Adults should choose “Arbidol”, as it is suitable for the treatment of adults and children. For the prevention of diseases, it is also worth choosing this remedy.
If the patient does not have influenza, but SARS, then he should prescribe the first remedy, since the second is effective only against influenza pathogens, and it is unlikely to help in the fight against respiratory viral diseases.
“Arbidol” is suitable for improving immunological parameters (strengthening immunity), due to its immunomodulating effect. The drug activates 2 types of immunity, promotes the synthesis of natural interferon and enhances the activity of macrophages – special cells that fight foreign organisms.
Pregnant women can only take Arbidol, but only according to the strict indications of the doctor and after an assessment of the “benefit / risk”. “Orvire” is contraindicated in pregnant and lactating women.
Children aged 1 to 2 years can be taken only by “Orvire”, since the second drug is approved for use only from 2 years.
It is also worth noting that the first drug can be used at all stages of the disease, and Orvirem is effective only in the early stages.
To summarize, it is worth noting that both medicines are equally effective. But “Arbidol” helps not only eliminate the disease, but also, thanks to a prolonged action, strengthen the immune system. “Orvirem” is used only for the treatment of children and helps to cure the flu, but it does not affect the immune system.
It must be remembered that before using any medication, it is necessary to consult a doctor. This is especially true for the treatment of children. Self-medication can lead to complications and side effects.
In the period of epidemics of influenza and SARS, it is very easy to get infected with viruses. Therefore, for the prevention and treatment, it is worth using special antiviral medications that help you get on your feet faster. Which of the two popular remedies is more effective and which is better to use for treatment?
A drug with antiviral and immunomodulatory effects. Promotes the production of interferon, enhances the activity of macrophages, stimulates humoral and cellular immunity.
It destroys influenza viruses of type A and B. The antiviral effect is due to the ability of the drug to prevent the fusion of the envelope of the virus with cell membranes when the viral body contacts the cell.
Strengthens the immune system, prevents the development of complications, contributes to a quick recovery. With flu, it reduces intoxication and inflammation of the mucous membranes of the throat and nose.
It is available in the form of tablets, capsules, powder for suspension for oral administration. The active substance is umifenovir.
Indications for use:
- Treatment and prevention of influenza and SARS.
- Chronic bronchitis, pneumonia, recurrent herpetic infection (as part of complex therapy).
- Acute intestinal infections of rotavirus etiology (as part of complex therapy).
- Prevention of postoperative infectious complications.
- Reduced immunity.
The drug can not be used with hypersensitivity to the components and at the age of less than 2 years.
It is made in Russia. It is released without a prescription.
An antiviral drug designed to treat children. Available in the form of syrup. The active substance is rimantadine – a derivative of adamantane.
Rimantadine is effective against various types of influenza A virus, especially A2. The active substance blocks the fusion of the envelope of the virus with the cell membrane, thereby preventing the transmission of the genetic material of the virus into the cytoplasm of a human cell.
Indications for use:
- Early treatment and prevention of influenza A in children.
- Prevention of flu in people in close contact with the infected.
- Prevention of influenza during epidemics.
- Hypersensitivity to the components (especially rimantadine).
- Acute liver disease.
- Acute and chronic kidney pathologies.
- Pregnancy and lactation.
- Age less than 1 year.
Use with caution in epilepsy and severe mental illness. It is made in Russia. Released by prescription.
To understand which of the medicines is better, you need to compare them:
- Both agents have antiviral properties and have a similar mechanism of action – they prevent the fusion of the viral membrane with the cytoplasm of a human cell, thereby protecting the body from the penetration of the virus. “Arbidol” additionally has an immunomodulatory property and promotes the production of interferon.
- The active substance of the first remedy is umifenovir. The drug is available in the form of tablets, capsules and suspensions for the preparation of an oral solution. The second contains rimantadine and is in the form of a sweet syrup release.
- “Arbidol” is intended for the treatment of adults and children over 2 years old. “Orvirem” is prescribed for children over 1 year old; for adults, it is almost never assigned.
- Medicines have similar indications for use – treatment and prevention of influenza and SARS. “Arbidol” is also used to treat inflammatory, infectious and viral diseases of the lungs, rotavirus infections, and prevention of postoperative complications. It is also prescribed to improve immunological indications.
- If we compare the contraindications, then the second remedy has much more than the first. “Orvirem” is contraindicated in diseases of the liver and kidneys, thyrethoxemia, during pregnancy and lactation.
- Both drugs are produced in Russia, but by different pharmacological companies. Pharmstandard is engaged in the production of the first product, and Orvirem is created by Oliphem Corporation.
- “Arbidol” can be freely bought at the pharmacy, as it has an over-the-counter form of dispensing. The second medicine is dispensed only by prescription.