Osteoarthritis is a degenerative disease of the joints. Among the main risk factors that lead to its development, and is overweight. So don’t underestimate diet as a method of treatment and prevention of this disease.
After fully escape the effects of osteoarthritis is impossible, can only slow down its development. Overweight makes greater demands on the leg joints, especially the knee and hip.
Diet for osteoarthritis should be directed at reducing body weight and providing the body with necessary vitamins and microelements.
The list of allowed foods
To reduce symptoms of osteoarthritis it is necessary to follow a diet. It is important to know what foods to eat is not dangerous. And most importantly – useful for bone and cartilage. Enriching your diet such foods, you can quickly feel the positive result.
Healthy foods for osteoarthritis:
- chicken eggs (should eat no more than 2-3 pieces a day) is the most easily digestible source of protein and healthy fats;
- unpolished rice contains a lot of vitamin B1, slow carbohydrates, which will help you stay satisfied longer;
- dairy products – the main source of calcium and phosphorus, which are necessary to preserve bone density, it is better to choose products with low degree of fat;
- gelatin, it is made from bones and cartilage of animals, so it contains a lot of collagen and elastin – the main components of joint tissue;
- greens, particularly spinach, this plant is rich in micronutrients and vitamins (iron, vitamin A, C), an indispensable product for patients with osteoarthritis;
- dried fruits, candied fruits, bananas, legumes are all sources of potassium and magnesium, which are beneficial for the cardiovascular and muscular systems;
- lean meats (chicken, rabbit) saturates the body with protein, essential fatty acids, b vitamins, and low calories;
- source of vitamin E – nuts of all kinds, the difference varieties only in the concentration of the substance, it is contained in almonds, cashews, pine nuts;
- marine fish contains a lot of vitamins, iron, phosphorus, therefore it is useful both for figures and for joints, it is important to use it correctly, not salted and roasted;
- Aronia, blueberries have a restorative effect, supports the immune system contain large amounts of antioxidants, which helps to preserve youth;
- spices, the benefits have all kinds of pepper, coriander, ginger, cinnamon, and herbs – dill, Basil, parsley, oregano;
- all the fruits and berries which contain large amounts of vitamin C (citrus, blueberries, rosehips, apples, pomegranate), they are good as a whole and in juice form;
- onions and garlic have antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory effects, which prevents the development of arthritis;
- fish broth is rich in protein and components of cartilage – chondroitin sulfate;
- pineapples help to keep body weight normal, contain vitamins and enzymes that help the body to inactivate harmful substances;
- a variety of cereals (buckwheat, oats, corn, millet) contain slow carbohydrates, which are long saturate the body and vitamins;
- avocado, sunflower seeds – source of healthy, unsaturated fatty acids and vitamin E – powerful antioxidant;
- potatoes – available source of b vitamins, potassium and magnesium, it is better to eat baked with the skin.
Forbidden foods for osteoarthritis
In any diet there are restrictions. But we should remember that starvation, the so-called cleansing and fasting days brings harm to the digestive system and body as a whole, it is impossible to Deplete your body of hunger. Is attentive to planning your diet to include lots of wholesome ingredients and a minimum of harmful.
Diet for osteoarthritis includes a waiver of the following products for a long time:
- sugar and all products that contain it (you have to remember that he is present in many foods, such as packaged juices, canned fruit and even sausage) – fast carbs contribute to weight gain and are not useful for the body;
- salt – the surplus accumulated in the joint cavity, deforming it, and besides, this spice increases blood pressure;
- alcohol – interferes with absorption of nutrients in the intestines, stimulates the appetite, inhibits the process of fat digestion, causing indigestion;
- fatty meat, sausages, semi-finished products, the fat in large quantities, smoked, fatty, fried food, mayonnaise, sauces – all this contributes to weight gain;
- pickles, tomatoes, mushrooms and other preservation;
- fatty dairy products.
General guidelines in preparing the menu
The basic rule of a healthy diet – balance, the right balance between all types of nutrients.
The food must meet the following criteria:
- the freshness and quality of products;
- the variety of dishes;
- daily consumption of enough water;
- the regularity of meals;
- compliance with the energy value of consumed food and energy expenditure;
- legkousvoyaemogo products.
You should stick to a fractional power mode for osteoarthritis: take food 5-6 times a day in small portions. Such system allows to speed up the metabolism and reduce the amount of stomach so you can eat much less amount of food than before.
