One and the other belong to the same pharmacological group. Aimed at treating breast cancer. They have a number of contraindications and cause adverse reactions. Not used in the treatment of pregnant, lactating, children.
Different countries are manufacturers, the cost of drugs depends on this. A completely different main active ingredient. Therefore, the focus of treatment is slightly different.
Tamoxifen is considered a stronger drug and has a wider therapeutic effect. Patients can be young women, men. The drug helps with metastases in the lymph nodes and other organs.
Anastrozole patients become postmenopausal women and in the early stages of cancer. Premenopausal patients are not prescribed.
Every eighth woman is diagnosed with breast cancer. One case in a hundred when the disease affects men. With timely diagnosis, complex treatment, breast cancer is treatable.
Among therapeutic agents, hormone antagonists are used: Tamoxifen and Anastrozole. Patients are interested in which one is better and whether it is possible to replace one with another.
The drug originates in India / Cyprus. The form of production is round, flat tablets with a bevel. Do not have a shell. Color varies from white to yellow. In a blister pack of 10 tablets.
The active substance of the drug is tamoxifen. Tablets differ in the content of this substance: 40 mg, 30 mg, 20 mg, 10 mg. It is supplemented with lactose, potato starch.
The drug refers to non-steroid. It has an antiestrogenic effect. Slows the progression of tumor formations.
Absorption of the drug occurs at the level of the gastrointestinal tract. Distributed within 4-7 hours. The therapeutic result is achieved after 4-6 weeks. Metabolism is carried out by the liver. It is excreted in the bile, urine.
Joint use with estrogenic steroids, which are part of hormonal drugs, reduces the effectiveness of both. The effect of coumarin anticoagulants is enhanced by the parallel use with Tamoxifen.
The combination with cytotoxic substances causes thromboembolic reactions. Bromocriptine increases the concentration of tamoxifen in the blood.
The drug product causes a lot of adverse reactions:
- Endocrine system: hot flashes, violation of the MC, vaginal itching, discharge, bleeding, changes in the endometrium, the formation of polyps. Proliferative changes provoke the occurrence of endometriosis, endometrial cancer (rarely). Termination of menstruation, cystic swelling of the ovaries (premenopause). Impotence, libido (men).
- Hematopoietic system: thrombocytopenia / leukopenia (possible). Pancytopenia / neutropenia (rare).
- Organs of vision: retinopathy, decreased visual acuity, blurred transparent outer shell of the eye. Danger of developing cataracts / retinopathy.
- Gastrointestinal tract and digestion: nausea (possibly), vomiting, anorexia (rarely), impaired stool, sense of taste, liver infiltration (fatty), hepatitis, pancreatitis, cholestasis.
- Skin: an increase in the intensity of hair growth, rashes.
- Vascular system: the formation of thrombosis, pulmonary embolism (rarely).
There are no cases of drug overdose.
The drug originates in the Republic of Moldova. The form of production is square, flat, with round-edged tablets. There is a notch and engraving “BP” and “1”. Color is yellow with a marble shade. Blister for 20 tablets. Packing with 3 blisters. There are other manufacturers of the drug.
The active substance of the drug is anastrozole. Each tablet contains 1 mg of the substance. Among the auxiliary ones are lactose, dye yellow and other chemical products.
Anastrozole belongs to the group of hormone antagonists, enzyme inhibitors. It has a powerful, highly selective non-steroidal inhibition of aromatase. The therapeutic effect is achieved by lowering estradiol levels in patients diagnosed with breast cancer.
The drug is absorbed quickly, for 2 hours, provided that the medicine is taken on an empty stomach. It is excreted for 50 hours with urine.
Do not prescribe together with Tamoxifen, since it weakens the therapeutic effect of Anastrozole. Not compatible with estrogen.
During treatment, there is a possibility of side effects:
- Reproductive system: dryness in the vagina.
- Gastrointestinal tract: diarrhea, nausea.
- CCC: hot flashes (often).
- CNS: asthenia, headache, drowsiness (rarely).
- ODE: carpal tunnel syndrome, arthralgia. The risk of osteoporosis, brittle bones.
- Integuments: fragility, thinning of hair, rashes.
Cases of overdose are limited.
For whom and in what situation is each of them suitable
Tamoxifen is indicated in a complex treatment to enhance the immune response in patients with breast cancer that has affected the lymph nodes. It is indicated for breast cancer with metastases (men, women).
Not suitable for patients with individual intolerance, thrombocytopenia, hypercalcemia, leukopenia (severe). Do not prescribe during lactation, during pregnancy.
Under the supervision of a doctor, the drug is prescribed to patients with:
- Renal failure.
- Diabetes mellitus.
- Thromboembolic disorders.
- Pathologies in ophthalmology.
Women with persistent menopause need to choose non-oral contraceptives, since the latter are ineffective when used together with Tamoxifen.
During therapy with the drug, it is necessary to control the content of calcium and platelets in the blood.
Anastrozole is prescribed for advanced breast cancer (postmenopause). The exception is estrogen-negative cancer. It is indicated for invasive estrogen-positive breast cancer (early stage) at the time of postmenopause.
Not prescribed for premenopausal women, pregnant, lactating. Not indicated in the presence of renal, liver failure (severe form), hypersensitivity to substances in the composition, children.
The drug lowers estrogen levels, because of this, the bone mineral density decreases. A woman with a history of osteoporosis should pay attention to this. Drugs are not intended for self-medication.