The musculoskeletal system without physical activity begins to “senile”, because of which the muscles and ligaments lose their functionality, or even begin to atrophy. Also, tearing of the ligaments most often happens in old age, since during this period the ligaments become weak, and the muscles lose their elasticity.
Because of this, sudden movements can provoke an ankle ligament rupture.
Excessive efforts during sports can lead to rupture of ligaments. Also, their tear can provoke small insufficient walks in the fresh air.
Rupture of ankle ligaments occurs most often due to excessive loads on this joint. In order for the ankle joint to perform its function properly, it is surrounded by a large number of muscles, tendons and ligaments that protect it from damage. Very often, due to injuries, the ligaments of the ankle joint break. Let’s take a closer look at the symptoms of such an injury and how patients are treated in this case.
Symptoms of ankle ligament rupture
Symptoms of ligament rupture depend on the severity of the injury.
The degree of rupture of the ligaments of the ankle joint and their symptoms:
- With a mild degree of injury, the ligaments get a slight stretch and the ankle fibers are slightly torn. Microtrauma and microfracture of soft tissues with tendons can be observed. The skin during such an injury swells, becomes swollen and red. A person suffers from aching pains, especially while walking or performing any movements;
- During the second degree of the injury, the tendon tear is such that the patient hardly moves independently. The bruise site is very painful, the joint swells, turns red, and a swelling is observed at the site of the rupture;
- During the third degree of the injury, the doctor states that the ligaments and tendons are completely torn. The patient cannot move independently. From the ankle to the foot, the joint swells, sometimes a hematoma or bruising appears.
In any case, having seen the above-described symptoms of ligament rupture, it is important that the person is rushed to the hospital in order to provide timely assistance and to keep him able to walk independently in the future.
Diagnosis of ankle ligament rupture
Diagnosing an ankle ligament rupture is possible thanks to the following methods:
- Radiography is performed. The picture will show a joint fracture or ankle displacement. This type of diagnosis is the most effective and truthful, if performed correctly;
- To determine the state in which muscle tissue, ligaments and tendons of the joint resort to magnetic resonance imaging. This type of diagnosis will accurately indicate the degree of joint injury.
We treat damage to the ligaments of the ankle joint
If, upon examination of the ligaments, they are slightly damaged, the patient’s doctor releases them home. The following treatment is prescribed: compliance with the gentle regime, the injured limb is fixed with a special dressing. The first few days, it is recommended to apply ice to damaged areas. On the third – fourth day after receiving an injury – the joint must be warmed. Ligament tear is not a disease in which a full bed rest is laid. On the contrary, it is recommended to move as usual, it is only important to securely fix the damaged joint and not completely rely on it.
If you follow all the doctor’s prescriptions, the treatment of the fibers will occur quickly, and after two weeks the patient will be able to move normally, provided that the joint does not strain much at first.
Tendon rupture must be carefully treated. To ensure a rigid fixation, a plaster cast is applied. Physiotherapy procedures are resorted to three days after the injury. Treatment lasts at least three weeks.
If the rupture of the ligaments of the ankle joint has occurred completely, the patient will be hospitalized in the hospital. The patient feels the following symptoms – severe pain, swelling of the joint, sometimes the body temperature rises. To relieve severe pain, the doctor is forced to give an anesthetic injection. A puncture is often performed locally to remove blood and inject novocaine into the joint. For almost a month, a plaster cast is applied to the damaged joint.
Inpatient treatment is carried out with medications and physiotherapy. It is useful to wiggle the fingers of the affected leg to accelerate the fusion of ligaments and provide them with food. When the plaster is removed, it is advisable to send the patient to the sanatorium for a couple of months to conduct rehabilitation measures.
Methods for treating ankle tendon rupture
Treatment of ligament ruptures in the ankle joint is carried out using such methods:
- Cryotherapy. Cold compresses or packets of frozen water are applied to the tendon rupture site. Cold constricts blood vessels, which reduces blood circulation, edema decreases and pain disappears. This method is most useful within a few hours after receiving an injury;
- Treatment with compressive bandages and elastic bandages stabilizes the position of the joint and reduces swelling of the tissues. Dressings and bandages are used during heavy physical exertion;
- To reduce swelling and pain in the damaged joint, it is recommended to raise the leg above the level of the heart;
- Tendon rupture is also treated with non-steroidal inflammatory drugs, for example, ketorolac, ibuprofen, nimesulide. The listed drugs are used in the form of ointments, creams or tablets;
- Symptoms such as swelling and severe pain are treated with injections. Lidocaine, hydrocortisone, or novocaine are injected into the area of the painful joint;
- For the development of the ankle joint after plaster or dressings, physiotherapy exercises are prescribed. When compiling a set of therapeutic exercises, the doctor must take into account the type of tendon rupture, its severity and the general condition of the damaged joint. In order to restore damaged ligaments as quickly as possible, it is recommended to systematically perform all the prescribed exercises;
- To accelerate the recovery processes in the tissues on the third day after the injury, it is allowed to apply heat to the joint. It is useful to make warming compresses and apply warming ointments;
- If the ligaments are completely broken, the doctor will be forced to undergo an operation during which the damaged ligaments are sutured;
- With physiotherapy, treatment is carried out using paraffin baths, UHF therapy, and diadynamic current. Thanks to such procedures, tissues recover faster;
- To reduce pain in the joint, resort to manual therapy and massage. If the massage is performed efficiently, the damaged ligaments are restored much faster.
Reconstructive actions of rupture of ankle ligaments
To help the body restore damaged ligaments faster, it is important to follow a special diet, which is the use of protein products. For example, meat of any animal, canned meat, milk, dairy products, fish, fish oil, eggs and other protein dishes. Protein helps restore damaged bone tissue.
Recovery from injury treatment occurs within two weeks. In some cases, given the severity of the gap, the doctor may prescribe a longer period of treatment and recovery.
The consequences of an ankle ligament rupture
If injured, it is important to immediately contact a doctor in order to take all necessary measures in a timely manner. It is also important to strictly follow all the advice and recommendations of a doctor. After treatment, it is important to wear a tight bandage for some time, which will prevent repeated stretching or tearing of the ligaments. In addition, the bandages will help to recover faster after an injury and resume the normal functioning of the joint.
If you do not follow all the doctor’s prescriptions, it is likely that the ligaments will not grow together correctly, which can lead to the development of ankle arthritis. In addition, while walking with improper tendon fusion, a person may feel pain and discomfort. A serious case that cannot be treated in any way can lead to disability and the onset of disability.
From the above, it can be concluded that it is important to take seriously a joint injury and not neglect treatment. Thanks to all the medical procedures, you have a chance to recover as soon as possible after an injury and return to your previous lifestyle.
Now you know what an ankle ligament rupture is, what its symptoms are, why it can happen and how it can be treated. Take care of your health, and for the first time after recovery, do not overload the joints with physical activity to prevent repeated rupture of ligaments or tendons. At first, do not go for long distances. A little later, on the contrary, long walks will only benefit.