Paroxysmal or persistent back pain is reason to consult a doctor and undergo a clinical examination for the presence of disc protrusion of the lumbar spine.
Its a direct consequence of the often dangerous changes – sciatica, hernia, treated difficult.
This will help avoid offered by modern medicine a series of measures aimed at treatment and rehabilitation of patients with this pathology of the intervertebral disc.
Treatment of protrusion of the spine assigns a neurologist, you often need to consult a spinal cord specialist.
Drug therapy involves the reception of the following drug groups in the form of tablets and ointments, gels:
- nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs);
- muscle relaxant, relaxing muscles;
- vitamins that strengthen the muscles and nerves.
NSAIDs – a group of active substances with significant side effects, is appointed during periods of severe pain, including spinal diseases, when no medical assistance is not cope. Pain during protrusion can be pretty strong.
Remedies for topical application are exposed to doctors criticism. The fact that the protective barriers of the skin “tuned” the body to miss a minimum of substances from the environment. For this reason, some patients did not help creams and gels. Each person has a different sensitivity of the skin. Definitely to the conclusion about the futility of local NSAIDs cannot be, but consider this feature worth it.
The most commonly used NSAIDs:
- Analgin. Widely known analgesic. Unlike other NSAIDs, has a significant advantage: does not give side effects on the gastrointestinal tract. Causes reversible changes of blood: reduces the number of white blood cells, anemia occurs. Has a strong analgesic effect. Has mild anti-inflammatory effect.
- Diclofenac. To achieve a pronounced therapeutic effect of the drug tablets can be combined with the injections.
- Naproxen. Eliminates pain sensation effectively of diclofenac. Over-the-counter drug.
- Ketorolac. A powerful analgesic effect. Has the same pronounced side effects, like all the previous meds. The drug is used in severe pain in the postoperative period and in cancer.
- Meloxicam. All three produced effects the most distinguished anti-inflammatory effect. Spares the gastrointestinal tract. In this regard, earned the love of rheumatology.
Contraindications to the use of NSAIDs:
- pregnancy and breast-feeding;
- children’s and teenage age (till 12 years);
- peptic ulcer disease and inflammation in the digestive tract;
- in old age only under the supervision of a physician.
In Russia, the patients attitude to them is usually strictly polar. On prescription end of drug list vitamins react differently. Some people find it extremely useful. And with a light heart buy drugs.
Neurobion contains b vitamins
Other people are vitamins very negative. Believe that everything you need can be obtained from food, supplements to cure such a serious illness is impossible. I think that for pharmaceutical companies, voicing the need to take vitamin tablets, it’s just a way of extorting money from the population.
Found effective remedy for pains and for the treatment of joints:
- natural composition,
- with no side effects
- efficiency, proven expert,
- a quick result.
However, data for many medical studies have shown that the combined vitamin preparations in conjunction with NSAIDs give a pronounced analgesic effect. However, in the case of disorders in the spinal column we are talking about a specific group of b vitamins. Drugs must contain thiamine (B1), pyridoxine (B6) and cyanocobalamin (B12).
The pharmacy today offers quite a large range of medicines:
- Milgamma (additionally contains lidocaine);
- I solved this problem (in part also Niacin and folic acid).
Traditionally massage is considered to be an extremely effective tool in the treatment of protrusions and hernias and other neurological disorders.
According to recent studies, massage, as well as folk medicine not directly improves the course of the underlying disease. But indirectly produces a powerful positive effect.
So ignore the massage is not worth it. Conjunction with basic therapy in the treatment of disease massage ensures a more rapid recovery. It can be combined with the use of warming gels or anti-inflammatory based on plant extracts, which is in abundance in pharmacies.
As a result of course of massage is improved circulation, muscle relaxation. But to completely get rid of the disease they will not work. Showing some of the symptoms massage relieve. And dangerous complications protrusion is still recommended treatment prescribed by the doctor which includes taking medications, and exercise.
As first aid at home will suit light restorative massage. It can be done independently. Mash the skin with light stroking movements. Focus on pain, they should not increase.
Therapeutic massage therapist conducts with medical education. There is an opinion that a truly effective massage needs to be painful. It is a myth. If the pain persists after the third session of therapeutic massage, you must inform your doctor.
Patients with disc protrusion of the lumbar spine will also be useful manual massage. Manual massage is carried out with the use of manual techniques.
This method of healing is based on the premise that the cause of neurological disorders – muscle spasms or incorrect position of muscles, joints, ligaments, bones. Palpation the chiropractor conducts the examination. Special techniques it can allow the musculoskeletal system to its normal condition.
Manual medicine – an effective method of treatment of protrusion of the spine. All the tools and techniques developed to address the infringement of nerve fibers and blood vessels, normalization of injured muscles.
When choosing a specialist, consider a few factors. A competent chiropractor is a skilled professional who graduated from state medical University, neurologist, spine, orthopedic sports medicine physician. Professional who can be trusted, before the session will examine x-ray of the spine or CT/MRI, find out whether there are patient contraindications.
Three key techniques of manual therapy for the treatment and strengthening of the spine, muscles and ligaments.
- Manipulation. With its help, the chiropractor restores joint mobility. Effects on tissues jerky, short.
