Sensations that are characteristic of a panic attack, probably familiar to everyone. Many people have been lucky and only once having experienced this state, don’t remember about it. But there is a category of people who have regular panic attacks, and every subsequent time, the feelings become more pronounced and frightening.
When a panic attack suddenly there is a feeling that “the ground was slipping from under his feet”, and shortly before this condition most of the people happened powerful a stressful situation.
To provoke the considered as maybe the fascination with alcohol/drugs, and abortion, and early sexual activity, and painful divorce, and the death of a loved one – any factors that negatively affect the psycho-emotional background.
Know about panic attacks you need to everyone, because it will help not only in itself prevent an attack, but to help a friend, if the state is already under attack.
Risk groups for panic attack
In medicine it is accepted to allocate two groups of people who are affected by this condition.
Risk group 1
Are people young or middle age, in the eyes of others look pretty good. They are reliable, brave, able to overcome any obstacles in life, make a resounding career, never show his true emotions in people and have a keen sense of responsibility.
Perhaps these qualities seem just perfect, but the problem still there. The fact that such “daring/reliable/responsible” accumulate experience moments of stress at the inside, the body gets tired and his strain “relieve” anxiety attack.
Risk group 2
Are people who live in “hothouse” conditions, and in fact they contradict the essence of ordinary life when you need to constantly evolve, move forward and even fight for their “place under the sun.” The result of such a life becomes an internal conflict – man cannot be fully realized and the body is protesting it a panic attack.
How to cope with panic attack on their own
Doctors give clear advice, which is to listen to those people for whom panic attacks are familiar.
They will help to cope with the next attack:
- You need to think about the fact that even such an unpleasant and frightening as the feeling is not hazardous to health, and the attack will be over soon. If attacks are regular, then stands on a piece of paper to write something soothing – for example, “This state will soon disappear, I will cope with fears and panic, with me nothing bad will happen.” This note advisable to carry and at the first sign of anxiety attack just a few times quietly and slowly read the text.
- You need to try to control my own breathing. Feeling short of breath, rapid breathing is just a reaction to fear. And it is rapid breathing leads to increased levels of carbon dioxide in the blood, which provokes the development of all other sensations, typical for this condition. So, what you need to do:
- breathe as deeply and smoothly;
- the breath is done at the expense of 1, 2;
- you should then hold your breath for two seconds.
- made sure the exhale is longer than inhale and the result should be 1, 2, 3.
- Try to escape from unpleasant feelings on something real. You can count the buttons on the clothes of others, to remember the birthdays of relatives and friends (date), read the name of the store opposite. In General, any real action will probably distract a person from their own state, and during this time the body will return to normal.
- Work with the muscles – they need to alternately relax and stretch. You should start with the calf muscles, gradually “moving” up the body. Should know one feature: relaxation/stress muscle definitely need to combine with breathing: on the inhale – tension, exhale – relax.
- Talk. If there is someone of your friends or relatives, then just start a conversation on any topic, if you are in an unfamiliar place, call someone on the phone or ask a stranger any trivial (e.g. how to get to the bus stop). This concentration on another task will allow you to escape, will relieve the symptoms of considered States.
- For yourself, create maximum physical comfort. If the tide is coming in heat, then wash with cold water or take a cool shower if you are feeling cold in the extremities, wear warm socks, take a hot bath or drink a Cup of hot tea.
- Try to control your thoughts. Identify the cause of the attack and change the situation – turn on the TV, step out of the room, away from other people.
- Get back to business. They can be quite ordinary – start the cleaning in the apartment/house, clean shoes and so on. First, these classes are unlikely to distract from the panic attacks, but do not throw started – immersed in the case, the body will return to normal.
- Stand before a mirror and smile. First, the smile will remind terrible grin, but as the repetition of movements, the muscles will begin to work better and the mood will surely rise. You can even just stick you in front of the mirror – work of the muscles of the face will distract from the unpleasant sensations characteristic of anxiety attack.
If panic attack occur regularly, you should think about correction mode of life, food. Doctors recommend more fresh air, to include in your diet lean meats, oily fish, vegetables and fruit. A very positive impact on health and exclusion from the life of alcohol, you can prevent panic attacks and are considered of relaxation techniques that help relieve stress.
Help a loved one panic attack
Being next to a person who has a panic attack, and you need to make some effort to help him cope with the problem.
What you need to do:
- To stand in front of a man, take him by the hand and quietly, smoothly, without raising her voice to him, saying, “I’m here, the condition is not dangerous, is now over.” Not to let the man up until the anxiety attack will not end.
- Ask him to adjust the breath. Let the person breathe deeply and calmly, you can do it with it on your account – breath “one, two”/exhale “one, two, three.”
- Let the person in a panic attack talk. You can’t interrupt it, divert to another location or just leave alone. It is highly desirable to maintain the calmness and confidence.
Please note: if a loved one had a panic attack, that in no event it is impossible to worry, worry and nervous – it is possible to strengthen the attack, to aggravate the patient’s condition. After the panic attack is over, it is advisable to talk to patients and explain the need of seeking qualified medical help.
Usually, a panic attack is a “complex” biological and psychological factors. Therefore, this problem will need to apply first to the therapist and he will give direction to the survey from more narrow specialists – neurologist, psychotherapist, cardiologist. Only by using special techniques you can get really effective treatment. Unfortunately, self-treatment fails.