cortical myoclonia.
- The consequences of a stroke.
- Parkinson’s disease.
- Cerebrovascular disease.
- Sluggish depression.
- Cerebral palsy.
- Chronic alcoholism
- Toxic encephalopathy.
- Primary and secondary hypertension.
- Acute alcohol or nicotine intoxication.
- Cerebral atherosclerosis.
- Decrease in mental abilities against the background of neurological pathologies.
This pharmaceutical product is widely used in pediatrics. It is effective in the treatment of speech disorders, poor learning ability, psycho-organic syndrome, impaired memorization and reproduction of information.
Contraindications to the appointment are:
- Gentinton’s chorea.
- Renal failure (in severe form).
- Cerebral hemorrhage (hemorrhagic stroke).
- Allergy to piracetam.
- Psychomotor agitation.
- Children’s age up to 1 year.
During pregnancy, an appointment is possible if the benefit to the expectant mother is higher than the possible risk to the fetus. If the medication is prescribed to a nursing woman, then for the period of treatment it is necessary to stop breastfeeding the baby.
Being a pyrrolidine nootropic, “Piracetam” practically does not cause side effects or they occur in very rare cases. Some patients may have dyspepsia, headache, sleep disturbance, nervousness, itchy skin, weight gain, and nausea.
The similarities of the considered therapeutic agents include:
- Belonging to one pharmacological group. Both drugs are nootropics (neurometabolic stimulants).
- They have the same therapeutic focus – to improve blood circulation in the brain.
- They have a similar mechanism of action and the principle of influence on brain structures.
- Both nootropics are widely used in the treatment of many neurological pathologies, starting with ischemic stroke and ending with VSD.
- They have various forms of release, convenient to use.
- There are similarities on some points of contraindications.
Both medicines are intended for course administration.
Drugs differ in the following characteristics:
- Different chemical composition. Actovegin is made on the basis of natural components of animal origin. “Piracetam” is a synthetic medicine.
- “Actovegin” is prescribed to patients without age restrictions. The second drug is not prescribed for children under 1 year old. And for elderly patients, dosage adjustment is necessary.
- Piracetam is safer in terms of anaphylactic reactions.
- ” Piracetam” is not compatible with some other medications. The second remedy can be used in combination with any other medicines.
The prices are very different. Piracetam capsules and tablets in pharmacy chains can be bought for 50-117 rubles, ampoules – 60 rubles. “Actovegin” in the form of a dragee will cost 1400-1560 rubles., In ampoules – from 600 to 1400 rubles.