- Mobilization. Is traction – in the case of the vertebrae, and to relieve spasm in muscles and increase the mobility of the joint. A chiropractor has an impact in the form of frequent rhythmic movements.
- Soft techniques of manual therapy, which include in particular, and post isometric relaxation. Particularly indicated for acute pain, severe conditions. Movements are performed smoothly. Remove permanent spasm of the muscles caused by overwork or constant voltage.
Exercises with protrusion will improve blood flow, relax the muscles. Should do gymnastics for the spine as much. Exercises developed by a great many. But not all of them suitable for people with diseases of the musculoskeletal system. Some exercises may aggravate the problem.
The medicinal treatment of the disease only reduces the severity of symptoms. And feasible regular physical exercise – a sure cure. Protrusion exercises will not be removed, but will disappear stiffness and lower back pain. As a result, improve the quality of life.
Gymnastic complex, aimed at stretching and relaxation of the muscles. Suitable for beginners to complete at home.
- Lie down, rest elbows on floor, knees bent, feet flat on the floor. Slowly raise your head, lifting your body from the floor to the middle of the back. To pull the spine. 3-4 of inhalation and exhalation in this position.
- Lie on the floor. Straighten arms to the sides. Put your palm vertically. Stretch. To monitor the voltage in the cervical spine. It will be a reflex. Reach with hands for 4 breath cycles (inhale-exhale).
- To bend feet in knees, to pull the thigh closer to the abdomen. On the exhale take the knees and hips to the side, hitting the ground on the inhale, lift up, exhale to the other side. To do 5 feet leads on each side.
- Lower leg, fully straighten, the heels of myself, socks pulled over, push the lower back into the floor, hands reaching for the wall behind the head, heels to try to get away from the pelvis. 3-4 of inhalation and exhalation.
- Sit on the floor, legs straight. Lean forward, bend your knees. The stomach rests on the thighs. Hands relaxed, touch the feet. Feel the hamstring strain. Find a comfortable position, keeping a slight stretching of the tendon without pain. Do not tear the belly from the thighs. Stay in this position for 1-3 minutes.
For the best effect for your spine after 30 minutes, you can repeat the complex.
More and more doctors say that surgical intervention is resorted to in extreme cases. Specifics of treatment of the protrusion leads the patient to a long remission, if you correctly pick drug therapy and not only. As noted by neurologists, significant improvement occurs with a combination of medications and therapeutic exercises. And exercise plays a significant role.
Despite the wide availability and prevalence of surgical intervention Protocol for the treatment of protrusions and hernias remains unchanged. Only 1% of neurological diagnoses are subject to manipulation.
But there is a special symptoms of protrusion of the lumbar spine in which an emergency operation is indicated:
- numbness in the crotch area with the development of weakness in the foot;
- disorder of pelvic organs (most often, it is acute urinary retention);
- protrusion intensively developing into nearby tissues.
In all other situations, as a rule, the doctor prescribes conservative therapy. As the protrusion is monitored for a minimum of 6 weeks. At the end of the Council of physicians makes a decision about the operation.
Prevention of the protrusion is necessary even for healthy people, it will prevent early wear and tear of the vertebrae. Those discs, which are subjected to constant overload, sooner or later they crack and begin to break down. First, in the fibrous ring of the intervertebral disc formed a small crack, then protrusion, and then the hernia.
Significant harm to the spine brings increased axial load. Axial load on the vertebrae occurs when one lifts heavy objects, having well-developed muscles. For an untrained person of average years and older margin of the goods in the hands of about 3-5 kg. Without a properly strengthened back muscles load will make the spine and its vertebrae are not designed for this.
People at risk for disorders of the spine, leading a sedentary lifestyle, prolonged stay in a sitting position at work, it is important to follow several guidelines to protect your spine.
- Alternating loads. It is important to change periods of work and leisure of muscles.
- Punctuate sedentary work light, short intense physical exercises. Will benefit not only the spine, muscles and ligaments, but also the brain. Good circulation will provide clarity of thinking, your own tasks will be more effective.
- To get rid of excess weight, which overloads the spine.
- To sleep on a hard orthopaedic mattress.
- At rest in the supine position, a small pillow placed in the lumbar region and relieve the spine and muscles, preventing their overuse.
Outside the period of exacerbation of the spine useful exercise. The format may be different: pool, gym, group classes, or just daily charging at home. This will prevent further transition of the protrusion in the hernial protrusion.
Diagnosis and treatment of protrusion of the spine should hold a certified neurologist. Folk remedies alternative medicine can only remove part of the signs of the disease.
Method of recovery depends on the severity of the pain symptom. Involves taking painkillers, relaxing and strengthening the musculoskeletal system of medicines.
As a subsidiary element in the treatment Protocol of protrusion of the spine can be added:
- massage (relaxing and restorative);
Physical activity is essential for rehabilitation. Further exercises will allow you to maintain remission in the treatment of the protrusion.
To get rid of back pain due to protrusion of spinal discs will help a set of measures. It includes not only the treatment group of drugs with anti-inflammatory, antipyretic and analgesic action. To support drug therapy need massage, physiotherapy procedures, physical therapy, active lifestyle and positive attitude.