The considered drugs belong to one pharmacological group of adsorbing agents . They are used for food poisoning, intoxication with heavy metals, alcohol, and are used in harmful enterprises. They are of organic origin and are based on wood raw materials. Both products are manufactured in Russia and have a tablet form of release. It is recommended to grind them before use for a better effect. They are released without a doctor’s prescription, as they are safe.
Despite the fact that both drugs have similar indications, contraindications and a general scope, there are certain differences between them.
Among them are the following:
- Composition . The active substance of the first drug is hydrolysis of wood. The active component of Activated Carbon is the substance of the same name, obtained from carbon-containing materials.
- Efficiency . Filtrum has a greater sorption ability.
- Packing . The first tool is available in blisters, protected from moisture. Activated carbon has paper packaging.
- Price . The cost of Filtrum is several times higher – about 250 rubles per pack of 50 tablets. Activated carbon will cost only 40 rubles.
In the event that improvement does not occur and intoxication symptoms persist for several days, you should immediately contact a medical institution. If you neglect this, you can cause significant harm to your body.
It often happens that after accidentally eating stale foods or for other reasons, a person gets poisoned. It is accompanied by unpleasant symptoms that need to be addressed. For these purposes, drugs belonging to the group of sorbents are used. Popular are Filtrum and Activated Carbon.
It is an enterosorbent of natural origin . It has a high absorbing effect, eliminates intoxication. After penetrating the gastrointestinal tract, it begins to bind and remove toxins, pathogenic bacteria, elements of heavy metals, ethyl alcohol, as well as food allergens. In addition, it helps to eliminate the overabundance of certain metabolic products, including cholesterol, bilirubin, urea. Available in tablet form.
The main indications for use are:
- Acute poisoning with medicines, ethyl alcohol and other substances.
- Complex therapy in the treatment of acute intestinal infections caused by the use of toxic products, including dysentery.
- Violation of the normal activity of the stomach with concomitant painful digestion.
- Purulent-inflammatory diseases, accompanied by severe intoxication.
- Hepatic and renal failure, including increased concentrations of bilirubin, urea, creatinine.
- Food, drug allergy.
- Preventive therapy of chronic poisoning among employees of hazardous industries.
- Acute stage of stomach ulcer and duodenal ulcer.
- Decreased contractility of the intestinal muscles.
- Individual intolerance to the components of the composition.
It is recommended to take it after preliminary grinding one hour before eating, drinking plenty of water. The dosage depends on the degree of poisoning, the age of the patient, his weight. The course of treatment lasts up to 5 days , with chronic or allergic intoxications – up to 20 days .
Among the side effects, allergic reactions, constipation can be detected. With prolonged use, a decrease in the absorption of vitamins, calcium may begin.
It is an absorbent drug . It has a large surface activity, has a high sorption effect. It reduces the absorption of heavy metals, toxic components, alkaloids, contributes to their excretion from the body. In addition, it provides adsorption purification of gases on its surface. Available in the form of black tablets.
Indications for use are:
- Discomfort in the stomach, accompanied by a feeling of heaviness, pain, bloating, increased gas formation.
- Intoxication with an infectious disease with a primary lesion of the colon.
- Salmonella-induced acute intestinal infection characterized by the development of poisoning and damage to the gastrointestinal tract.
- Food poisoning caused by the use of products with harmful microorganisms.
- The increased acidity of the stomach.
- Poisoning by harmful chemicals, drugs.
- Preparation for x-ray and endoscopic examination in order to reduce gas formation.
Contraindications include exacerbation of a stomach and duodenal ulcer, bleeding from the organs of the gastrointestinal tract.
Among the side effects, stool problems can occur, characterized by constipation or diarrhea. With prolonged use, the development of hypovitaminosis, impaired absorption of beneficial substances is possible.
It should be noted that with the simultaneous use of coal and other drugs, a decrease in their effectiveness is possible.