The causes of insomnia are many, and the most common are psychological problems, violation of the usual routine, drinking alcohol, strong coffee drunk before bedtime, and overeating in the evening, especially heavy, fatty foods.
Insomnia can be caused by intense mental work, noisy games, fascinating reading before bedtime or smoking.
It also arises from overwork or constant expectation of a bad sleep and related experiences, as well as inadequate physical activity. If a person is in a state of deep depression, then he also falls asleep with difficulty or cannot sleep at all.
With insomnia, you can use the beneficial properties of vegetables, fruits, herbs, wild herbs, but there are other products that help to fall asleep – although eating at night is usually not recommended.
It is recommended to use these products for dinner, and before going to bed, drink infusion of oregano, chamomile tea, kefir or milk with honey.
- Warm milk is usually drunk at night in many countries, as it has calming properties: milk contains the useful amino acid tryptophan and calcium. Tryptophan soothes, and calcium helps its absorption.
- A great option is oatmeal. It gives a feeling of warmth and satiety, it has a lot of fiber, and besides, it contains melatonin, the sleep hormone. If you add warm milk and honey to freshly prepared porridge, then your sleep will be even calmer.
- There is a lot of serotonin in bananas, which also contributes to a good night’s sleep, but there are also enough calories in bananas. However, you should not worry, because only half of the banana is enough not to think about insomnia.
- Chamomile infusion with honey is an excellent folk home sleeping pill. It is enough to drink a glass of infusion before bedtime, adding only one teaspoon of honey, so that anxiety recedes, and the effects of daytime stress soften.
- You can even just drink green tea with chocolate candy – this will be enough if insomnia has not yet taken a neglected form.
Herbal Recipes for Sleep
The following folk recipes will also help you fall asleep soon:
- The well-known hawthorn, which doctors often recommend for neurosis, heart disease and hypertension, also eliminates insomnia. Fruits can be added to tea or brewed separately: 20 g of fruit per glass of water. Every time you need to brew fresh hawthorn and drink it 3 times a day, 30 minutes before eating.
- Oregano flowers are rich in essential oils and tannins. This herb is often used for various female problems. It has a calming effect, therefore, it is recommended for insomnia. Oregano can be bought at the pharmacy or assembled by yourself – it must be collected during the flowering period. The stems of the grass are removed, and the leaves and flowers are brewed like tea and drunk before bedtime.
- Peppermint infusion improves well-being and calms, dilates blood vessels, relieves spasms. Peppermint contains an oil consisting of flavonoids, organic acids, menthol, carotene and other active substances. At night you need to drink a mint infusion: pour 1 tbsp. l leaves with a glass of boiling water and insist 20 minutes. You can just add a few mint leaves to regular tea – better choose green.
- If you have difficulty falling asleep because you are too excited during the day, drink celery infusion. Chopped herbs (20 g) are poured with a glass of boiling water, insisted for 30 minutes, filtered and drunk 3 times a day, ½ cup each.
- Pumpkin juice is useful not only for edema of various origins, obesity and hypertension. If you drink a glass of pumpkin juice with honey at night, then insomnia will cease to torment, and sleep will be deeper.
- Peony tincture is sold in pharmacies, but you can prepare it at home: so you probably will know what you are taking. It is necessary to grind the root of the evading peony, take 10 g and pour them with alcohol (100 ml) in a dark glass bottle, close tightly and insist for a month in a dark place. Take 2-3 times a day for 20-25 drops with cooled boiled water (100 ml). The last trick is before bedtime.
- Honey can be consumed at night not only with warm water or milk – there are a lot of popular recipes for insomnia with honey. You can drink honey for 1-2 weeks during the day: 60-100 g of honey for 500-800 ml of cooled boiled water, drink 3-4 times a day for 120-200 ml, the last dose is half an hour before bedtime. After 1-2 weeks, the condition will improve.
- In a cup of honey, stir 3 tsp. apple cider vinegar, and take this mixture before bedtime, 2 tsp. In half an hour, a dream will come. If you wake up in the middle of the night, you can take the mixture again.
- With a glass of lemon juice, mix 2 tbsp. walnut and buckwheat honey – to a homogeneous mass. Take 1 tbsp. for the night.
- Lemon juice and honey are mixed in equal parts. The mixture is taken at night for 1 tablespoon, washed down with warm tea.
Baths for insomnia
In the fight against insomnia, a good remedy is the adoption of various baths. Warm sleeping pills with the addition of essential oils are very effective: peppermint (five drops), chamomile (two drops) and orange (two drops). Take a bath should be in the evening before going to bed.
Hot foot baths at night also relieve fatigue, calm the nervous system, and improve sleep. Fragrant plants can also be used in soothing bathtubs that promote good sleep. Sometimes it’s enough to take baths several times with calendula flowers, grass of a string, mint, oregano, and sleep will normalize.
Coniferous baths are also very effective.
- Coniferous baths or baths made of calendula, mint and oregano flowers are prepared as follows: 50 grams of spruce cones or needles or 50 grams of calendula, mint and oregano flowers in three liters of boiling water, then strain and pour into a bathtub with slightly warm water (34-35 ° C). Take such a bath before bedtime for 10 minutes three times a week, for a total of 5-7 times.
- Baths with a broth of valerian serve to calm the heart and the entire nervous system. They lower spinal cord arousal and are especially recommended for nervous insomnia. You should lie still in the water, closing your eyes and drawing pleasant pictures in your imagination (blue expanse of the lake, etc.). This enhances the effect of muscle relaxation, without which good sleep is impossible. After the bath, you do not need to rub the body so as not to cause excitement, it is better to just wrap yourself in a towel or sheet. It is recommended to go to bed immediately after taking a bath.
- A bath with chamomile, valerian, motherwort and peppermint is called comfortable, and they take it half an hour before bedtime – after which you will be guaranteed a quiet sleep until the morning. The herbs are mixed in equal parts, pour 200 g of the mixture with boiling water (2 l), boil for 20 minutes on low heat, poured into a bath and take it for 15-20 minutes. Water temperature 36-40 ° С.
- A good sleep provides lavender oil. You can lubricate them with whiskey before bedtime, or drip a few drops on a piece of sugar, put under the tongue and slowly dissolve.
You can use any folk remedies for insomnia, but if you are not left with the idea that you will not be able to fall asleep, and you do not believe in it, no matter how hard you try, efforts can really be in vain. Try to control your thoughts that interfere with your sleep.