The last meal you need to plan no less than 3.5-4 hours before bedtime. Night digestive system needs to rest. Morning is best to start with two glasses of pure water in 30 minutes – Breakfast, then half an hour before each meal drink a glass of water.
The main substances which determine the plastic energy and the value of food – proteins, fats and carbohydrates. Their optimal ratio in the daily diet of 1:1:4. In day the average person weighing 70 kg is recommended to eat about 100-130 grams of protein, as much fat and 400-450 grams of carbohydrates. To achieve reduction of body weight you need to reduce carbohydrate intake in the second half of the day. Thus to give preference to the so-called slow carbohydrates – those that take a long time to support blood sugar levels, don’t call it spike. It’s a whole grain bread, all types of cereals, vegetables.
Also, in order to reduce weight is to replace all foods with high fat content (cheese, sour cream, milk) for their counterparts with a low percentage of fat. Instead of sweets is better to choose fruits, candied fruits, dried fruits. To use them preferably in the form of snacks between main meals. It is not necessary to eat the main dish, fruits for dessert, it causes fermentation in the stomach, which leads to excessive flatulence, bad breath, weight.
It is important to monitor the water balance, the optimal amount of water – 50 ml per 1 kg of body weight. Sufficient saturation of the organism moisture promotes the regeneration of tissues at any stage of the disease.
In case of arthrosis of the knee joint
Patients with gonarthrosis (arthrosis of the knee) is completely eliminate all types of fatty meat from the diet. Is contraindicated such vegetables as tomatoes, cabbage, bell pepper, sour fruits (lemons, cherries). They contribute to the excessive acidification of the blood, which creates optimal conditions for the precipitation of salts and their deposition in the joints.
People afflicted with osteoarthritis of the knee joint is to be careful to physical stress. Of course, they are necessary, but it is important to ensure that you do not give unnecessary strain on the knee. Therefore, therapeutic gymnastics is best done with a professional trainer.
In case of arthrosis of the shoulder joint
In this form of the disease need to consume foods high in potassium: baked potatoes, dried apricots, prunes, raisins and nuts. But don’t overdo it, 50 grams of dried fruit a day is enough.
You need to love water, fruit and vegetables with high content (cucumbers, watermelons). The capsule of the shoulder joint very vulnerable, and its main protection is shoulder muscles. In order to strengthen them, you need to eat foods rich in protein, and regularly exercise this muscle group. This will help to eliminate the main symptom – limitation.
With arthrosis of hip joint
Osteoarthritis can seriously restrict movement and affect quality of human life. In order to quickly restore function of the joint, you must consume foods with lots of protein and vitamins. Recommended to give preference to fish and mushroom soups, low-fat boiled meat.
In the season of shortage of fruits and vegetables you can resort to intake of vitamin supplements. But about their application it is necessary to consult with the doctor.
Food for osteoarthritis of toe joint
In case of arthrosis of the ankle and small joints of the feet healthy fresh orange, pineapple and pomegranate juices with no added sugar. Well, if they will be present in the diet daily. If it is not possible to squeeze the juice, include these fruits in their pure form.
To reduce the load on the joints of the foot, it is important to monitor their weight. A preference for plant foods, lean meat and dairy products.
Popular recipes in osteoarthritis
To eat healthy does not mean tasteless.
To diversify the menu, make it interesting and useful, will help the following recipes:
- Baked mackerel with potatoes. Wash, clean and gut a fish. Put it on foil, sprinkle with lemon juice and pepper to taste. Next put well washed, cut into 4 pieces potatoes (with peel), drizzle with olive oil and wrap it all in foil. Bake in the oven at 180 degrees for 35-40 minutes. To taste you can add mustard seeds, herbs, spices.
- Salad vegetables. Shred beets, carrots, cabbage. Add a little salt, lemon juice. To fill with vegetable oil or low-fat homemade yogurt.
- Dessert with cottage cheese. Cottage cheese with low percentage of fat (300 grams) pour in the bowl of a blender, put 2 tablespoons of sour cream, honey to taste. Beat until smooth. Add berries or dried fruit as desired.
People with osteoarthritis are not recommended are the same products that any person who adheres to the principles of proper nutrition. The list of permitted foods is much more than a list of prohibitions. Diet will be easy, if you make your menu delicious and varied.