The causes of constipation in infants may be different, but more often a sudden change in the mixture or the diet of the mother affects the change in stool. The infestation delay in infants can lead to the consumption of certain drugs or “fixing products” in the nursing mother’s food. For example, baked goods, nuts, bananas, cheese, rice, black tea, coffee, cocoa and whole milk.
The following reasons may cause constipation:
- early introduction of complementary foods;
- monotonous food;
- low motor activity;
- lack of food;
- problems with intestinal microflora;
- some diseases, for example, hypothyroidism or rickets.
How to help the baby with constipation
Self-treatment of constipation in newborns is not recommended, especially if it is systematic.
With frequent delays of feces, you should consult a doctor to rule out the presence of serious diseases and determine the cause of constipation.
If the problem is one-time and the baby needs urgent help, you can use one of the following tools:
- Massage. Stroking the hand clockwise to the tummy of the baby will improve digestion and reduce discomfort.
- Candles for constipation. Preparations are the best means of emergency care for constipation, but babies are advised to put only glycerin suppositories, as they are safe.
- Enemas. Little kids better to do oil enemas, and only when absolutely necessary.
- Laxative drugs. It is better not to get involved in laxatives, as they do not solve the problem, but only eliminate it for a while. They lead to the loss of potassium and protein and suppress the emptying reflex. Use caution when choosing laxatives, do not use medicines intended for adults or traditional medicine. One of the safest drugs that can be given to newborns is considered to be Duphalac syrup.
Do not disregard constipation, because besides the fact that stool delays bring suffering to the baby, they can lead to intestinal dysbiosis, diathesis, intoxication and the formation of cracks in the rectal mucosa.
Since the little babies who have recently come into the world have not yet formed the digestive system, they are concerned about the problems associated with it. This may be increased flatulence, leading to bloating and colic, regurgitation, hiccups, diarrhea or constipation.
Constipation in infants is a frequent occurrence in each infant. He gives the kids a lot of suffering. Parents strive to help the crumbs as quickly as possible and take not entirely correct and deliberate actions. It is necessary to make sure that the newborn really has constipation and understand what causes it and only then take action.
Symptoms of constipation in newborns
A baby under the age of 1 month can empty the intestines every time after meals – this is considered normal. Further, the number of bowel movements is reduced to 2-4 times a day and closer to the year, the number of daily stool is 1-2. It is important not only the number, but also the color, smell, texture, ease of release of fecal masses and the health of the crumbs.
Before the introduction of complementary feeding, the baby’s stool should normally have a yellow color, a milky smell and a homogeneous, mushy consistency, free from impurities, blood and mucus. If the defecation does not occur for more than 1.5-2 days, the feces have a dense consistency, they come out with difficulty, and the baby worries, does not sleep well, cries or refuses the breast, which means that he is suffering from constipation.