In medical practice, in most cases, common stage front dry rhinitis. Atrophic rhinitis develops very rarely, but it leads to difficult reversible consequences, because it is not necessary to bring the disease to this state.
Dry and cold
- Front-rhinitis – occurs when the affected only the anterior nasal cavity. Often develops if there was mechanical damage cavity or prolonged inhalation of chemicals.
- Atrophic rhinitis is a chronic form of the disease in which the mucous membrane is reduced or completely atrophied.
The basic reason of development of this rhinitis is the inflammation of the nasal membranes. There are a number of factors causing this process.
- the lack of iron or calcium;
- a lack of vitamin D;
- frequent respiratory infections;
- abrupt climate change;
- hormonal spurts (puberty, pregnancy, hormone treatments);
- work associated with the use of aggressive chemicals;
- mechanical injuries of the nose;
- the operation of the nasopharynx;
- excessive use of vasoconstrictor drugs.
Dry rhinitis is often diagnosed several family members – it says about the external provocateur of the disease (on a trip to another country, unbalanced nutrition, adverse living conditions).
With front-rhinitis blood flow in the nasopharynx is violated as a consequence, the mucosa cells receive less oxygen and nutrients, which leads to the death of a specific type – the goblet cells responsible for mucus. As a result, the secret is not generated, and the shell becomes thinner. It becomes dry and not elastic, sensitive to pressure differences – so it’s reasonable to say that this type of rhinitis often occur in people who are susceptible to nasal bleeding.
Symptoms of dry rhinitis
When dry, the cold progresses, after atrophy of the mucosa, there is a change in the structure of nerve fibers, as a consequence – deteriorating sense of smell. After this process is exacerbated by the restructuring of the nose: the extend, the structure of the cartilage changes. For visual analysis of the appearance of these changes is poorly visible, but the ENT will install them correctly.
Also the symptoms of dry rhinitis include:
- constant dryness in the nose; burning sensation in the nasopharynx;
- nasal congestion;
- thick, highly viscous mucus creates a feeling of a foreign body in the nasal passages;
- the formation of the crusts of dark green;
- often bleeding;
Prolonged period of dry rhinitis symptoms may worsen, in addition to suffer deterioration of smell and taste buds.
If you ignore the disease symptoms extends. At first mucus, thick, even may be output from the nasal passages anyway, but it felt incomplete cleansing of the nose and there is a strong desire to blow my nose. Do not get it – at applying serious effort on the napkin appear blood spots, but no mucus. In the end, may fully open the bleeding.
In children under the age of 3 years has its own peculiarities of the disease. Specific clinical pattern due to the not fully formed respiratory system. Such rhinitis causes the child’s lack of appetite, irritability, poor sleep, and sometimes can lead to asthma attacks.
How to treat dry rhinitis?
Treatment this disease has two major purposes:
- To get rid of the root cause of the disease – chronic infections, frequent contact with irritants, hormonal drugs (or their replacement by alternative, with different formulations of hormones);
- Stop atrophic processes – it is necessary to humidify the mucous surface, since it is the lack of mucus causes increased dryness and subsequent changes in the structure of the nasal passages.
As a preventive measure, the humidification is one of the most active (a measure of humidity was not less than 60%), in addition, it is recommended to avoid stress and fatigue.
The choice of pharmaceutical drugs provides ENT after a personal examination of the patient – treatment depends on the extent of lesions of mucous membranes, and the type of rhinitis.
To relieve inflammation used:
- when a bacterial infection – sprays-antiseptic (“Bioparox”, “Izofra”), antibiotics, local (“Sinuforte”, “Polideksa) or common actions (“Ceftriaxone”, “Augmentin”, “Examp”);
- medications are oil-based, which not only reduce inflammation but also prevent drying of the mucosa (“Pinosol”, pencil-inhaler “Dr. mom”). In addition to the main active substances they contain esters of conifers and mint;
- antibacterial drug with microparticles of silver “Protargol”;
- if there are severe swelling and itching – antihistamines (“Suprastin”, “Lorane”, “Ceresin”);
- with the steady inflammation – corticosteroids (“Amavis”, “Polideksa”, “Alladin”). They are effective, but prolonged use can cause addiction.
Important! In this disease is strictly prohibited the use of vasoconstrictor drops, they are harmful for thinning mucous surface, increase the fragility of blood vessels and give rise to a burning sensation.
In atrophic rhinitis dry treatment scheme includes:
- sprays based on seawater (“salt”, “saline”, “Marimer”) for irrigation of the mucosa to maintain its level of moisture by artificial means as long as the normalized natural regulation;
- lanolin ointment, Naftalan, vaseline – smeared nasal passages to lock moisture in the mucosa;
- lavage with an alkaline solution (1 Cup of saline 1 teaspoon of baking soda) facilitates the discharge dry nozzles.
- gel “Solkoseril” – to accelerate the process of tissue regeneration.
Also in this type of rhinitis the mucosa to ensure additional moisture is useful inhalation with the use of saline, alkaline mineral water or soda solution.
They can be used alongside traditional treatment or as an alternative to them, if recipe ingredients are not allergic.
The most simple remedy – olive, menthol or sea buckthorn oil: they lubricate the nasal surface, as it is effectively remove water. But the dry heat in this cold will not be useful – in this case it is important to moisturize, and not just to warm up.
There are more time-consuming recipes that will help with the appearance of dry rhinitis.
Recipe of nettle, chamomile and calendula
- a mixture of dried herbs – 1 tbsp;
- hot water – 1 Cup.
Pour boiling water over herbs, cover the container lid and insist in a warm place for 2 hours. At the expiration of this time the liquid drain. Apply by pipette to place 5 drops in each nostril 4 times a day.
The recipe of aloe and honey
- fresh aloe juice – 1 tbsp;
- liquid honey – 1 tbsp
With freshly picked aloe leaf and squeeze the juice, mix with honey in the ratio 1:1 until smooth. To apply a little volume of the mixture of the nasal passage 2 times a day.
Recipe tincture of propolis and Shea butter
- propolis tincture – 0.5 tsp.
- rosehip oil – 4 tsp
Mix ingredients, bring to a homogeneous condition. Then moisten a cotton turundy them and enter them into the nasal cavity to lubricate 2 times a day.
How to treat dry nose in children – treatment
A runny nose for children particularly dangerous, and treated it more difficult than adults. Especially if we are talking about very young patients with immature immune and respiratory systems. Priority is necessary to put the diagnosis the doctor – perhaps the child is quite a different disease.
Children first conducted a survey to determine the presence of infectious and inflammatory diseases. Also is anti-allergic therapy to relieve swelling and ease the breathing (“Glycine”, “Vibrocil”, “Sanorin-analergin”). Saline solutions are used to facilitate breathing (“Phrase”, “Akvamaris, “saline”).
In the appointment of pharmaceutical drugs, the doctor must consider the child’s age – many of them have clear age restrictions. If after 5 days of treatment there is no improvement you must consult a doctor repeatedly to adjust appointments.
How dangerous dry rhinitis – complications
It may occur without a pronounced swelling: in addition to the dry mucosa and periodic hard scabs nothing will not disturb. But this disease is dangerous for its complications. In the first place is the muted smell, and then taste sensations.
In addition, due to the drying out of the mucosa, it becomes susceptible to harmful bacteria because of the background of the common cold can develop numerous viral or bacterial infection.
And last: if dry type of rhinitis is not treated, over time, the acute form will go into a chronic (atrophic), which results in an almost complete loss of smell, nasal cartilage collapse and, accordingly, the deformation of the structure of the nose. The situation can be corrected only surgically, but not always.